Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I suppose one could develop carpal tunnel trying to break into medication packets?  I'll wager that's one side effect not listed!

Also kneading dough for tagliatelle ill not do that again, the young assistant chef can make it for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Lizzie we get a repeat prescription when needed without having to go back to dr . Chemist keeps track. I know mum used to get repeat prescriptions and they were delivered to her. When she came here she had to reduce her medication as it was too high / too strong. She thought she wouldn't be able to resist aches and pains. A private dr said her medication was enough for a cart horse and was so cross that she was taking so much of a thing she didn't need. 

If we happen to ask the chemist for an anti biotic for instance she will let us have it without a prescription BUT will keep a record of it and get the prescription directly from the Doctor. Don't think this would happen outside the village but she's known us since 1970 and Alex and her were school friends. 

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

They did make me a prosthesis to stick onto the half finger but the novelty of pulling it off to frighten children soon wore off!

Does the ‘half finger’ get sore Phil?   Years ago an old neighbour, a retired farmer, had only half an index finger due to a farming accident.  He ALWAYS wore a dirty little cover over the end as it became very tender.  

No, it's fine and working. They made a first class job of it. I was conscious during the op and there were loads of people there. I think I was being used as a training exercise! I had to keep going back to Derby on a weekly basis to have the dressing changed and they wouldn't let me drive for some time. I was classed as a geriatric but when I told them I'd just bought a Porsche 911 they reconsidered their opinion!

Groooowl...Just got back from the eye doctors.  He's making me an apptmt' for cataract surgery.  I knew it was coming, my vision has been getting less focused for a while.  Worst one is my left eye.  Mrs. L had it done 3or 4 years ago.  She doesn't even need glasses now.

I'm surprised they renewed my drivers license last week.  :biggrin:   Joys of gerrin ode!. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They put the correction in your eye now, Loppy. You won't need your gig lamps any more. You see, you CAN teach an old hound new tricks!

At any rate, you're luckier than JSB in 1685. The operation in those days was thought to have contributed largely to his demise.

• Like 1

Evening!!  I sincerely hope all are getting over or at least dealing with their aches and pains...

Saw a Doc yesterday. who assurred me there was no sign of neurological damage to my back, but said she could se I was obviously 'struggling'.  She offered stronger pain relief than Co-codamol 30/500 but I refused. I'm nt 'hard'.. I just don't want to go that route.

Today I woke up able to walk without two sticks and a dose of Codeine.. Have had no Codeine since 10 pm yesterday.  Still a constant ache but the mind numbing intense pain that caused involuntary gasps and groans has eased a lot.
Even managed to drive the mile or so to GP Surgery for my flu jab.... which was nice.

My back is still clearly out of line. I mean.. literally.. my hips are not vertically below my shoulders.. it looks very odd. .So I self referred to Physio.. who came back to me today by text with an 'appointment' for a 'telephone assessment'...at the end of October..  The phrase 'Chocolate Fireguard' springs to mind.... Too little. too late.  I may need to seek out an Osteopath or Chiropractor.

Still it's getting easier. and staying off the Codeine means I can have a beer.. which is a lot nicer.

I can't stay on the PC chair for long though..

And Cardiology have sent me an appointment to get 'wired up' for another 24 hour EGC thingy.

And the Doc I saw yesterday about my back.. wants to see me about my ticker.. and also wants 'bloods' to look at my.. errr.blood.

Progress.. I think..

Hope your more comfy today DJ. Having a few beers can have a pain killing affect, so go for it. Anything that makes your pain bearable.

A good few years ago, Chris hurt his back, whilst entertaining friends one 'Bonfire Night'. He was in agony on the floor,  in those days the doctors came out, on a remark about alcohol being a pain relief, the doctor agreed, but said either whiskey or pain killers. Not Both.  I'll let you guess which one he chose.

Last week I made a phone appointment (FIrst time ever)with my new doctor about some results that I was waiting for. It felt as though I had been forgotten.

Three day Holter monitor in July..........Stable result......Whoopeeeeee.

Thyroid results.................OK.....  Yahooooooo

Colonoscopy I should have had in March, but still no appointment.......Doc is going to chase up, to find out why the delay?  I bet I know why.........begins with C and ends in 19. At least now I am not worrying that I have just got lost in a pile on a desk somewhere?

Today we are both having our flue jabs, so a bit of peace of mind on some scores.

• Like 2

Apologies. I haven't really looked on here for days as couldn't really sit at the P.C.  Thanks for the enquiries.  Much better. Please see my reply to Jim in 'How's Your Day'

• Like 2

Had the flu jab on Saturday. The nurse noticed the last pneumonia jab was 2008, so overdue. Gave it me there and then, in the other arm. Have to say, it ached more than I remember, and felt sore under my armpit. Alright now, though. It will last ten years "unless the advice changes" so determined to live long enough to need a couple more...........

11 minutes ago, oldphil said:

Alright now, though. It will last ten years "unless the advice changes"

I had a pneumonia jab a couple of years ago apparently, I honestly can’t remember having it but the Practice Nurse said I’d had one when I had my Annual Health Check recently.  I had the Shingles jab last year too.  However I was under the impression that the pneumonia jab protects a person for life ....... maybe it depends how old you are as to how long ‘life’ is expected to be ......

• Like 1

This morning went for my EMG on my hand. Pleased it's not carpal tunnel syndrome it's as the X-ray results said. Arthrosis but have CTS in the other hand. I have to collect my results next Monday and I have to see an orthopedic. If I can't get an appointment quick I'm going privately. The dr this morning told me what it was and what to do but I need the official result to show my dr. It's so painful and it's making me feel really old as it's now restricting me , even when I have to open a door. I can use the other hand but sometimes it's awkward. Any pressure to do things including opening a bottle is agony . I found a way by using a nutcracker to take the cap off but now holding the bottle is difficult to keep it still whilst I open it. I don't like being old.

• Like 1

It must be very painful Nonna, inconvenient and awkward too.  I pray that I never have a problem with my right hand as I’m totally useless with my left, I can’t even cut my right hand finger nails.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

It must be very painful Nonna, inconvenient and awkward too.  I pray that I never have a problem with my right hand as I’m totally useless with my left, I can’t even cut my right hand finger nails.  

Lizzie it's my left hand that hurts. Deborah said " good job it's not your right hand"  but I'm right handed and thought , that's ok but think how many times you use your left to assist your right. Not easy.

29 minutes ago, Brew said:

Not worth being in pain nonna, do whatever you can to sort it, lifes too short..

Thats what I'm trying to do. Can't think how it started apart from kneading some dough for pasta but it wasn't particularly painful , just an "ooh that hurt" then passed. Maybe when I fell it made it worse. Who knows.

Having just read Margie’s post about hopping up the stairs has prompted me to ask if any of you can achieve a certain exercise.

When I went to see my Colorectal Surgeon the other week I was on the couch and he asked me to put my ankles together and lift both legs (straight) at the same time.  I hadn’t got a hope in hell of managing that, in fact I couldn’t even THINK about doing it.  It’s an exercise used to check muscle strength in patients who’ve had abdominal surgery (like me).  I saw my son a few days later and told him about it.  He lay on the floor and lifted his legs without any effort at all, but then he’s about 30 years my junior.  
Go on, give it a go and make me feel very unfit :(