Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

On 9/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, LizzieM said:

I had a pneumonia jab a couple of years ago apparently, I honestly can’t remember having it but the Practice Nurse said I’d had one when I had my Annual Health Check recently.  I had the Shingles jab last year too.  However I was under the impression that the pneumonia jab protects a person for life ....... maybe it depends how old you are as to how long ‘life’ is expected to be ......

Similar confusion here.  I'm sure I had a Pneumonia jab years ago. and you are supposed to only need one for life.  But they offered me another this time at the Flu clinic and I refused it.

Looking back at my record it seems I've also picked up a Shingles jab along the way.

There's a joke in there somewhere.... ;)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Similar confusion here.  I'm sure I had a Pneumonia jab years ago. and you are supposed to only need one for life.  But they offered me another this time at the Flu clinic and I refused it.

I had my flu jab a week last Saturday. She checked, and told me my last Pneumonia jab was 2008 ( the heart attack year) and was now overdue. She gave me a Pneumonia jab, in the other arm, so they both ached for a bit. she told me that the Pneumonia jab will last ten years "unless Government advice changes"

I've treated meself to a Heart rate monitor and also a blood pressure monitor , both arrived this morning. Going to have a read of the destructions so I can keep an eye on if I'm still living. :rolleyes: I think I might send away for a Do -it-Yourself Stent kit, see if I can cut out the middle man. NB, had me flu jab last Friday, I'm sure she used a Javelin.

• Like 2

Well, I've tried me blood pressure monitor on a test drive and would you credit, I am alive ! Who'da thunk it.

• Tomorrow I'm going to give the heart monitor a test run. Then when I've got 10 minutes after coffee, I'll look for a cure for the Common Cold, :rolleyes:
  • 2 weeks later...

As I've posted before, I have Arthrosis in my left hand and after many months of pain I thought I had found a solution. I saw an orthopaedic dr last Monday and he gave me an injection into the joint at the base of my thumb. I nearly hit the ceiling the pain was terrible but it gradually eased on the way home. I can say that all week I've had increased pain in my hand especially my wrist and thumb. I go for another injection tomorrow. The other day my daughter was asking me why didn't I try cannibis. I nearly hit the roof but she said she meant the medicinal type. To cut a long story short I ordered a tub of what is called Hemp Active Gel made by 5 Kind clinical skincare. I've only used it twice ( morning and evening) but don't want to say success because I'm not sure. I will say though that last night I could move my hand and wrist but this morning it's back to where it was, pain on movement. Now not sure whether the injection has finally kicked in or whether it's the Hemp. I think I will have to experiment by leaving the gel and going through with the 2 more injections and see what the result is.  

I didn't take the decision to buy this gel lightly. I looked into all the reviews and info I could and found it was highly recommended for joint pain. Has anyone tried this sort of treatment?  I've always been careful about even conventional medication and hate taking tablets or rather when I start to feel the benefit I forget to finish the course. It would be interesting to hear what you've seen or heard about it or even tried it.

A friend of mine takes turmeric for arthritic pain. He is almost 70, has suffered from arthritis for years and has never taken conventional painkillers as he is suspicious of them.  He was sceptical of the claims made for turmeric but has to admit that it works. It is also an anticoagulant and therefore shouldn't be used if taking prescription anticoagulants.  The only prescribed item he takes is Levothyroxine, like myself, so it's fine for him to take turmeric.

• Like 1

Nonna after reading your post on Active Gel I have just ordered some. The pain from my shoulder and leg only lets me have at the most 2 hrs sleep at a time. I saw the Consultant this week re my shoulder revision, I was going to have it replaced 18 months ago but due to other medical problems I had to cancel. He offered to carry out the op but after listing the possible problems it worried me , then he went into the problems with the current Corona situation ,with the wife being in the extremely vulnerable group I decided to postpone the op for 6 months. He said I had made the right choice.

Here's hoping the Gel works, I am fed up taking pain killers, all I want is a good nights sleep. Hope either the injections or gel works for you.

• Like 1

Trogg I hope the gel works for you. I think I've decided to leave the gel for the moment until my injections have finished. ( a week tomorrow) that way I will be able to tell if they have worked or not. In case of they haven't worked I have the gel to fall back on. Good luck.

Jill I have been using Curcuma ( turmeric) for a while but not consistently . I drink golden tea but not too fond of the taste. I did buy a ready made tub of it as it was quicker to make.I put it in soups and salads. A while ago I found some fresh turmeric in the local supermarket and grated it to put in various things. I've just made myself a chickpea and tuna salad and added just a sprinkling of curcuma and a couple of gratings of black pepper which releases the curcum  quicker.

How does your friend take it?

He buys it from Holland & Barratt, health foods. It is in concentrated form as it would be very difficult to get sufficient by using turmeric in food, although he loves curries!

Last year, he had a hernia repair and was told to stop taking turmeric for some days before the op. It was only when he left it off that he realised how effective it was!  It can't cure arthritis, of course, but for him it makes a huge difference to the discomfort.

• Like 1

Yes Jill I was waiting for the colder weather to come and I was going to add some turmeric to take to increase my consumption. In fact the curries are made minus turmeric and already in the freezer to which I'll add when I come to use it for lunch or dinner. It'll be a change for me because I haven't eaten meat at all during the summer. Vegetables in every way possible.

12 hours ago, nonnaB said:

As I've posted before, I have Arthrosis in my left hand and after many months of pain I thought I had found a solution. I saw an orthopaedic dr last Monday and he gave me an injection into the joint at the base of my thumb. I nearly hit the ceiling the pain was terrible but it gradually eased on the way home. I can say that all week I've had increased pain in my hand especially my wrist and thumb. I go for another injection tomorrow. The other day my daughter was asking me why didn't I try cannibis. I nearly hit the roof but she said she meant the medicinal type. To cut a long story short I ordered a tub of what is called Hemp Active Gel made by 5 Kind clinical skincare. I've only used it twice ( morning and evening) but don't want to say success because I'm not sure. I will say though that last night I could move my hand and wrist but this morning it's back to where it was, pain on movement. Now not sure whether the injection has finally kicked in or whether it's the Hemp. I think I will have to experiment by leaving the gel and going through with the 2 more injections and see what the result is.  

I didn't take the decision to buy this gel lightly. I looked into all the reviews and info I could and found it was highly recommended for joint pain. Has anyone tried this sort of treatment?  I've always been careful about even conventional medication and hate taking tablets or rather when I start to feel the benefit I forget to finish the course. It would be interesting to hear what you've seen or heard about it or even tried it.

Hi there-  Ians wife JILL here!  Please keep me posted on your progress, l suffer with arthritis in my knees and lymphedema in my legs, been on medication for my condition for so long that they dont work for me anymore. My daughter also keeps bugging me to try the Hemp and medical marijuana, my physician also asked if l would like to try the pill form with no side effects and no smell! 

But being from the old school ( thinking its a sin) trying any of these types of therapeutics l wont here of it!!!!

Recently they all became legal in Canada, so on two occasions l have got as far as the front door of the shop that sells it but l just can make myself get out of the car to make a purchase!  Maybe the third try going will be lucky for me and l will go in and give it a try! Lol

Our local pharmacist, a very lovely and helpful man, has had such severe arthritis for many years, I’ve known him for 16 years and until I took time to chat with him I always thought he’d been a polio victim as his hands and feet are terribly deformed.  He makes up and drinks a concoction of turmeric and some sort of vinegar every day.  I’ve discussed this since with his wife (who is also a pharmacist) as my husband has arthritis in his back.  She said it’s not necessary to drink his recipe but to just buy the turmeric capsules, which I did.   I can’t say whether they work because my husband isn’t very good at remembering to take herbal/alternative remedies.  
As for the CBD oil, they’ve started selling that in our pharmacy too but the dose is very low and the pharmacist reckons it will help if your brain wants it to work!   

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Pharmacist not into patent medicines eh?  Wise man..

Seems so LL.  just remembered it’s Apple Cider Vinegar he said to mix Turmeric with. It seems it’s quite the miracle ingredient when used on its own too.  

Another friend has been advised to take apple cider vinegar for acid reflux.  She's already on Omeprazole which doesn't seem to do the job.

At times, I have problems with stomach acid. It's unpleasant. I've also had a couple of stomach ulcers, the first when I was 18. My father was prone to acid problems and always seemed to have a bottle of Aludrox to hand. I think Gaviscon has replaced that nowadays.

Personally, I can't see how apple cider vinegar could help acid reflux. It's just pouring more acid on the problem.

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Seems so LL.  just remembered it’s Apple Cider Vinegar he said to mix Turmeric with. It seems it’s quite the miracle ingredient when used on its own too.  

Lizzie, I don't know about cider vinegar with turmeric being effective or not but it apparently works for the pharmacist. I did a research on turmeric and quite a few results said that black pepper increases the effect of the curcum that on its own doesn't bring about the true benefits of it. But sometimes it's a matter of choice, how you feel or how you react to it. I say do what you think is good for you and maybe believe in it. I've been taking orally Aloe Arborescens for years and my body tells me when it's time to take it again. I have no regular programme for taking it, I just wait for the signals.

13 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Hi there-  Ians wife JILL here!  Please keep me posted on your progress, l suffer with arthritis in my knees and lymphedema in my legs, been on medication for my condition for so long that they dont work for me anymore. My daughter also keeps bugging me to try the Hemp and medical marijuana, my physician also asked if l would like to try the pill form with no side effects and no smell! 

But being from the old school ( thinking its a sin) trying any of these types of therapeutics l wont here of it!!!!

Recently they all became legal in Canada, so on two occasions l have got as far as the front door of the shop that sells it but l just can make myself get out of the car to make a purchase!  Maybe the third try going will be lucky for me and l will go in and give it a try! Lol

For Jill (Finn) Thanks for the interest, I'm not trying to promote anything so really it's up to you to try something which might help you in someway. My daughter has been telling me for a long long while to try what she calls medicinal cannibis. I was horrified when she mentioned it but she's explained that she had been researching it. She has various problems including being almost diabetic. She's had to eliminate certain foods because she swells up like a balloon, she also has a lot of pain in her hands which  in  her job as chef doesn't help her with intricate procedures. She apparently ( without mentioning it to me) bought some including some to smoke ( she doesn't smoke) . However she had had it for quite a long time before she decided to use it, always dubious as to the results. She felt fine , slept soundly and had no after effects or cravings to start taking it on a regular basis. She still has it all but doubt if she'll continue, but she kept telling me to buy this Hemp gel that I gave in and ordered some. First I read all the reviews, hesitated again then ordered. 

I had the injection in my hand on Monday last and had more severe pain afterwards right up until Friday. I used the gel twice in one day and thought in the evening that I had less pain when the following day I had almost none. I don't want to say that it was the gel or whether it was the injection kicking in. So as I said before I'm going to wait until I have the last injection which will be next Monday to see whether the injection is irritating the nerves in my hand and causing more pain.

You will have to decide for yourself if you want to try, I can understand how you feel about what has been considered a drug even though there has been a lot of pros to it. Research it in every possible way before you decide. I'd love to be able to say to say that's " yes it's works 100%" but only you can decide. I certainly will keep you informed of my progress even if it seems negative for you. 

By the way the gel comes in a 300g tub and the colour is a little bit like " golden eye ointment" not very inviting to use. It smells a bit like menthol. It also contains Rosemary, calendula and other seed oils.

Hope you decide on the correct action for you, All the best.

47 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Do you rattle? ;)

Only when I go to the disco. :rolleyes: 11 in the morning, 4 at lunch, 3 at teatime and 2 at bed time.

• Like 1