Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

16 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

His main interest appeared to be doing vasectomies

A lady with a thyroid problem and a doctor interested in vasectomies. I'm strugling to imagine quite how that conversation went...:Shock:

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

He told me, in a very patronising manner, that there was no connection between an under active thyroid and elevated cholesterol which meant I needed to take statins.

A letter from my endocrinologist said precisely the opposite.

Jumped up GP said endocrinologist didn't know what she was talking about.

I remarked that for a chap with the word 'general' in his job title, he didn't inspire me with any confidence.  That's how that conversation went!

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

He told me, in a very patronising manner, that there was no connection between an under active thyroid and elevated cholesterol which meant I needed to take statins.

Jill, he could usefully refer to the NHS choices website: "There is a well-established link between thyroid disease and cholesterol because thyroid hormones control the functionality of lipids and the production of fatty acids in the liver. This means hypothyroidism can result in high cholesterol and hyperthyroidism can result in low cholesterol.3 Oct 2019"

Are you sure he wasn't there to paint the surgery walls?

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I went to Specsavers this morning and was in there for ages.  Apparently the macular degeneration in my left eye is now 'wet' so I've been referred to Addenbrookes so they can inject into the retina to sort out the blood vessels which are starting to appear there.

i know Catfan has had this done .... anyone else?  

I've already had a cataract done in this eye about 20 years ago, so I'm not too worried but just wondered how effectivethe procedure is.

iknow it won't cure the condition - just prevent it getting worse..  

My mum had the same condition as this and she was registered blind by her  late 80s.  I wish treatments like this had been around then as she found life quite difficult even though she lived with us.

Oh, Margie!! You are brave.

My mum had cataracts removed from both eyes, then laser treatment to remove the secondary film that sometimes forms. Both eyes again. She also had glaucoma in one eye.

I have regular eye tests but at the age of 63 I don't need glasses.  If I ever develop those sorts of problems, I'll get a guide dog. I'm not brave enough!

The procedure doesn't hurt, Jill!  I was quite relaxed when I had my cataract done so I'm not really brave - just want an appointment ASAP

I went for my eye test a couple of weeks ago, the opthalmologist said my prescription hasn’t changed in the past two years but he saw a small haemorrhage behind my left eye which he said could indicate Diabetes or cause risk of stroke if I have a vascular issue that may have created it.  He sent a report to my GP and within days I was called for BP check and bloods taken. That was over a week ago, my BP was really good and I’ve not heard from the surgery at all so assume my bloods were ok.  Hope so!!

Lizzie, I hope your blood tests are all OK. - I expect you are right that the  GP would get back to you if they weren't.

The last two years, my prescription  hasn't changed either even though dry macular degeneration was present.  The optician just said there was no lenses he could prescribe that would improve my vision, which has lots of blind spots., also all straight lines and straight edges look wavy.  

Strangely I can still see the small letters on the opticia's chart but only when I keep moving my head to avoid the fuzzy blind spots..

Lizzie, I too hope all is well.  Do you not have access to test results online?  All of my routine bloods etc.. get put up on my personal record via 'Patient Access'.  I can see the individual components of the blood tests and the comments of whichever Doc has reviewed them.  They usually reduce it to 'Satisfactory Result', or 'Abnormal.. Action Required'..which I think has only happened to me once..when I was having all those presumed allergy issues a couple of years back.

Also some, but not all hospital tests, such as abdominal MRI,  appear there.  

At the moment I'm checking daily for  feed back on an Echocardiogram I had last Sat.

4 hours ago, MargieH said:

I went to Specsavers this morning and was in there for ages.  Apparently the macular degeneration in my left eye is now 'wet' so I've been referred to Addenbrookes so they can inject into the retina to sort out the blood vessels which are starting to appear there.

Not an appealing prospect from where I sit Margie.  I really hope it helps you.

• Like 1

I don’t think we have that on-line facility DJ but our surgery is really good at following up on tests etc.  I suppose I’ll be proactive and phone them on Monday, with fingers and toes firmly crossed.  

Nothing online for me yet re: my recent cardio tests.  But.. today I received a  copy of the letter the Cardiologist has sent to my Doc.  (Doc may well put this up on my record next week)

Anyway.. the letter seems to be saying that my heart has not deteriorated much recently. I have 'mild concentric left ventricular hypertrophy' which translates as thickening of the wall of the left ventricle. That along with 'moderately impaired left ventricular function.'  So.. At worst it looks like I've gone from 'mild to moderate' impairment, to 'moderate' impairment over a good few years.  I'll take that.

Still doesn't explain why my heart rate went crazy last Sept for a few hours. but whatever...

Keep taking the tablets...

Glad things are not getting worse Col but do you think lumping concrete slabs about is a good idea?

Two thirds of the job is done now Jim. Yesterday I brought four 2x2 flags back from my daughter's as a trial run. She's strong lass and helped me get them into the car.  I managed to wrangle them out at this end without ever having to bear the full weight.. then 'walked'' them around the back.  Just a case of taking it slow. 8 more 2x2 and 8 halves to get.   No rush.

Watchit Col.  Hernias are no fun.  Heed the voice  of hard earned hound experience. I'd hate for you to have that to go through. I don't recall any one thing that may have caused mine,but I was always humping stuff around until one evening I thought somebody had hit me where it hurts with a red hot poker.

Col, shoot me down if you want, but, to make the slabs easier to carry, could you not break up the slabs into bitesize pieces and then lay crazy paving. Just an optional thought mate.

• Like 2