Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

PP It was, and still is difficult sometimes .... but generally, life is very good and we have much to be thankful for.  He is like you I think, and just ‘gets on with it’

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Got my knee x-ray results back via the physio folks yesterday.  It seems I have 'severe arthritic damage'  Basically all cartilage and a lot of bone are gone..worn, or whatever. Physio said I was doing surprisingly well considering the state of my knee.  So.. next up, a referral to an Orthopaedic Surgeon to discuss options.  If it turns out a knee replacement is needed.. it will then presumably be a conversation between orthopaedics and cardiology... :mellow:

Glad your on the mend PP it make's you wonder though what else will be thrown our way?

I have now been dianosed with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, first GP thought it was rhematoid arthritis. Waited a year to see main man, Oh!! its not RA he said i am going to refure to some one else, app July 23rd but this CTS is quite common, but it is also very fustration I am dropping cup, dishers, plus you can't pick up money no feeling in your fingers. Worst thing is when i drop my wine glass, don't mind if it's empty but when there is some wine left it really is a waste of money. I bet you thought i was going to post somthing else.

On 4/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, MargieH said:

Paul was supposed to have stents put in his FEMORAL artery, but after trying to do It, they decided it was  too blocked for about 25 cm so had to give up.  His collateral arteries have taken over and provide enough blood flow to his lower leg and foot as long as he doesn’t walk too fast!

He had a double heart bypass about 12 years ago because the position of the blockage wasn’t suitable for a stent.  

Well said M you certainly know your stuff. Can i please have you as my nurse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a PSA test of 5.4 I went for a prostrate MRI, now I've got to go for a prostrate biopsy on Thursday, not looking forwards to it, but needs must as they say. Had a PSA test & finger up the bum prostrate exam 2 years ago & both were OK then. When the lady phoned she asked if I'd ever had a rectal exam? I told her about my fingers up the bum, colonoscopy & colon biopsy when I had ischemic colitis 5 years ago & she said "oh you're used to it then aren't you?" Taxi is booked for Thursday morning so no going back... 

• Like 1

COLLY, I had that biopsy a couple of years ago. They told me, you won't feel anything, however, you will hear a 'click' when the jaws take a sample, but the bad news is, you'll hear TEN clicks as we need to go all the way round and take a bite each time.

Got to say though, it's more embarrassing than uncomfortable. Glad I had somebody to drive me car back home.  :shout:

• Like 2

Beekay. Thanks for that info. When I had my colonoscopy & biopsy & could see the jaw thing on the TV screen taking a bite, couldn't feel anything though. Used to embarrassment as there was 3 very pretty student nurses watching... They advised me not to drive afterwards, that's why I've booked a taxi...

Why is it always pretty young staff when you have these sort of procedures. About two years ago I went for a Colonic MRI scan and the crew were young females who looked like they'd had an afternoon off school. They were lovely though, despite the pipe and gas pump up. Was able to drive home though. Mind you, it were a bit odd walking to the car park.

• Like 1

Colly, as a result of a similar experience to yours, I took the MRI scan and a biopsy last November. There was a digital rectal examination (DRE) with my biopsy as a matter of course. On a discomfort scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the least, 10 the most) I rated my biopsy procedure discomfort as a 2, very low. My procedure was an Ultrasound Trans Perinneal Biopsy of Prostate. There was only 5 samples taken. There were male and female medical staff carrying out the procedures. They were thoroughly professional and carry out these procedures every day. I felt quite at ease with the process itself. Hope that gives you some confidence with the process, going forward.

Having had 3 bladder cystoscopies/biopsy a couple of years ago, done by female staff, the gender point doesn't bother me.

All the best, mate.

• Like 1

The biopsy is not too bad colly had one 6years ago they took 12 samples when the scissors cut it makes loud bang it made me jump they said you have to lie still or it could tear my rectum.After i sat in a big arm chair had a ham sandwich and a coffee waited 30 minutes went to the bathroom for a pee and the nurse checked the toilet bowl for blood it was ok so went home. The doctor said there was a slight chance i had prostate cancer i could leave or have it removed i decided to have it removed it was a 4hr operation and an overnight stay. I was off work for 7 weeks never looked back it was done by keyhole surgery cant even see any scars. Take care good luck.

• Like 2

Thanks Willow Wilson & Ian Finn, I'm feeling a bit calmer now.... Off for a pneumonia jab this afternoon, needles don't bother me at all as I'm an ex blood donor, had to stop after 34 pints because of illness though.... 

I had an abnormal PSA reading a few weeks ago followed by another PSA test last week. Getting the phione call from the quack tomorrow. Fingers crossed all is OK this time.

• Like 1

Same from me Catfan......its all this bleddy waiting for results int it.............

• Like 1

Puts my little soiree to Derby Royal this afternoon in perspective... hope it's good news CF..

• Like 1

Good Luck CF

Just reading through all the post's and I have come to the conclusion  that we don't need our NHS. Well only some times,

notts nostagian's now are we the new NHS , most of us have ailments aches and pain's and it's nice to hear other members point's   of view. Plus if you have had same illness or similer you can disscuss it. 

You book an appointment with your GP.  Receptionist ask if you can give her an idea of your problem so she can take notes for GP.  You arrive at the surgery go in to see your GP. First thing he/she asked What can I help you with? why doe's the GP not read what the receptionist has written?

• Like 1
On 5/20/2021 at 3:25 PM, catfan said:

Four stents in coronary arteries plus another four in femoral arteries.

I would be worth more in scrap value.

Wow - hope you recover well mate. It would seem that you are the Captain of the Stent Club, with Benj the Vice Captain.

I'm lucky and back to normal. Did a hill walk on Sunday with no probs and rowing and cycling regularly, albeit a bit slower. Getting on with the landscaping project and enjoying it. Think I have learnt how not to put pressure on myself that leads to stress.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Think I have learnt how not to put pressure on myself that leads to stress.

Hmm at 80+ one is almost tempted to say " about bloody time"... but I won't.   ;)

• Like 2

I wish I had a stent.  Maybe if my original heart attack in 1996 had been  'imaged', rather than just assessed via ECG etc.. they would have seen the state of the offending artery and looked at 'stenting' it.  But they didn't and I now have damaged heart muscle and a totally blocked artery which, even if by-passed would improve nothing.. as the heart muscle it supplied is now dead.

I dunno.. maybe stents and routine angiograms weren't available in 1996..

Doc rang on the stroke of 9 am. Second blood test is no better but not to worry the Doc said.

Oh by the way I will be refferring you to the Urology dept to have a thorough check done.

Now the waiting begins !

• Like 1