Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Colly, my husband had Gleason score of 8 too, and like you the cancer hadn’t spread anywhere else.  He’d had no symptoms but our GP was all for doing the PSA tests every 2 or 3 years and that’s how the cancer was discovered, when his PSA count had gone up significantly between blood tests.  

• Like 1

Thanks Jill....Glad your Hubby is OK Lizzie.... I remember watching a documentary a few years ago about American health care: a man who couldn't afford health insurance had got prostate cancer & needed radiotherapy or surgery, but he couldn't afford the many thousands of $ to pay for it, all he had to treat it was hormone pills. So thankful for the NHS knowing I haven't got the worry about the cost of whatever treatment I have...  

• Upvote 1

but he couldn't afford the many thousands of $ to pay for it,

Were I a doctor I don't know if I could do that.

Someone who your knowledge, skills and experience could possible cure/save their life yet you turn them away because they can't meet a demand for money...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

And in between times, it's good to talk and share. I've just had a heart to heart with my younger brothers about the importance of testing.

My husband’s oncologist has suggested that our 2 sons get the PSA when they reach 50.  The eldest is 44 and recently felt a bit out of sorts and had a blood test and asked for a PSA at the same time but the GP said no.  

• Like 1

The only problem I had was the need to pee every couple of hours in the night. I never knew I was having a blood test for PSA until the Doc rang & said the book another blood test.

Went on Monday for MRI so now anxiously waiting what the outcome of that scan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All the best colly in your post monday you said that you were amazed how fast things were moving. Yes we have a lot to be thankfull  for  my daughter-in-law went for a smear test,the same week they sent for her, and did what is called a cone biopsy then the follow week they took her in and did a full hysteroscopy. The opp saved her life as she had a most aggresive form of cancer. At the time she was only 30 and she did not get the all clear till 5 years later. Touch wood she has been fine since.they have only got one boy he is now 22.  Good Old NHS the people who work for the NHS are worth there weight i gold. Never give up.

• Like 2

Whole heartedly agree with you Mary.

I don't regret paying one penny of my National Insurance.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Brew said:

but he couldn't afford the many thousands of $ to pay for it,

Doctors will treat you as a patient in need, they won't turn you away. You would then be billed and a payment plan worked out, often discounted.

• Like 2

You’ll just have to wait and see….

“Patience is a virtue;

possess it if you can;

found seldom In a woman

and never in a man!”

…. but i’m sure you’re an exception to this CF :)   I’ll be thinking of you x

• Like 1

Private patient visits, in theory I don't think its right but in practice, when necessary I do them mostly for peace of mind or I can't bear the pain any longer. My history is mostly based as an oncology patient ( for the last 12 yrs) my treatment, visits and scans etc are all paid for by the hospitals. Lately after my last checkup the oncologist recommended in addition to an ecograph I had a CT scan and colonscopia. The hospital couldnt give me an early appointment although a CT was booked for November. Both CT and colonscopia were done privately. I had to go to Alessandria as there were no appointments available earlier than November. I got the results later in the day by email and now await the dvd and all my docs from this last year that i had to take with me. (  we keep all medical papers, the dr doesnt although they have them on their computers) When I have everything back I have to send them all to the oncologist and get an appointment to explain all these medical terms I dont understand. Over the years I've learnt a lot of these terms or at least understood them but these are something new. I'm not worried but at least I will find out what is causing my persistant pain under my ribs.

• Like 1
On 6/17/2021 at 2:21 PM, catfan said:

Letter arrived today with phone call appt this coming Monday.

Is this a good sign I wonder ?

I had a phone call a week yesterday, then a letter when postman came asking me to go to see urology doctor last Monday for my test results, than saw a nurse who explained more on what treatment I was to have & gave me script for months supply of hormone tabs. I'd be surprised if they'd give you bad news over the phone. Hope your tests are negative Catfan... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So glad for you Catfan. Sounds like you'll be taking Finasteride, unless I'm mistaken. When my consultant told me he was discharging me back to my GP, he said I could stop taking the tablets. But I said thanks, but if it's OK with you, I'll keep taking them if it keeps me from a recurrence .

• Like 1

Glad to read you've got the all clear Catfan, good for you.... I'm getting some side effects from the hormone tabs I'm taking = I'm feeling really tired, I'll sit here watching the telly & fall asleep & miss the program, I've always done this but not as much as I'm doing it now. I presume when I've had radiotherapy or surgery I'll come off hormone tabs/injections & the side effects will subside I hope....