Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Amazing how things youv'e never heard of crop up.........ive now got ''Tenosynovitis''............to go with my ''Essential Tremor''..........thought it was ''Carpal Tunnel''..........but was diagnosed yesterday..........very painful wrist..fingers and Thumb...mostly ''Thumb,,,,,,,anyone else had/got it?

Get injection next week..........

Sorry Ben that youve got this ....whatever you call it. It sounds similar to what I had that seems to be starting again. I had cortisone injections into the base of my thumb. Once every weeks for 3 weeks. It eventually eased and Ive had no more problems until now so I try not to think about it too much. Hope it works for you and hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

Hi Ben  sorry to hear about your Tenosynovits, I have just had opp for Carpal tunnel. Opp no problem it's amazing what you can achevie with you left hand. when your right hands is out of action. When i went to see Doctor at QMC he told me that in right hand carpal Tunnel, but left hand he was not sure. I have now another appointment at QMC for electrical test on the left arm. So head down a>>> up we could have a date and meet at the QMC. 

ps Tell no one.

pps I think they will all be jealous.

pps Hope all goes well for you.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind words ref my latest problem....although its painful....i'm not to worried...they say its almost certainly well curable....although i'm a scaredy cat'' about injections.. like Jill.)(..i had so many now i'm almost brave....

Mary i'm left handed and my 'Essential Tremor' is in my left hand...cant write at all with it.......and i learnt to write with my right....but with this being in both hands i cant write at all now...all these things are 'Little niggles'' that i can live with 

However it won't stop us having a date......you can take me Bowling......and i'll take you down 'Locarno' if its still 1/6........:rolleyes:..

However

• Like 3

Hi Ben I would love to go with you to the bowling green, but this year master and I paid our green fees to council had one roll-up start of season   but due to health problems sorry can no longer bowl. Also have done Tal Chi for 10 years, loved it again due to PD have lost my balance. So had to give up. I think that I am now in stage 2 of PD which means that when I walk, it takes a while for my right leg to follow, Its like being on board ship in a 9 force gale or its just like being drunk!! I would be happy if i had, had too much booze"!!  but not a drop has passed my lips. 

"Locarno" has gone to the big dance hall in the sky.

SO!!! Ben it's looks as the only place left is the PUB? so will hopefully see you and all mebers at meetup. 

Would be nice to book some where and have Christmas Eats all together. The French restaurant Petit Paris kings walk has a small  private room, and you don't have to have French food you have a lage choice'

PS (PD) Parkinson's.

• Like 1

Mary, sorry you have had to give up your bowls and the Tai Chi.  It’s sad when we can no longer do the things we love…. I suppose all we can do is concentrate on the things we CAN still do?  
I know I miss not being able to use my bike anymore because my eyesight makes it hard to keep my balance.  (I am fine when I’m not on my bike lol). I also miss reading for extended periods of time but am still able to read a bit in daylight.  
I, too, would like a meet up to look forward to….. could a tentative date be arranged?    
BREW?  Are you still the chief organiser?  

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Woman on the news this morning complaining about not being able to have her yearly thyroid and cholesterol test due to a lack of blood test vials. Yippee! No test for me next month.

All this started me thinking about visits to the GP when I was a child. I was pretty healthy but suffered a serious dose of measles when I was just 5 and it left me prone to bronchitis every winter.

Invariably, approaching my birthday in November, I'd be trotted off to see the doctor.

Our practice was staffed by 2 Irishmen: Dr McGrath and Dr Richard Alphonsus Halley. There had been a senior partner by the name of Dr Patrick Kelly but I don't remember him. He it was who stitched my mother after my arrival at home at 5am on a foggy November morning. He was the doctor on call and turned up decked out in a dinner suit. He'd been to a 'do' and, since he fell up the stairs, it must have been a good one!

In those days, there was no appointment system, no receptionist and no nurse. Our practice occupied the ground floor of a 3 storey Victorian house near to The Grand pub on Alfreton Road. The two upper floors comprised a flat occupied by the family of one of my Berridge school chums.

Through the front door, turn left into the waiting room. Bentwood chairs ranged around the walls, ancient gas fire on full blast...carbon monoxide detector? What's that? Windows tightly closed. Curling magazines, 10 years out of date.

Miserable faces, coughing their hearts up. Take a good look round and note who comes in after you if you don't want to miss your turn.

French doors opening into a short corridor lead to the consulting room. Examination room (couch was a museum piece) off to the right.

When I finally did get in, with my mother, we saw a vague and misty form sitting at a huge roll top desk. Ancient gas fire on full blast....carbon monoxide detector? This room was less than a quarter of the size of the waiting room. Windows hermetically sealed. Atmosphere, 95% cigarette smoke.

Dr Halley was a jolly soul. "Hello, little lady. Can you cough for me?"  Hadn't he heard me barking in the waiting room for 20 minutes? By now, my little lungs were so full of smoke, I'd probably turned blue if he'd actually been able to see me through the fag fog!

Visit to Forest Dene, chest X Ray, two weeks off school! HURRAH! Thanks Dr Halley. See you next November. Rep mist, as they say.

Dr Halley also had a practice in sunny Bulwell where, I later discovered, he was the GP of a Manning friend of mine. She had also suffered measles very seriously as a 5 year old and, like me, endured bronchitis every winter. In Bulwell, Dr H made house calls in his shiny black car. Took his coffin nails with him, of course. Before seeing the patient, he always asked the same question: "Would you have a drop of something to keep out the cold?"

How did we survive? But here we are, alive and kicking.

Dr Halley didn't have much hair and seemed old to me as a child. I was shocked to discover he was relatively young when he died. Lung cancer, I believe.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Dr Halley didn't have much hair and seemed old to me as a child. I was shocked to discover he was relatively young when he died. Lung cancer, I believe.

I have one outstanding memory of our GP at Clifton. When we into his consultation room, he was sitting there at his desk smoking a cigarette. And he looked a bit like my dad (who also smoked).

Remember going to see Dr Lavalle or Dr Cox at the practice on Alfreton Rd and Hartley Rd as a child usual mumps, chicken pox and measles the waiting room was always smokey and grandfather ticking loudly seemed quiet and spookey i hated going there.

I think I’ve mentioned this before but it’s worth retelling. My wife’s grandparents owned Flints newsagents on Alfreton Road and her grandfather was best friends with Dr Lavelle who lived opposite. One Sunday Dr Lavelle asked to borrow the car which he did occasionally to go to some ‘do’. He was asked to be back at a certain time as Colin, their son, my wife’s dad was doing his national service and had to be back at Derby that night and used the car as it wasn’t otherwise used in the week. The good doctor eventually turned up to an anxious Colin waiting to leave for Derby as it was getting late.  To say Dr Lavelle was ‘worse for wear’ was an understatement. It was at this point Colin realised that the car although bore a passing resemblance to the one he’d borrowed was not the one he’d left in. It was quickly established where he’d been so Colin drove there and found a very angry man scratching his head outside looking for his car. The error was explained and although not very pleased took his car and the right car retrieved from where it had been parked hours before. 
Dr Lavelle was a lovely with a pleasant soft Irish accent.

• Like 1

I think I've mentioned this before, as well. That practice, I believe, belonged to two doctors both named Cox. They were man and wife.  At one point, many years ago, they lived at a house on Alfreton Road, just above The Alma Inn, where they also had their GP practice. Their housekeeper, who also lived there, was a Vera Smith who was a friend of my relatives, Emily and George Ward of Garden Street which is only a couple of minutes' walk away.

Vera remained with Mrs/Dr Cox after the death of male Dr Cox, the practice having been sold and a move to Mapperley Park had taken place. Vera was now more of a companion than a housekeeper, although I believe both women were intransigent, argumentative and seemed to spend much of their time at daggers drawn.  

My mum remained in touch with Vera after Dr Cox died and Vera moved to a flat in Lenton where she resided until her death.  The original practice was owned by a Dr Verma at one point and eventually became a dental practice.

I've been trying to recall the name of the house in Mapperley Park. I think it was The Point, or something similar.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

My wife’s grandparents owned Flints newsagents on Alfreton Road and her grandfather was best friends with Dr Lavelle who lived opposite. 

There was a family of Lavelle doctors on Clifton in the 60s and 70s. At various times father and son operated at the same surgery. Could they have been related or connected to the Radford branch ?

@Cliff Ton

The name Dr Lavalle/Levelle was often heard when I was growing up but I wasn't really aware of where his practice was.

Doctoring, as it were,  sometimes runs in families.  I've often been asked if I'm related to Dr Sparrow. Not as far as I know but I believe there were a number of them around the Bingham area. I've also heard it said that at least one was over fond of the drinkie poos.  That doesn't sound like my Sparrows ;)

Sadly, like vets, I believe the medical profession has its fair share of alcoholics. Given the stress of those professions, I'm not surprised.

Dr Lavelle I’m speaking of wasn’t a lush but had indulged a little too enthusiastically on the evening I spoke of. Even though he’s long gone I feel uncomfortable to give the impression he was a drunk. 

A couple of years ago, just before Christmas and also before they locked their doors, I nipped into the surgery to make an appointment for a blood test. Behind the girl at the back of the glass screen was a large desk and it was covered with bottle bags, labels attached, and boxed bottles of whisk(e)y of various kinds. While I was waiting for an appointment, I counted them. There were in excess of 40. I wonder who the recipients were?

I salted the information away. Thought it might be useful ammunition the next time their lard bucket nurse demands to know how many units of alcohol I drink.  Might also throw in that, when I sit down, I only require one chair! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Might also throw in that, when I sit down, I only require one chair! 

Miaowwww....   :rolleyes:

There was a Dr. Sparrow had a practice on Church St. Eastwood i went there for a medical for insurance purposes he had a daughter named Primrose that went to the same High School as me.

Can anyone remember Dr Stebbings i think i spelt it right he was in the same practice as Dr Lavalle on Alfreton rd.

Stebbings and Lavelle were indeed the same Alfreton Road practice and were my wife’s family’s doctors for years. Lavelle was the preferable one to see. Stebbings could be a bit sharp. I see it’s being spelt Lavelle and Lavalle. My wife who Is always right on all things says it’s with an e. Anyone care to take her on. I’m not.