Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

23 hours ago, Brew said:

It seems it's due to lack of HGV drivers.

Indeed.. another triumph for the wonderful concept and thorough implementation of Brexit.

Everything we said is coming true.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

23 hours ago, Brew said:

I'm tempted to renew mine especially now they're making £50k plus OT

Their salaries have clearly gone up, though I suspect £50 k may be top end.

Whatever happened to 'pricing yourself out of a job'?

I don't know any on that sort of money I was quoting from an article on the beeb that related how a driver had a £7 an hour  rise taking him to around £50k

The REED agency is advertising £55k in some areas at the moment.

Pricing? we live in a nice cosy capitalist society so supply and demand rulez!   ;)

46 minutes ago, Brew said:

Pricing? we live in a nice cosy capitalist society so supply and demand rulez!   

Well yes.. sort of.. and I just knew that was coming back at me. ;)

Yet oddly.. the Rees-Moggs and their ilk, of this World, who pay no taxes and contribute nothing but misery, as they cheerfully manipulate money and in consequence, other people's lives.. always seem to have a place..

I'd be interested to see what 'demand', exists for such oxygen thieves.

P.S. £50k is a pretty conservative income these days.  It will be commonplace in Construction trades for eg., where £200 per day is an absolute minimum charge for Plumbers, Heating 'Engineers' et.al.

In other professions, such as Law, Medicine etc..etc.. it is low.

But it is ingrained in the National psyche, that 'ordinary working class people'.. are just not 'supposed' to earn a decent wage... even if demand outstrips supply.

7 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

But it is ingrained in the National psyche, that 'ordinary working class people'.. are just not 'supposed' to earn a decent wage... even if demand outstrips supply

And quite right ... give the buggers more money and next thing you know they'll be wanting to vote and denying they are working class...then where will be?

Fair point....

Which reminds me... I need to get a new cap.  The one I have isn't fit for Doffing to my betters..

• Like 1
On 9/3/2021 at 8:35 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

You're blessed with more patience than I, Mary!  That's disgusting.

Well Jill just had to sit there and be quite, master had warned me to behave myself.

This is not the end of my story, 

After playing smashed faces with concret slab, A/E doc said that i would have to see the optometry doc and maxilla doc. 2 phone calls half hour apart, 1st app made Thur 2 30 /2nd phone call app made 2 30 ask is app for face and eyes? yes said man its on the same floor. When i arrived and left all they had done was my eyes. Saturday letter arrived "YOU HAVE MISSED YOUR APP" ??? what !!! appointment ?  Finally worked it out eyes Kings Mill 2 30 Thursday Face QMC 2 30 Thursday both same day    "Oh! what a tangled web we weve"?  Any way QMC have given me another app. and guess what I did not even have to ask.  Well it saves us mature people getting board.

I sympathise, Mary. I've played that game many times with the QMC in the days when my mum had appointments there with ophthalmologists. When we knew about them, that is!

We've sat for hours, watching the appointment time pass. When I started to become restive and indignant, she would remind me of the days when one just turned up at the old Eye Hospital on The Ropewalk and stood in a queue, waiting to be seen, often for hours. I recently found an old eye casualty card for Friday 24 June 1949, the day before her wedding, when she did just that!

For some years, she saw Mr Hamish Fraser privately but he was then too old to operate on her cataracts and they were dealt with by the excellent Mr Foss at QMC. I don't miss traipsing over there for follow up appointments.

• Like 1

I agree with you in principle, Phil.  The problem then becomes private insurance companies which get between doctor and patient arguing what they will or will not pay for.  Then there are co pays, deductables etc.  Just what you need when you are ill.  I speak from personal experience here in the good ole' USA.  I guess the root problem then becomes, greed, plus incompetence.

• Upvote 1

The health service is to all practical intents and purposes operating on a pseudo private scheme at local level.

GP's are small businesses contracted to the NHS to provide health services to a geographic or population area, they do not work for the NHS.

Any surplus at the end of the year is shared between the partners so there is some pressure for not spending on patient care if they can get away with it.

GP funding and contracts explained | The King's Fund (kingsfund.org.uk)

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Any surplus at the end of the year is shared between the partners so there is some pressure for not spending on patient care if they can get away with it.

As far as I can see, the only expense many GPs are incurring these days is that their phone bill may have increased. Most of them no longer see patients in person, but ring them during the day.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The NHS should be privatised and run like an efficient business.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Social Care is no better. If some of their employees actually did some work and put their smartphones away for a few hours, those who need help might benefit greatly. No matter how important your social life is or how hugely popular you may think you are, you're being paid to spend your time helping the less fortunate/those who need help.  Nipping out every ten minutes for a fag break and having a chat on your mobile is, in reality, stealing your employer's time.

I honestly think smartphones are a curse in the workplace.

A curse in life generally Jill. Too many people let them dominate their lives, if they ring or make whatever stupid noise they have been set to they must be answered immediatley. Fine if you are not at the front of the queue but if you are ignore it until you are served. Comments from behind can be offensive but accurate.

• Like 1

There is something about a ringing phone that is irresistible, even pre mobiles people would halt you in your tracks with " excuse me while i get this"...

15 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Nipping out every ten minutes for a fag break

That was something which really used to p* me off wherever I was working.

If you suggested the person took a 15% wage cut, it didn't go down very well.

No, the fag brigade seem to think they're entitled to a special dispensation. A colleague logged the periods of time they spent outside polluting the atmosphere over one week and calculated the total over a year. It was astounding. We asked management for the equivalent period to be added to the annual holiday entitlement of non smoking members of staff. Needless to say, that idea fell on deaf ears!