Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Way back in the mid 70s, when I worked in the warehouse at SPD Ltd., the management introduced 10 minute fag breaks for smokers. Which didn't go well with non smokers. Some blokes would be in the cloakroom half the day, (or so it seemed). All that 46 years ago, they had concessions. Us non smokers got bugger all.

• Like 1

Someone who went round the factory told me they stuck a whole boned and gutted pig into the mincer and it all went into the pies. We had a home made pork pie making competition at our local many years ago. Just to be mischievous I put a Pork Farms pie in and won second prize. I had to confess! :biggrin:

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Way back in the mid 70s, when I worked in the warehouse at SPD Ltd., the management introduced 10 minute fag breaks for smokers. Which didn't go well with non smokers. Some blokes would be in the cloakroom half the day, (or so it seemed). All that 46 years ago, they had concessions. Us non smokers got bugger all.

My wife Sue worked for a well known bookies & was the only one there who didn't smoke: everyone would go in the back for a fag break, even the gaffer. When Sue went went in the back for a coffee break in lieu of a fag break the gaffer said she wasn't entitled as she didn't smoke. There was a row & gaffer had to back down, but she wasn't happy about it...

I moan a lot about people moaning about people moaning.

It's a bit odd really because I'm generally known for not moaning....

On 9/7/2021 at 8:12 PM, colly0410 said:

well known bookies

Unless you are talking quite recently, about 16 years ago a bookies without fag smoke was unheard of!

However, I do recall a small non smoking Ladbrokes on Pelham St about early 90's. 

Where there anymore?

• Like 1

'Talk to the Organ Grinder.....'

After two days of trying on and off.. yesterday I got through to Wrightington Hospital.. where I'm on the list for knee surgery. 

I asked if I could get 'interim' treatment for my Left Knee. Reason being that while my Right knee was reason for initial referral and is definitely 'shot' my, Left Knee has become even more painful... keeping me awake all night etc.  However the left knee pain seems to be coming from some sort of soft tissue injury, or a bursitis.. which, unlike bone, might respond to something like a cortisone injection.  What I got was a very curt reply to the effect that I needed another referral from my own Doc..which makes no sense to me, and was then promptly disconnected.

So, today I dug around and got the email address of the Secretary of the Professor whose team is doing my surgery.  I had promised to email them my Cardiology report... so I 'tacked' my question about treatment onto the end of that.  Within less than half an hour, the Secretary had put my question to the Surgeon, who agreed to the injection so long as three months before, or after, surgery...because Steroids can limit immunity to infection. She went on to  promise a clinic appointment for me as soon as possible, to get the jab done.

Result.

• Like 2

Saturday evening my youngest brother was taken ill and was carted off to the QM A&E by ambulance. Arrived at 9 and waited to be seen, it's policy now that the ambulance medic has to stay with patients until officially handed into the care of the hospital - it took over an hour. Then sat there until 9:30 Sunday morning, just over 12 hours to be seen. After various tests, CT scans etc. he was told they suspect a bleed on the brain and needed to go to the neurological dept; however the hospital cannot arrange it, only his GP can request an appointment because their system is not compatible and they can't access his medical records. A consultant also wants an eye pressure test but the ones done in an opticians is, quote, "neither use nor ornament"!

He is not a happy bunny...

If he only waited an hour to be handed over from paramedics to A&E staff, he did well!

As for the access to computer records, it's a farce.  The Patients Know Best debacle, likewise.

I hope he's soon feeling better and sorted out.

20 minutes ago, Brew said:

needed to go to the neurological dept; however the hospital cannot arrange it, only his GP can request an appointment because their system is not compatible

The NHS have (at least) two different systems which can't talk to each other ?!  Why does that not surprise me.

I checked a box on SystmOnline  which was supposed to allow any medical professional anywhere to access my records.  I never realised that this system isn’t countrywide.

@Brew Hope your brother will soon get any treatment he needs x

10 hours ago, Brew said:

and needed to go to the neurological dept; however the hospital cannot arrange it, only his GP can request an appointment because their system is not compatible and they can't access his medical records.

I find that utterly incomprehensible.  GP records will contribute bugger all to that process, because it is a new issue.  He needs to be referred by the Hospital.  I hope he gets well soon.

I was referred by physio to St Helens Hospital for my knees, but without me being consulted.  The Surgeon at St Helens was happy to refer me to Wrightington.  When I asked for my left knee to also be taken into consideration. like a crim getting all of his naughties out the way at once..my GP happily referred me for x-ray to St Helens because that is closest.  She then informed me that Wrightington would have no problem viewing my x-ray, via a different system to St Helens.

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I find that utterly incomprehensible

Seems to be  the way of things, it was the same with my hand. Ripley hospital diagnosed it and prescribed cauterizing but could'nt do it. Told to make appointment with GP who also couldn't do it, they had to make me an appointment at Derby.

Been to my doctors for my 2'nd decapetyl (triptorelin 11.25 Mgs) 3 monthly depot injection for my prostate cancer, bums a bit numb/achy now, feel like a pin cushion. Also did my flu jab at same time. Seeing oncologist on 29'th this month to see about radiotherapy... 

• 2 weeks later...

It is alarming how my knees continue to deteriorate. I am now rarely without pain of some sort, even at rest or in bed,  and there is no point in my going shopping for example because I just can't do the walking.

Working on the basis that I'm waiting at least six months for the first of two knee replacements, I could be like this for between one and two years, even if all goes well.  This has got me wondering whether there is such a thing as a 'Temporary Blue Badge', which would at least allow me to park closer to facilities/destinations when necessary.

Anybody know?