Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Well I'm now half way through my prostate cancer radiotherapy treatment (10 RT sessions out of 20) & all seems to be going well, however I'm getting fairly tired & going to bed at 9-30'ish most nights, I was told about the tiredness side effect so not a surprise to me. The staff at the radiotherapy centre at the City Hospital are brilliant, they're so friendly, & of course have a good yabber with other patients. I struggled to drink 3 glasses of water 15 mins before I went in as it was so cold out of their water machine, so now I take a litre bottle of tap water that's been left out overnight in the kitchen so room temp & no problems now.... Thanks for all your messages of goodwill, really appreciate it...  

• Like 7

Progress!

I went to an appointment at Wrightington Hospital a couple of weeks ago, fully expecting to get a Cortisone jab in my left knee, to limit pain while I wait for both knees to be replaced. In the event, I was greeted by the surgeon I saw last time, who is in Professor xxxx's team. He basically told me that any steroids could prevent me from having surgery, or being able to opt for a cancellation.. so I slightly reluctantly accepted his advice.

So this evening I got a call asking me if I would be interested in being added to the 'list' of a new surgeon they have appointed, in order to reduce their waiting lists. I responded that I assumed that anyone they appointed ought to be competent! The lady responded that he has already done many ops. So I agreed. Lady also offered me a 'pre-op' appointment on Dec 3rd, after which...all being well, I could get the call any time.. from the new guy's list..or a cancellation from the original surgeon's list. Otherwise I could be waiting until the Spring...which sort of signals that I could get the first op done anytime in the next month or so. I also imagine some patients would avoid the Christmas period. I won't. I just want both knees done ASAP. I'm presently unable to be active for more than about an hour max, or walk for maybe 15 minutes before the pain..which is ever present, becomes just too much.

Bring it on.

• Like 1

Well today I had my last radiotherapy session at Nottingham Radiotherapy Centre, they said "it should make the cancer go into deep remission." I've never heard the phrase "deep Remission" before, presume it means mega remission or sumat like that. Had a few side effects, mainly fatigue, but nothing I couldn't cope with. The staff at the RT centre were brilliant, I can't praise them enough. Thanks for the kind comments...  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, colly0410 said:

Well today I had my last radiotherapy session at Nottingham Radiotherapy Centre, they said "it should make the cancer go into deep remission." 

When it all started, I predicted you'd be back here before long, like nothing ever happened.............

• Like 1

Thanks Brew, Margie H, Jill, Beekay, Cliff ton, Carni & Catfan.... Seemed strange not going to RT centre today, miss yabbering to the staff & other patients. Off out to a line dance social at Mapperley plains social club tomorrow night, told radiologist I was going & she told me not to go mad & limit the amount of dances I do, I'll do the slow ones, lol...  

• Like 4

Hi colly wish you all the best don't use to much of your energy  up but enjoy. Used to go u to Mapperley social club Saturday nights accurately I lernt the square tango there. Forgot how to do it now though. Love line dancing, I see it says you live in Hucknall I,m sure they also do line dancing at the leisure cetre there?

• Like 1

Colly glad you've finished RT so now you can relax. Keep up your followup appointments and you'll be ok. I still do mine after 11 1/2 years when I first discovered cancer. Many thoughts and worries but the best phrase came from my surgeon who said quite firmly " you are NOT going to die". Ive had many anxious moments mostly around Christmas time when new tumours were discovered but I'm still here but thanks to early discovery through followup they were blasted from here to eternity. I recently had my blood test and because I had cancelled a CT scan in between because I had one privately. I had to wait almost a month before i saw the oncologist. Ive been having a CT scan and Ecograph every year but for a long time now I have a pain under my ribs so tests etc have increased. Ive had everything redone but nothing has been found so as a last resort my onc has arranged another P.E.T. scan and said if this doesnt reveal anything nothing will. Its a last resort. I feel well so Im not worried that it could be anything serious I just want to know what it is and deal with it.

In oncology I found all the staff to be caring and helpful. ( here in Italy this hospital is considered one of the top ones for oncology so I consider myself very lucky)

I wish you all the best from now on out and as everyone is saying don't overdo it.

• Like 4

Thanks for asking Jim.  I've put a post up in the Christmas lights thread, about something I heard on the radio on the way back.. but that's not important here.

Got weighed, measured, swabbed, and robbed of a fair bit of blood.  Adivised to stop certain meds before the op, as well as alcohol.  I can do that.  I don't have to like it.

Problem though..  I currently have a bit of gum irritation/infection around a tooth. I was told years ago that this tooth was beyond redemption and would eventually have to go.  So everything is now on hold until that is resolved.  Fortunately I was able to get my dentist appt. moved forward from 23rd Dec to 7th..so the delay will hopefully be minimal.

It also seems that the op makes you more vulnerable to infection with Covid.  It seems the immune system gets all wound up about the assault on the knee and 'takes its eye off the Covid ball'.  I've just been reading about 'booster boosters', or fourth jabs before elective surgery, so I'll enquire about that.

But otherwise.. things are progressing quite well.  I have a phone consult with the surgeon on the 16th. 

• Upvote 1
On 12/4/2021 at 6:53 PM, DJ360 said:

It also seems that the op makes you more vulnerable to infection with Covid.  It seems the immune system gets all wound up about the assault on the knee and 'takes its eye off the Covid ball'.  I've just been reading about 'booster boosters', or fourth jabs before elective surgery, so I'll enquire about that.

But otherwise.. things are progressing quite well.  I have a phone consult with the surgeon on the 16th. 

You’re over-thinking and getting yourself more worried than necessary Col.  
Stay calm, you’ll be in and out of hospital with a new knee in no time. 

• Like 1