Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

3 hours ago, loppylugs said:

When she saw them Mrs. L said,  I bought you a pair  just like that for Christmas.   Oh oh!  It would be cold in the doghouse today.

Hounds have 4 legs. You've got 2 pairs of slippers. What's the problem?

• Like 2

I always figured, from November onwards, don't buy yourself anything till Santa's been. Someone else most likely, after wracking their brain for ideas, thought it was a good idea to buy you exactly what you just bought yourself! 

• Like 2

The problem is not temperature related, Jill.  my right hand has just become weak.  Thus instead of staying up out of the way a finger just droops onto a key when not needed,  Doesn't sound nice.  Mr. Bach would have a fit.  Doc said I should regain normal use and to practice as much as I can.  I sure hope he's right or I'll have to takeup the Harmonica.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

'Morning all.  well I didn't go to church I'd like to butthis a.m. woke up with anew complication from the bp meds.  Blood pressure was lower, heart rate very low and now I have a bood shot eye.  A listed side effect of this particular med.  Texted the doc, hope he returns it.  if the stroke don't kill me they'll finish me off with their pills.

There are often initial side effects, Loppy. When my father had not long started BP meds, I was standing in the garden with him looking at the apple trees. The next moment, he was lying on the ground! Looking up into the branches made him dizzy and he lost his balance. Wasn't hurt and it wore off. Don't worry.

• Like 1

Thanks, Phil.

Re earlier post.  The doc thinks the eye problem is

more likely tied to the Loppydogrel pills I started the week on as they were blood thinners.  As Margie said recently, most strokes are blockages so the first line of attack is blood thinners.  When a bleed happens you don't want thinners.

I don't know about in the UK but here they give you several sheets of paper listing all the scary side effects of each med.  The doc said he almost wishes they didn't do that because it scares folks off.  He thinks they are mostly written by lawyers to protect the drug companies from lawsuits.  The argument being, well we did warn you.

Thus my aversion to medications, but what do you do?  I like my doctor and I know he means well.

Edited to add... I should probably have done what Mrs. L was after me about.  Go right to the hospital.   I just didn't think it was that serious.  It didn't have classic stroke symptoms.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I was put on a high dose clopidogrel following heart surgery some twenty years ago. I had a very scary time just afterwards when I cleaned my teeth (I had my own teeth then) and I thought I was having a fatal haemorrhage merely due to the toothbrush abrading my gums. That was the end of my taking that medication! I take a low dose aspirin now.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

I agree Loppy also here we get all the blurb about what the medication can do and what not to drink with it. It can be quite worrying ...in fact very worrying. I tend to start taking a new medication and if I think I have adverse effects I consult the leaflet. Then I stop. The leaflets are quite explicit and so long. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, loppylugs said:

'Morning all.  well I didn't go to church I'd like to butthis a.m. woke up with anew complication from the bp meds.  Blood pressure was lower, heart rate very low and now I have a bood shot eye.  A listed side effect of this particular med.  Texted the doc, hope he returns it.  if the stroke don't kill me they'll finish me off with their pills.

Loppy, Alan always used to say you go to the doctor with one thing and come out with another four !!!!!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

After feeling a bit “off” on Christmas Eve I got up Christmas Day with a really heavy cold, runny nose, sore throat, headache and generally achy. Stayed in and kept away from people, curled up on settee watching stuff on telly feeling sorry for myself. Feel a bit better this morning, sore throat more or less gone, headache not as bad but my nose could rival Rudolph’s. Had a walk to shops this morning to get some fresh air and get lottery for Friday (£107 million, could manage on that) and get more hankies. Made me feel a bit better. Curled up on settee with jar of Vaseline on nose with a blackcurrant Lemsip (they are expensive) don’t know that it really does anything but find it strangely comforting. Hopefully will be better tomorrow so I can distribute presents I still have. Not quite what I had planned for Christmas but such is life!

• Upvote 1

Some advice regarding cold 'cures'. Carefully read the Patient Information Leaflet with these products. Some contain nasal decongestants which can have unpleasant effects on blood pressure with susceptible people - which I know some of us are.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

......Curled up on settee with jar of Vaseline on nose with a blackcurrant Lemsip (they are expensive) don’t know that it really does anything but find it strangely comforting. Hopefully will be better tomorrow so I can distribute presents I still have. Not quite what I had planned for Christmas but such is life!

Just slice up a lemon put it in a jug and pour hot water on, then squish it a bit.  Add Ribera or honey to taste.... lovely!  Not sure it does much good either but it tastes lovely.   

Hope you'll soon feel better, anyway, and your sore nose doesn't get any worse x

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Just slice up a lemon put it in a jug and pour hot water on, then squish it a bit.  Add Ribera or honey to taste.... lovely!  Not sure it does much good either but it tastes lovely.   

Will try that sounds good. My Gran used to have all sorts of home remedies for colds, sore throats, coughs etc. She had a lot written down but unfortunately they were mislaid after she passed away. I can remember lemon and honey for sore throats and goose grease and red flannel for bad chests I think. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from hospital appointment to see endo about my thyroid problem. Had to have another blood test as I am in the borderline catagory. Results will be sent to me and my doctor with recommendations on either medication or just monitoring. Consultant was brilliant, answered all my questions and explained everything. Apparently I have a nodule which could be causing the problem (naughty thing) so am having an ultrasound when I get the appointment. But worrying that, but he told me not too as it very often happens. Medication will be slowly reduced so I could end up not having to take any eventually (fingers crossed). Don’t have to go back to see him for 6 months, next few appointments will be done over phone after blood tests at doctors which is good, I have had enough of hospitals over the last 18 months. So all in all not as bad as I thought, worst part was finding the place wandering around like a lost soul no signposts for it at all.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to the dentists last week supposedly for a crown, but the 'temporary' filling he put in before Christmas is holding up really well so instead got him to leave the crown for a bit and look at where I was getting a little pain elsewhere.  He couldn't match the site of the pain to a specific tooth so decided to just see how things went.

They 'went' yesterday.. when that little niggle turned rapidly into agony and by this morning I've got a swollen cheek, a lump on my upper jaw and mind blowing pain hardly touched by paracetamol.  Several brandies and 5mg of Diazepam scored me about 2 hours sleep last night.  Been up since 6:00 am which is very early for me these days..  Abscess time I think.. :(

Mercifully he can see me at 10:55 today and I'm mostly typing this to try to take my mind off the pain and pass a bit of time. The next two hours are going to be very long.. :blink: