Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

7 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I had two sets of wisdom teeth which, I was told, is very unusual. My mother didn't have any, so I must have had hers in addition to my own. They caused problems because my mouth, contrary to popular belief, wasn't large enough to accommodate them all! 

I'm the same as your mum, Jill.  I never grew any wisdom teeth.  Does that make me unwise?  One of my dentists said it was because I was ahead in evolution.  Because of better dental hygiene these days, people aren't losing as many teeth as in past times, so don't need the extra 'wisdom' teeth to replace teeth that have been lost through decay etc.  Even baby teeth aren't falling out early enough in some children, who end up having  their big teeth coming up behind them.in the wrong place.

So there you go... I reckon I'm highly evolved, not thick!!  But I'm biased...

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

I was wondering recently, do they still make Beecham's Powders?  My father always had a box of those when he caught a cold. I was fascinated by them. Only tried one once. Tipped the powder into my mouth, like he did, and almost choked! Awful taste.

I suppose it was powdered aspirin. It was the neatly folded paper that fascinated me! 

In our pantry was Indian Brandee. Tasted really peculiar! Raspberry leaf tea. Absolutely vile! Both recommended for the relief of period pains. Didn't work, I can tell you!  

18 hours ago, MargieH said:

I'm the same as your mum, Jill.  I never grew any wisdom teeth.  Does that make me unwise?  One of my dentists said it was because I was ahead in evolution.  Because of better dental hygiene these days, people aren't losing as many teeth as in past times, so don't need the extra 'wisdom' teeth to replace teeth that have been lost through decay etc.  Even baby teeth aren't falling out early enough in some children, who end up having  their big teeth coming up behind them.in the wrong place.

So there you go... I reckon I'm highly evolved, not thick!!  But I'm biased...

I must be seriously under evolved.  I had two massive 'wisdom teeth' under the back molars on both sides of my lower jaw.  Only one of them made any attempt at erupting and even that failed, making trouble for years.  The other three were finally diagnosed as being the cause of constant vague jaw pain.  I finally had all four removed in hospital. They removed them by chiselling out the side of my lower jaw and taking them out from under the existing teeth.  While they were at it they removed two other teeth from my upper jaw, one of which was the cause of much pain and had roots bent outwards at 90 degrees like when you turn the anvil round on an office stapler...

I had about 50 stitches in my gob and looked like a deranged hamster for a couple of weeks after surgery, but it was worth it in the end.

• Upvote 1
On 2/5/2019 at 8:22 AM, carni said:

I didn't know about teeth removal pre heart  surgery, though I had learnt that the state of the teeth  can affect the heart. I have just googled and found this information on the NHS site. 

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/health-risks-of-gum-disease/ Very informative.

For some reason I have been slowly losing my teggies over the last few years? I have been going to the same dental practice since 1971ish. Apart from a two year gap in the 80s, through close bereavement, I attended every six months, had them cleaned and polished twice yearly and any treatment my dentist decided I needed.

After the two year break, my dentist would only keep me on as a private patient. I stayed with the practice because I am a chicken and darn't move on. Lots and lots of pounds paid over the years, but still losing them slowly? The dentist retired about four years ago, on recommendation it was arranged for me to go to BDH, Dentist says best because I have problems healing , due to Warfarin? and since then I travel to Birmingham Dental hospital at the moment every two weeks. Still after everything I do.... I am losing them. It doesn't seem to matter that I have done my best, they are waving bye bye slowly.

I sympathise Carni.  To use the correct medical terminology, my teeth have always been crap.  I've always brushed and flossed regularly.  I visit the dentist regularly too, yet my teeth just continue to crumble.  Thing is I dread the thought of any type of denture and will endure anything or any cost (within reason) to keep them for as long as possible.  If I had a spare £20k or so, I'd get a nice new gob full of implants and veneers, but that's unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

My first lot of wisdom teeth were removed in June 1974. I was still at school and due to participate in the Speech & Drama Competition which preceded the end of term. This was an event I had won for my house virtually every year I'd been at Manning.  After Acton extracted the wisdom teeth, under the guidance of an anaesthetist who had to be present due to the procedure needing more gas than a dentist was permitted to give, I was unable to speak properly for several weeks.  This being the case, I didnt participate in the competition and my house lost the trophy! I'd never been permitted to collect it at Speech Day anyway, even though my efforts secured it. The house captain had that honour. My attitude, therefore, was s*d you! Let it go elsewhere, which it did.

I wasn't popular over that but had more pressing problems to worry about!

Mid 80s, a different dentist looked inside my mouth and said, "These wisdom teeth will have to come out!"  :blink:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

If I had a spare £20k or so, I'd get a nice new gob full of implants and veneers, but that's unlikely to happen.

Me too.       Only worry after cost is that I have heart problems so probably wouldn't be able to have them anyway. Not sure what happens if you have implants and need an MRI at anytime afterwards? 

• Like 1

Had fitting for me new ''Gnashers'' the other day.........looked ok,, was worried i'd look all Teeth,, did ask for small ones cos my teeth have never really showed........anyway pick up the finished job Monday..........hope to flash em about at the meet-up.......lol.

Went to Maggies today at City Hospital.....met some nice folk....but not sure its for me.....going again hope to take to it,, wouldn't mind eventually doing some charity work for Cancer sufferers.......think i could help some..............and it would keep me occupied..........

• Like 7
On 2/5/2019 at 6:10 PM, MargieH said:

Because of better dental hygiene these days, people aren't losing as many teeth as in past times

I'm not sure that's fact, my dentist tell me most under 30s teeth she deals with are shocking? To much surgery drinks? 

Me I'm still teething, where's me teething ring?

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Had fitting for me new ''Gnashers'' the other day..

So now you can whistle and brush your teeth at the same time!!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Who's Maggie?  Does Donna know?

Funny you should mention a ''Maggie'' Jill............there was a Maggie back in 1960,,,,lovely girl,, lived on Gainsford crescent next door to Barbara,(who i last saw in the half Moon Hucknall she was a Barmaid about 1975,,had a short teenage fling with Maggie,, she had packed David(very Athletic was David but Maggie was not impressed) up for me,, then packed me up for John,who she married ,,nice chap was John,, last time i saw them i was meeting my first wife Sue to arrange a final payment of maintanence(sp) Maggie and John ran the Wilsthorpe Tavern in Long Eaton,,this would be about 1969,,,,don't mind if Maggie,,John,,Barbara,,Sue or even Donna and David read this.....all nice people,, happy days........:rolleyes:

• Like 1

When I can't sleep at night, I play mental alphabet games. For instance, I have to find 5 authors, composers or artists whose surnames begin with each letter of the alphabet.  Just thinking that, when Ben can't sleep at night, he could find 5 females he's dated for each letter of the alphabet...on every road in Nottingham...and further afield! Knocks Moggiedon into a cocked hat! :wacko:. Zzzzzzzz

• Like 1

Ann, Annie, Amy, Alison and Andrea .....nah...he could find at least 20 for each letter...Alyssa, Abigail, Annabelle, Annette, Anthea, Althea, Audrey, Agnes, Ashley, Agneta, Adelaide, Anita, Aileen, Alicia and Athene?  That's only the first 20 minutes at Marsden's on a Monday morning!

Still awake? :Shock:

• Like 1

Hmm, good point... new teeth, partially bionic, now wears a cravat and a new liberty bodice...………………………………...

• Like 1