FLY2

Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

#242 catfan........................thats the worse thing,..........waiting for results,........another few days of whittling,......seems as you get older,they want you to have tests for everything,then wait and worry,........i suppose it makes sense............

• Upvote 2

I recently had my annual MOT, and god willing no nasty surprises or call backs as yet fingers crossed. Had some nasty skin cancers on my hands frozen off and on a course of fluorocil cream for some others but that's getting old in the sun.

Did a quick 10 day trip down the coast to have my appointments and stayed with my eldest daughter, bad decision as her 3 kids had the dreaded lurgy and now I've gone down with the worst head and chest cold I've had for must be 3 years ! bugger.

Kept my good lady awake last few nights with my sniffling and coughing so I'm in the dog house currently, Oh well it's only "man flu" or so she says.

• Upvote 1

I don't go for MOTs. Some would say I'm crazy, but I've come this far. Something will get me one of these days.

Please don't mistake my intent here. I'm not criticizing those who have them, and where there is a known condition its a good idea to keep an eye on it.

If I come down with a terminal condition I wouldn't mind a bit of notice so I can transport myself back to Canada to get my affairs in order and be buried next to my late wife.

On that cheerful and happy note I will go and work in the heat. :-)

• Upvote 2

You don't need M.O.T's loppy, it's being so cheerful that keeps you going, LOL.

• Upvote 4

I can't afford MOTs in the land of the brave and the free, Katie. Lol.

• Upvote 2

The beauty of our wonderful NHS loppy is that it's all free !

I dread to think what my medication costs each month, never mind the hospital stuff !

• Upvote 2

I'm on Medicare loppy, not totally free, but way cheaper than before I turned 65. So far all MOT's have been covered at no extra charge.

• Upvote 1

To be fair to'em. I do have medicare and a medicare supplement insurance. I pity those who don't.

• Upvote 1

We did it again Katie. Posted at same moment. Yes there is a "free" MOT once a year.

You have to watch that too. Mrs Loppy went for one and asked about a minor rash on her leg. She figured it could all be dealt with under the freebie. A week later she got a bill for a $30 co-pay. They had billed it as an office visit because of the question about the rash.

They went even lower in my estimation.

The quack probably wants to know where to get the best deals on HG, Catfan! Don't tell him. There'll be less for you!

• Upvote 3

#250 catfan, I'm with you on that one miduck, I would probably be pushing up daisies if it wasn't for our NHS.

I don't know what to think about the new ruling about if you haven't visited your Docs for five yrs, you get wiped of the books. I don't fully understand it? I alone have five different meds, three I definitely couldn't live without and the other two, part preventative for side effects etc. Plus Hospital Assistance.

I always worry about being a drain on the NHS with my health problems,but under the new ruling people in my situation," needing the Doc quite often" are not the ones losing out. It seems to be the people who don't get ill often that might have a problem. I have heard something about Docs claiming for "Ghost Patients" I'm not sure how that works either. I dare say it will all become clear in the end???

• Upvote 1

I haven't been near the quack for around 20 years! Last time, they chased me down the corridor wanting a blood sample! They didn't catch me, didn't get one and I haven't been back since!

• Upvote 2

I remember when I went into the QMC a year & a half ago for Bilateral Femoral Angioplasty (that's after a few HGs too) would have cost 10k. That's only one occasion, never mind the rest.

Frightening.

• Upvote 1

Way to go! Jill. Don't let 'em get you.

Carni. They cut you off after five years of no use? I'd be in trouble then. I suppose you just have to go in with a sniffle once in a while to keep 'em happy then eh?

You are not a "drain" on the system if you need it. The NHS is not really free, you and your husband paid for it all of your working life.

• Upvote 3

In ancient China, were not the doctors only paid when their patients were well and not when they fell ill? I believe this was a reflection on the doctor's ability to keep illness and sickness at bay.

Such a system would never catch on nowadays. The drug companies wouldn't like it for a start!

• Upvote 1

The system seems to be all about money when you come right down to it.

Sell us GMO food loaded with additives, put fluoride in our water. Poke, prod and use invasive radioactive technology to have a look inside us. Then when we get sick cut, burn and poison us till we croak while charging us exhorbitant sums of money for the doubtful privilege.

The undertaker gets the balance. No thanks!

• Upvote 1

Years ago I phoned to make an appointment with our GP. I had not needed to see him for years before that. When I named the GP I wanted to see I was told he was retired! No problem, they booked me in with another doctor. I went to where the surgery had always been. It was no longer there! Instead there was a chemist shop with a very helpful assistant who explained where the new surgery was. The new building was first class, the doctor was excellent.and the news was good: I was expecting our son. After he was born we were advised to register at a surgery nearer where we lived, which we did. It is important to register so a GP has full information. When my mum moved from Nottingham her GP here checked with the one in Nottingham before he prescribed certain medication. She was well cared for.

When we moved here we tried to get all our medical records sent from England to Italy. They couldnt be sent according to the nhs as the records had been sent to a central deposit and were locked. Good thing over the previous years we had occasionally seen our present GP. But there are lots of illnesses etc that no way I can remember them all.

Went to the Quacks today for a very long overdue consultation, I was diagnosed with fybromyalga two years ago and apart from rejecting the medication that was offered to help with the constant pain in my feet,elbows, hands,knees and back- i have done little but put up with constant pain.

Cymbalta based drugs deal with the brain side of pain relief..but all they did was dope me up...walked round like the claymen from Flash Gordon!

So!!! teed off with pain- so I have decided to go down the road of treating the gut,massive cod liver oil dose/daily portion of oily fish/magnesium spray and a new liquid for joint pain - Leutinn.

I do get around the problems- cable tie applied on the trigger of all my petrol tools.

Push button start on the mower,low plank on blocks to top my hedges.

If anyone on here has any info on fybromyalga, I would be most grateful, daily pain is a hurdle I now want to overcome, sleep and disturbing the Wife's sleep bears down too!

Will let those interested know after a month if my new angle of treatment is working...where's that slab of battenburg?

Isn my cousin suffered with fybromayalgia and she tried changing her diet slightly. I dont know what she changed but it did help her. Have a look online , there must be something. Pain isnt very enjoyable.

Thanks nonna, I forgot to say that exercise is a major key too.

I think I do the wrong type- heavy gardening is not helping...swimming and yoga is good..but my mental obstacles then come in to play.

You have my greatest sympathy Ian. I've been struggling with sciatica for the past 2 months, hardly getting any sleep due to dreadful pain which Is far worse when lying down. I'm sure it's not as debilitating as fybromyalgia and people tell me it will get better in time but it makes me feel miserable, especially in the middle of the night. Hope you find a way to get long term relief Ian.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Lizzie,sciatica is a bugger- and starts up at night.

Sleep becomes a problem and a different cycle then begins.

# 263 Bloody hell Ian!

Hope you get sorted as soon as poss.

Col