Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Bites are a niusance. Last year I had 17 on one leg. Being in a very humid area they usually make a meal of me. The other night from getting out of the car and getting in the house I was bitten twice. I think I've posted before about this but if it helps I'll post again. My miracle cure is , as soon as you feel the bite put a few drops of lavander essential oil on and then a little of aloe vera gel, rub it in.

I find the itching subsides in seconds , the swelling comes straight out and then it gradually goes down. With a few minutes there is nothing but a red mark. Hours afterwards you cant see anything. Anti hystamins dont work for me and they still leave a purple mark .

So far this year I've been bitten at least 50 times but I only have 2 marks left, one from a horse fly and the other a wasp.

Don't believe in natural remedies? Try this I swear by it, it really works.

I forgot , a few years ago someone told me that eating garlic kept mosquitoes away, so I put garlic in everything ( just a little) and that worked but I stopped it as I didn't want a reputation of garlicky breath as here when we greet we give each other 2 kisses on the cheeks. Nice, but not with garlicky breath

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Crikey nonna, I thought I was unlucky being bitten three times this year.

In the past, when one or more has really swelled up, I've been prescribed antibiotics by my GP.

I was bitten terribly years ago at Twycross Zoo, and had to rush to the doctors. So itchy, that's what gets to me the most.

It seems to be mostly just the 'Horse Flies' or 'Clegs', that go for me. The smaller brownish ones are a bit slow and if you feel them land and brush them off quickly you might get away wirth it. Ther's a much sneakier and more persistent black type that will have you if they get to land. Vicious little sods with a painful bite.

Once I know they're about, if I want to spend time outdoors 'au naturel', I have to cover up with sunscreen, followed by an all over spray with Jungle Formula Max.

Trouble is, then you can't touch anything made of plastic etc.,. Even overspray onto plants will damage them and ruin flowers.

The other day I brought in a couple of bags of compost a neighbour had picked up for me. A while later I noticed blue stains all over my sunbathing towel. Then realised they were all from my belly and had transferred from the bags of compost due to me being covered in DEET.

It's hard work being a bronzed Adonis! ;)

Col

Dad used to get bitten a lot. He also got Malaria in the war years, I presume from a Mosquito bite.

I always used to get bitten when I was younger, if we sat out in the garden, everything made a bee line for me. Not any more. I get the occasional bite now but not often. I think the insects can tell I am on Warfarin and know their fate if they swallow any of my blood. vampire2

• Upvote 1

Read somewhere recently that folks with blood type O get bitten a lot, and type A doesn't. Hubby is O and gets chewed up and spit out, I'm A and they leave me alone.

The mozzies on the marsh love SWMBO, so I take her everywhere with me............................. kickme

• Upvote 1

Yes, I'm O , and was told at my first blood donation session that my particular strain was quite rare. They immediately took it to the QMC.

Anyway, pink patch now, only slightly itchy and more Anthisan applied.

I don't know whether it was Lizzies obscure remedy that did the trick or what, but it's not too bad now.

Yes, you're right. No blister though. I bet Lizzie was chuckling away merrily last night waiting for my response. LOL

Actually, it didn't hurt that much as I love the shower up to the maximum.

Katyjay, I must go and get some more glasses as I read your post as 'bite or BUM'. I scrolled back to find out who had a poorly posterior and couldn't find anything. When I reread your post I then saw it said 'burn'

• Upvote 1

Should have gone to Specsavers Margie! I know what you mean though, I often have to read things twice..... Or more!

Infected toe got alot worse overnight..........struggled to get me shoe on this morning,but still went to work,should'nt have could hardly drive.cut a long story short finished up in the 'Walk in centre' at 10am got treated at 2.30,lady cleaned it up and put me on 'Anti-biotics'..........in right state with it,.......more sympathy please.

Aaaaahhhh , let's all say ah for Benjamin.

It reminds me of when I dropped a piece of angle iron on my big toe at work in pre safety boot days. It went purple and I withstood the pain for three days, but I eventually had to attend the works medical centre.

The nurse gave it one look and said ' Oh, we'll soon sort that out. I'll heat up a triangular cross section needle with a candle and I'll drill through the nail to relieve the pressure' . I replied 'Where the hell were you trained, a Jap prisoner of war camp ? '

She laughed, but within seconds she was through the nail and the blood shot up like a fountain. God, it felt good.

Ahhhhh benjamin. I've been there mi duck, can't even bare the sheets on the toe at its worse. I hope your Antibitics do the trick. though it might take a while for them to kick in.Hang on in there! I feel really sorry for you being in so much pain. Is that enough sympathy or would you like a little more.

You could always have the nail off !!!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your sympathy Carnie..........still need me Mam though.............

• Upvote 1

She'd have slapped you and bunged a hot poultice on it !

Ian funny that,thats what the Lady recommended........no chance...........oh and your tip about Iodine.........that's what they used on me............

Benjamin!!

Pull yourself together and act like a true Son of Bestwood. You've brought all this upon yourself through your refusal to get your feet out of socks and shoes!

But seriously, I hope it settles down and you are soon skipping into 'Boowull Wethies' for your double Espresso!!

Col

• Upvote 3

Yes Benjamin, get this sandals on, and get some 'fresh' air round them. And definitely NO socks !

• Upvote 2

Yes, Sandals no socks,going to have to forget about style for a while,............feel trapped already can't even drive into Bulwell,.......life funny int'it,wife limping and not able to drive for a month..........now me,wish i'd given her more sympathy now...........shes going to drive for 1st time this morning to buy me some Sandals......................do hope she gets me some with a bit of style......are there any?

• Upvote 1