Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

I've never been a big drinker, started out with babycham(ugh) progressed to gin and orange( ugh ugh) then Cinzano and bitter lemon. Nice long drink but after 2/3 enough I just want to sleep. Living in Italy I've got into wine but never to excess. Theres always a bottle of Barbera on the table. Its the local wine and very nice. But I drink it more in the winter, in the summer don't think it agrees with the heat. Now I can't drink anything as with the medication in the patch its not advised. I don't miss it and from a womans point of view alcohol is bad for your skin. So ladies keep your complexion and drink water. Yes I know its not as nice but......

Looking at some posts around christmas time at all the youngsters in bad states tells it all. Don't they realise what they look like, I wouldn't like to have that head in the mornings, wonder how they cope.

This coming weekend its our wine festival and all the restaurants and otherwise are preparing for the onslaught. There will be 22 outlets where food and wine will be available. The prices are fixed by the authorities for food , the wine is usually €1 per glass but you first have to buy your glass. You can try as many wines as you can handle or not, just join the queue. Food and wine is paid for by Barberini (

cardboard coins). There are musical groups visiting each courtyards. We have a project for adopting a row of vines and each year collecting the wines from these vines together with your own name. We have visitors from all over. This year it is going to run for 3 days instead of 2 so it will attract more people. Its a lovely festival with many before and after events.

Hope the weather is kind.

• Like 3
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Sounds fantastic nonna. I'll put it on my wish list !

Gem, as long as it's in moderation, then there's nothing really to worry about. A relaxing drink on a warm summers afternoon is wonderful.

• Like 1

If you're quick ,this year but put it in your diary for next year Fly

• Upvote 1

Don't worry about drinking on your own Gem. I love to come home after work on a Friday evening to the peace and quiet of my house. A couple of glasses of Aussie red or Chilean, decanted the previous evening. Bach on the CD player, contented moggies and, in winter, a roaring fire. Bliss. All mine, every bit!

Must be the council house kid in me, I have never had as much as mouthful of wine, wouldn't wash me feet in it. 

If you've never tasted it....

Mouthful, I don't think wine was a thing in the back streets of old Radford, I cannot remember my Mam or Dad ever drinking it & where would they even buy it?   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Same here Red.........over the years kept giving it a go to please certain ladies.........but never took to it,,,worked in 3 Bars in Bulwell in the 60s..........no one ever asked for it........lol

The off licence at the Andover Road shops had the odd bottle in stock back in the 1960s, as did a few shops in Boowul.  There was a shop/off licence or summat on the same side as the old Golden Ball, Royal Oak about that time which had good ole Mateus Rose in the window.  About 8 bob a bottle back then.

I had the odd tipple.

But I only really started drinking wine regularly when Mrs Col started buying Red after I had my heart attack.  She was either trying to save me or kill me off.. not sure which..

Then when I decided to lose weight, I switched from Beer to Wine.  But then I'll drink owt...

• Like 1

When I was young and still living at home, the only alcohol in our house was when my dad had a small glass of port at Christmas - and I seem to remember there being sherry for visitors occasionally.   There was no beer, lager, wine or spirits.... 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, MargieH said:

dad had a snall glass of port at Christmas

Mams Christmas treat - Advocaat and lemonade. Can't remember if it was a SNALL  glass or not!    :P

Brief partial respite yesterday, but the itching is back with a vengeance.

Just reading all sorts of horror stories about assorted itches picked up from Sandflies and sea bathing in Mexico... 

Who knows?

Since using this medicinal patch for my back, I've been virtually pain free but there are side effects (like always) Nausia! From Sunday until today I've been living on toast and crackers. 

Hopefully it will ease a bit the longer I keep it on. I have to change them after 7 days and can't take them off unless its under medical control. I'm hungry but can't stand the thought of food.

• Upvote 2

Glad the pain is subsiding nonna, but the thought of no substantial food is a bit off putting.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Brief partial respite yesterday, but the itching is back with a vengeance.

Just reading all sorts of horror stories about assorted itches picked up from Sandflies and sea bathing in Mexico... 

Who knows?

I've learnt a new word from the soap 'Doctors' on TV.   "Cyberchondriac". 

But, of course, we all do it and sometimes we're right!

• Like 1
On 4 maggio 2019 at 10:32 AM, MargieH said:

I've learnt a new word from the soap 'Doctors' on TV.   "Cyberchondriac". 

But, of course, we all do it and sometimes we're right!

Yes Margie a lot of new words, phrases and sarcastic cartoons are surfacing on here. But they're not always the right ones to fit the offering.

I've recently increased my medication patch and don't know if I've done the right thing. The first few days apart from nausea were great. No pain. Since then I have had more pain than I can sometimes stand. I'm having moments when I feel really confused and seem to be out of myself. It soon passes but its unnerving . I've told the dr that if I'm still going to have pain with this increase , I would sooner have no patch even if I still have the pain. I want to be without but have to do it carefully and gradually lower the dose. I am now on a smaller dose and will continue until 17 th this month when I see the neuro surgeon, hoping that something can be done quickly. I know I do too much but I can't hang around doing nothing . I get told off for not resting, but to me resting is a waste of time and we don't know how much longer we have. BTW I'm not going without a struggle.

12 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

I get told off for not resting, but to me resting is a waste of time

Really nonna you must make your family so cross! Resting may not be a waste of time, it may be a way to increase it. Just you jolly well do as you're told and start to relax..........

My dad was the same, "I don't need to take me tablets I don't feel  poorly"...

Brew I know you're right but I have this desire to do something all the time whether it's cooking, baking, gardening ( that's a laugh for a start , I have difficulty bending and straightening up again but I try) even just tidying up etc.

This patch I have changed makes me so sleepy. Last night I went to bed at 10 pm and woke up at 10 am . I couldn't get out of bed and had to sit on the edge for 15 minutes before I could stand. I'm having my breakfast now and then after taking a paracetamol I'm going to go back to bed to "straighten out", then spend an hour in my special chair. Hopefully by then the pain in my hip will subside. My back is the problem not the hip, but Dr says it's the nerve that is causing the pain.

I have a pan full of filling made for the cottage pies and my daughter brought home a huge plastic box. full of ragu for the lasagne. Sorry but now they are in the freezer and will have to wait one at a time for when my daughter is at home to or help. My husband can't do or help as he is in the same position but with his back and knee. 

Going to finish my cuppa and bed here I come.

Sorry to read all about your pain and health problems, nonna.   I hope the pain will ease and you'll 'straighten out' in an hour or so. xx

• Like 1

Bleddy feet,,hate,hate,hate,,just the site of em,,,even my own,,no sorry especially my own,,,..................been suffering badly with my 'Ingrowing Toe Nail,,

Doctor gave me choice yesterday..........Surgery? or no socks with open toed shoes?         Surgery coming up soon !!!!

• Like 2

Margie , thank you so much. I'm now sitting in my special chair which supports all the painful areas. Sitting near the window getting some fresh air and sunshine. Roll,on 17 th when I can find out what's to be done.

• Like 1