FLY2

Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Viv sounds like a formidable nurse!  I expect she was shadowing the patients from Mapperley on their outing as part of their treatment/rehabilitation....

• Like 2

Well the three days of bliss whilst on steroids expired Thursday and from yesterday the itch gradually returned, though not the full rash.. (yet). Called the Doc's yesterday afternoon who said they'd received a response from the Dermatology Helpline, but only just, and would be passing it to Doc, who would likely not have time to look at it till Monday.  And he's all booked up for next two weeks. Asked them politely to do their best to get him to see me or call me ASAP.

Annoyingly, I've found a few old prednisolone tablets in the bottom of my 'Meds' tin. Enough for 7 days at the dosage I've just had (20mg per day)  The tabs are well out of date but I'm strongly tempted, and an online search shows that most 'solid' meds don't deteriorate if still in packaging. It's a bit like dying of thirst just out of reach of a dripping tap... :(

• Like 1

Drs being booked up for the next two weeks. It's getting worse, who predicts that they will need the dr in the next 2 weeks. I agree the appointment system, we have it here too but there is a zero wait that you can go to the only thing is it's usually early morning. More popular at the hospitals. It does save a lot of worry and agro. When you need a doctor, you need a doctor not a long wait.

I sometimes get itchy but luckily my allergy tablets alleviate it quickly. You. Have my sympathy can’t imagine anything worse, hope the dermotology helpline can sort something out for you. Not sure about the out of date medication though, could still be a bit risky?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Well the three days of bliss whilst on steroids expired Thursday and from yesterday the itch gradually returned, though not the full rash.. (yet). Called the Doc's yesterday afternoon who said they'd received a response from the Dermatology Helpline, but only just, and would be passing it to Doc, who would likely not have time to look at it till Monday.  And he's all booked up for next two weeks. Asked them politely to do their best to get him to see me or call me ASAP.

Annoyingly, I've found a few old prednisolone tablets in the bottom of my 'Meds' tin. Enough for 7 days at the dosage I've just had (20mg per day)  The tabs are well out of date but I'm strongly tempted, and an online search shows that most 'solid' meds don't deteriorate if still in packaging. It's a bit like dying of thirst just out of reach of a dripping tap... :(

I wouldn't hesitate Col at best you get some relief, at worst they will be ineffective - what's to lose?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's tempting Brew and now not only the itch, but the rash, has returned.  Thing is, prednisolone is a very powerful drug, described as having 'no safe doseage'. It seems they usually want to limit use to 'flattening' an allergic response, then tapering off the dose.

The list of potential side effects is even more endless than the usual stuff with any drug these days.  It includes increased risk of glaucoma, heart failure and a number of other issues I already have ( though only lightly at present). Doc was very careful to instruct me to closely observe all the little wounds I have from involuntary scratching and to seek help immediately if any get infected. This steroid lowers resistance to infection.

So, I'll be a brave soldier and wait to see what develops tomorrow.

If I'm expected to wait more than a day or so I'll ask for more Prednisolone.  But then it's possible the Dermatologist will want tests, which will rule that out.

We shall see.

DJ, it's probably silly me asking, but have you considered it could be a nerve thing rather than physical?  I'm not teaching gran to suck eggs but just looking at another side. Only trying to help in my inefficient way. Sometimes psychological stress can cause visible effects. Beekay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

STRESS, STRESS ! We don't get stress on here ! How very dare you? 

Nobody said anything about stress on here. The lad must have more things in his life than NS. Just saying is all. Stress can be caused by various things. But I'm probably way off track, what do I know ?

• Like 1

One of the side effects of my Ramipril is a permanent dry cough. It amuses me whenever I see an advert saying '  if you've had your cough for three weeks, check with your pharmacist '. I've had my bloody cough over three years.

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

DJ, it's probably silly me asking, but have you considered it could be a nerve thing rather than physical?  I'm not teaching gran to suck eggs but just looking at another side. Only trying to help in my inefficient way. Sometimes psychological stress can cause visible effects. Beekay.

A very reasonable point BK.  When this first showed itself in a small way before I went to Mexico, I wondered because I had been very stressed out.  However, it really came on with a vengeance a week or so after I got back from Mexico.  I had pretty dry skin from sea swimming and sun exposure and put it down to that.  However, I've sorted the dry skin and it's continued.  I'm not especially stressed out and I keep trying to distract myself, but it just carries on.  Antihistamines have no effect and the only thing that helped was three days on steroids.  I'm awaiting some sort of contact from the Doc's as they now have an email response from a consultant.

14 minutes ago, Beekay said:

One of the side effects of my Ramipril is a permanent dry cough. It amuses me whenever I see an advert saying '  if you've had your cough for three weeks, check with your pharmacist '. I've had my bloody cough over three years.

Never been on ramipril, but they did start me in Lisinopril (Another 'ACE inhibitor') years ago. Made me feel awful so they swapped me from ACE inhibitors onto an A2 inhibitor called Losartan, which apparently does the same job.  If your cough bothers you it might be worth checking with the Doc to see if there's an alternative?

Moving back onto topic...

I heard nothing from the Doc's yesterday, so went to my online 'Consultations' record and it said 'Book Appointment' and pointed me to that rarest of things.. an available appointment next morning, first thing.

So was at Doc's at 8 this a.m.

Dermatologist has requested more blood tests, to eliminate a couple of possibilities. Will fast tonight and get those done early tomorrow.  Also a Chest X-Ray, which I shot down to St Helens and got done straight after Doc's. Also suggested a treatment involving covering myself in some sort of steroid cream and covering up with bandages, but only if things don't continue to settle. Doesn't sound like much fun but I don't know the details yet.

Doc's of the opinion that I'm getting on top of this thing and should just work on keeping skin moist and doing all I can to break the 'itch-scratch' cycle.  Also advised carrying on with fexofenadine and adding piriton x2 at night. To be fair, it hasn't returned quite so viciously since the Steroid course, but it's still with me day and night.  We shall see.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Moving back onto topic...

Also suggested a treatment involving covering myself in some sort of steroid cream and covering up with bandages, but only if things don't continue to settle. Doesn't sound like much fun but I don't know the details yet.

Don’t book a holiday to Egypt til you’re sorted DJ

AB5-D2-EC4-4-BFE-4-D42-8133-CA93492-F541

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Listen to what Mummy says. No, seriously, I hope you get sorted Colin, I have had allergic reactions and the itching is beyond terrible. Can only sympathize.

• Like 1

Col, I've been for a chest X-ray this morning same as you, but I'm not itching.... only coughing

• Like 1

Aren't the trucks very well then ? I see one is already in recovery.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Suicide..because of the screen Catfan?

Partly, no protection when you hit a M'way bridge !!:tony:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MargieH said:

Col, I've been for a chest X-ray this morning same as you, but I'm not itching.... only coughing

Funny thing Margie, I wasn't coughing before the Chest X-Ray, but was for about 30 minutes after.  Very odd.  :blink:

Col, Was it because you had to breathe in as deeply as you could and then 'hold your breath' whilst the X-ray was carried out?   If you don't normally breathe really deeply, this might make you cough?

Don't know Margie. May just have been coincidence. Veg sellers were setting up outside as I left. Maybe some dust from their van.

Heard today that I have my pre recovery appointment booked for next Wednesday so it may not be too long before I have my op. I have to go to Turin the appointment is 8am. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2