FLY2

Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Never heard of it, I'll look into it later today...

Edit: Seems to be for smartphones only...:(

13 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I don't have a smartphone. It can be accessed via any device.

The web site only has Android and Apple apps...?

12 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

and you do all your calculations on an abacus. Time has passed you by!:biggrin:

That has always been my aim. ;)

• Like 1

I can see where you're coming from but in my case I want facts and answers 'on tap' and having the equivalent of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica in my pocket is a wonderful thing. 

24 minutes ago, Brew said:

The web site only has Android and Apple apps...?

We access it through iPad AND laptop.  We were originally asked by our surgery if we wanted to join systmonline and had to fill in and sign a sheet to say we were happy for our medical records to be available to any medical practitioner.

It  really is so much easier than having to phone up the surgery.  The only negative is that you can't make an appointment just to see a nurse - still have to phone up for that.....

5 hours ago, MargieH said:

Was it 2 GPs who referred you to GE?   If your notes are electronically stored, how can this happen?  We've signed up for something called 'systmonline' which allows any GP or hospital to access  our notes.   It's also good for ordering repeat prescriptions and making appointments... when doing the latter we get a list of available doctors and times and just tick the one we want.   We still have to wait a few days/weeks though if it's not an urgent appointment!  We can also view our test results online... I think it's really good.

Hope  your virtual colonoscopy will provide some useful information.   

I use a web based system called 'Patient Access'  It allows me to book appointments with GPs/Nurses etc.. to request Repeat Prescriptions, to inspect Test Results and my Medical Record etc, plus access to a lot of other info. I can of course access the web via my phone.

However.. that system does not extend into hospital out patient appointments etc.  Also. the national appointments management system also failed yesterday when I tried to cancel an appointment online.  When I finally spoke to a very helpful lady at the local hospital she also told me that the SMS based system of appointment reminders was a bit flakey too.. as I had long suspected.

All above said.. the main issue seems to be that one Doc originally referred me, but has offered no follow up.. whereas the second Doc called me in for follow up on an other issue and then decided to refer me for urgent investigations on the 'digestive' issue.  Crossed wires I think, but the main thing is I'm getting sorted.

6 minutes ago, MargieH said:

The only negative is that you can't make an appointment just to see a nurse - still have to phone up for that.....

Don't give up hope, Margie. My practice and a few others are now making appointments with the practice nurse and other staff bookable online. This doesn't yet extend to blood tests but may do so one day.

• Upvote 1

I have several options for blood tests.  The local surgery will do them but it usually involves a wait.  The local 'Walk In'  Centre does them between 07:30 and 09:00 a.m .. mostly for people who are working.  It's only 10 minutes away by car and if I turn up at around 08:30 there's virtually no wait.  And finally, St Helens Hospital is slightly further.. maybe 15 minutes by car, but they do 'bloods' all day from 09:00 to 5:00 pm and the wait, though a bit variable.. is usually no more than a few minutes.

I have been ensconced (is that a word?) on the settee, slowly festering, most of the day in my pjs. I did tidy up the house a bit and saw to boys, they really didn’t want to go out this morning. Then we all had a nap. I did feel a dog intently looking at me once or twice but kept my eyes shut and after the inspection they lay down again. 
This afternoon I have been listening to podcasts with an accompanying crunching of pigs ears and lamp spaghetti and the occasional cat nap.
As it has been such a dark miserable day it seemed the logical thing to do as I definitely wasn’t going anywhere. I hope the antibiotics will start to kick in a bit tomorrow and I will start to feel a bit better and do a bit more without the wheezing and coughing. I hate chest infections when they make you feel that you can’t breath properly. 

Perhaps SG you need my Grandma's remedy (for pretty everything, coughs, colds and runny noses), goose grease and brown paper on the chest.    ;)

Swore by or swore at?

I was reading on another thread that Chulla and someone else had elevated psa levels,i had the same thing 6 years ago i went for a biopsy they took twelve samplesehen it came back one looked suspicious on the edge.The doctor told me i could leave it as is,have radiation or remove the prostate he said if i had radiation and that did not fix it i could not get it removed so i decided right there to have the operation.It took 4hour and they did it laprosticlly iwoke up in the recovery room taken back to the ward and 1 hour later was walking around the hallways the next day i went home the only drawback was i had to wear a catheter for 2 weeks.I was off work for 7 weeks Jill my wife looked after me absolutely fantastic isaw the doctor after 7 weeks and he said i am clear of cancer and i am a very lucky man.To all men out there dont be embarrassed about getting your prostate checked the sooner the better.Good luck Chulla and anyone else who is having prostate problems we are all pulling  for you take care.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, Ian, Chulla passed on almost 2 years ago. He is greatly missed but I'm sure he would endorse your advice not to ignore things and to seek expert help.  It is good to know that you are in the clear.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear that Jill i liked reading his stories on nottstalgia i will miss him to thanks Jill.All the best for the New Year love Ian and Jill Canada.

Pleased all is well with you Ian.  I haven’t looked through the threads you’re referring to but your advice on getting checked is vital for all men.  My husband had PC a few years ago and chose the hormone treatment and radiotherapy route, as did other Nottstalgians.  All good still, it must be 6 or 7 years ago since he suffered all that and he’s absolutely fine.  

As for Chulla ..... a lovely lovely very clever man who is sadly missed on this site.  He was a great friend to many.  

• Like 6

Good guy!  I think I almost converted him.  ;)  To wanting to play the organ, that is.  He seemed genuinely interested and we had some good chats.

3am and just woke up,,terrific pains in my back,,thought ""Oh no,,what now""

Then realised,,....could'nt find the "Remote control""    night all,,

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Aah benj, sorry but you made me laugh again. Thankfully it was the remote that woke you? Your words keep making me smile.( I hope that was your intention)?

You reminded me of an incident that happened to me a couple of nights ago, similar, but different? I also woke about 4am for my usual stroll to the powder room. I had a a sensation on a part of my anatomy that felt odd and abit scarey.

Any way after further investigation, I realised my skin wasn't falling off but the plastic bag that I keep my earphones in was firmly stuck to my right Buttock. Phew, thankfully the earphones were not still inside. You gotta laugh ant ya Miduck.:biggrin:

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Not a very pleasant thought in today's world situation but we' just heard that Universities in Piemonte where we are are to be closed in the present coranavirus scare. Our schools are to be closed to and we have been informed that we can have private checks ( tampon check) for those who are worried or not well. Staying out of crowded situations too . It's all very worrying. Turin is only 50 km away and Milan not very much further. There are a lot of people who have weekend houses here who live in Turin and Milan. So that makes it more reason to be concerned. In fact next door but one to us are a family that live in Milan. We have friends that regularly visit family in Veneto. Problem is you don't know where or who people have been close to or been.

I have to finish my physio ( (4 more ) next week and now I'm thinking shall I cancel and recuperate later? I do them at home so don't think I'm missing out.

Another thing we have a bar that is run by Chinese. The wife returned to China to look after her mother with cancer. She was about to come home when the outbreak started. Although she was right in the north she had to stay  and didn't know when she could return. Every week she thought she would be able to travel but now she has returned ( after all checks) and out of common sense and concern for her clients she has closed the bar until further notice. No doubt the mentality of the older locals here will no longer visit the bar and hang around outside taking all the seating for themselves.

Hope this situation doesn't get too out of hand and hope too that U.K. Can keep it under check.

Update on my follow ups. After a couple of jittery weeks I finally had my blood test, X-ray and ecograph, the next day saw oncologist who started to say X-ray was fine then hesitated whilst he looked at my reports. ( Breath held ) then he said that everything was fine. The shadow that I had / have hasn't grown in 2 yrs so relief all round. ( scaring) The best part now is after another TAC in September he thinks that he will finish my follow ups.  In a way it's a relief after 11 yrs from the start. Severn yrs since the last termoblation.

I thank all the staff and drs in oncology for their concern, sympathy and the capacity to make you feel well.

• Like 7