FLY2

Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Our local pharmacist, a very lovely and helpful man, has had such severe arthritis for many years, I’ve known him for 16 years and until I took time to chat with him I always thought he’d been a polio victim as his hands and feet are terribly deformed.  He makes up and drinks a concoction of turmeric and some sort of vinegar every day.  I’ve discussed this since with his wife (who is also a pharmacist) as my husband has arthritis in his back.  She said it’s not necessary to drink his recipe but to just buy the turmeric capsules, which I did.   I can’t say whether they work because my husband isn’t very good at remembering to take herbal/alternative remedies.  
As for the CBD oil, they’ve started selling that in our pharmacy too but the dose is very low and the pharmacist reckons it will help if your brain wants it to work!   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Pharmacist not into patent medicines eh?  Wise man..

Seems so LL.  just remembered it’s Apple Cider Vinegar he said to mix Turmeric with. It seems it’s quite the miracle ingredient when used on its own too.  

Another friend has been advised to take apple cider vinegar for acid reflux.  She's already on Omeprazole which doesn't seem to do the job.

At times, I have problems with stomach acid. It's unpleasant. I've also had a couple of stomach ulcers, the first when I was 18. My father was prone to acid problems and always seemed to have a bottle of Aludrox to hand. I think Gaviscon has replaced that nowadays.

Personally, I can't see how apple cider vinegar could help acid reflux. It's just pouring more acid on the problem.

One of my meds is Lanzoprasol. Taken to stop reflux and help settle all 19 tablets.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Seems so LL.  just remembered it’s Apple Cider Vinegar he said to mix Turmeric with. It seems it’s quite the miracle ingredient when used on its own too.  

Lizzie, I don't know about cider vinegar with turmeric being effective or not but it apparently works for the pharmacist. I did a research on turmeric and quite a few results said that black pepper increases the effect of the curcum that on its own doesn't bring about the true benefits of it. But sometimes it's a matter of choice, how you feel or how you react to it. I say do what you think is good for you and maybe believe in it. I've been taking orally Aloe Arborescens for years and my body tells me when it's time to take it again. I have no regular programme for taking it, I just wait for the signals.

Nonna, I believe the turmeric capsules my friend takes also include black pepper.

• Like 1

Yes, the pharmacist also listed black pepper In his magic potion.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Hi there-  Ians wife JILL here!  Please keep me posted on your progress, l suffer with arthritis in my knees and lymphedema in my legs, been on medication for my condition for so long that they dont work for me anymore. My daughter also keeps bugging me to try the Hemp and medical marijuana, my physician also asked if l would like to try the pill form with no side effects and no smell! 

But being from the old school ( thinking its a sin) trying any of these types of therapeutics l wont here of it!!!!

Recently they all became legal in Canada, so on two occasions l have got as far as the front door of the shop that sells it but l just can make myself get out of the car to make a purchase!  Maybe the third try going will be lucky for me and l will go in and give it a try! Lol

For Jill (Finn) Thanks for the interest, I'm not trying to promote anything so really it's up to you to try something which might help you in someway. My daughter has been telling me for a long long while to try what she calls medicinal cannibis. I was horrified when she mentioned it but she's explained that she had been researching it. She has various problems including being almost diabetic. She's had to eliminate certain foods because she swells up like a balloon, she also has a lot of pain in her hands which  in  her job as chef doesn't help her with intricate procedures. She apparently ( without mentioning it to me) bought some including some to smoke ( she doesn't smoke) . However she had had it for quite a long time before she decided to use it, always dubious as to the results. She felt fine , slept soundly and had no after effects or cravings to start taking it on a regular basis. She still has it all but doubt if she'll continue, but she kept telling me to buy this Hemp gel that I gave in and ordered some. First I read all the reviews, hesitated again then ordered. 

I had the injection in my hand on Monday last and had more severe pain afterwards right up until Friday. I used the gel twice in one day and thought in the evening that I had less pain when the following day I had almost none. I don't want to say that it was the gel or whether it was the injection kicking in. So as I said before I'm going to wait until I have the last injection which will be next Monday to see whether the injection is irritating the nerves in my hand and causing more pain.

You will have to decide for yourself if you want to try, I can understand how you feel about what has been considered a drug even though there has been a lot of pros to it. Research it in every possible way before you decide. I'd love to be able to say to say that's " yes it's works 100%" but only you can decide. I certainly will keep you informed of my progress even if it seems negative for you. 

By the way the gel comes in a 300g tub and the colour is a little bit like " golden eye ointment" not very inviting to use. It smells a bit like menthol. It also contains Rosemary, calendula and other seed oils.

Hope you decide on the correct action for you, All the best.

47 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Do you rattle? ;)

Only when I go to the disco. :rolleyes: 11 in the morning, 4 at lunch, 3 at teatime and 2 at bed time.

• Like 1

Don't know how you do it. I can't swallow pills. My thyroxine pills are tiny but I can drink an entire glass of water and still find they haven't gone down the hatch!

• Like 1

Pssst Jill Finn, wanna buy some spliffs?

Nonna, does your gel contain camphor.? Only ask because I'm  using Tiger balm for my shoulder .Was given it by Gym trainer. I've  also bought some Tiger gel. Don't  know if it's relevant,  just thought I'd throw it into the ring.

• Like 1

Re. Turmeric,.  I was taking it when I had my stroke.  I don't think that was the cause and the doctor didn't blame it either.  He said the problem was high bp.  I agree.  Mrs. L got bent out of shape about it because, "it's a blood thinner."  Surely, according to logic, thinner blood should lower you bp.  That was the main reason I was taking it.  Some docs prescribe bp thinners eg.  'Clopidogrel'.  It all depends on the type of stroke you had.  I think we should be careful with any type of herb or patent medicine, but I think, used in moderation Turmeric should be ok.  Now, if somebody could convince Mrs. Loppy of that I'd appreciate it.  As is my attitude tends to be,  My body, my choice.

• Like 2

Turmeric is supposed to be good for heart health.  Think I mentioned previously a chap I know who was prescribed Clopidogrel. He used to say, "It's time for my dog tablets!"  Bless him. He's passed on now!

• Like 1

Clopidogrel !! That's one o mine annawl. 

LL if in doubt consult your GP. I'm very careful in taking anything without either researching it or asking my dr. My oncologist told me after Aloe Arborescens was recommended to me through a cousin ( that was recommended by her oncologist) only the word " BRAVA" he absolututely agreed. So always check especially if you have other problems.

• Like 1

BK yes it does contain Camphor .

Then you should have bright eyes, a shiny coat and a cold nose, Beekay! Loppy has competition!

I don't have worms or fleas either.  Picture of canine health, I am!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Thank goodness for that Loppy, I was just about to research it.:rotfl:

• Like 1

Me neither Loppy ! Did almost have a touch of Distemper though, when I were a pup.

• Like 1

Nasty that!  Like the Parvo, gives ya the runs.  Takes more than a Bob Martins to fix that.  ;)

Still battling to get the results from the 24 hour Cardio Monitor. Nobody seems to know where they went. Everything else checks out OK but I am just so tired all the time. Walking is no longer a pleasure. It's a chore. Could be just ageing I suppose but I'm still sure something changed around 6 weeks ago, overnight.

Very wearing.

Trogg how's the gel going? I've been overdoing things which left me in pain again even after my last injection. I used the gel for 2 days and the pain has been relieved. I must learn to stop after a while, I get bored doing nothing so I find cooking, baking etc a great way of producing dishes etc for future consumption but I never learn to ease up.