We do. LED headlights have already been introduced in the Audi A8 and Lexus LS and LED tail lights are fast becoming standard on most cars. A couple of problems with energy saving bulbs that add to the cost. Firstly, the effectiveness of Xenon/Halogen is pretty ,much in direct proportion to the energy consumed, also many energy saving lights are too slow to reach peak output. LEDs have the problem of not producing heat so without heated glass in front, there can be problems of icing over in winter. They are also a more costly method to incorporate in a car so will be introduced from the top down through models until the cost/benefit is better. In theory, LEDs should last the lifetime of the car.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember when my friends dad had starter motor problems with his car. He went down the scrap yard and got a used one. When he got home he'd get his bag of spanners, the bonnet went up and he cha

But when you want a light to turn red......eg. if you want to adjust the radio or shuffle yourself round........they stay on green.

The best system is in the states, a red light acts as a give way if you are turning right. You can turn right if nothing is coming from your left. Unless prohibited.

I've always been of the belief that if a road designer installs a roundabout (usually after extensive monitoring of road conditions for months and months) and then, at a later date, it's decided to add traffic lights the original contractor should not get paid. I still have no idea why you would put lights on a roundabout. If that's required then there shouldn't have been a roundabout there in the first place, it should have been lights.

Something to think about. Low power consumption LED or hi-res lighting whether for car or home do in fact use less juice but you have to take the process of manufacture in to consideration. All semi-conductor devices such as LED's, transistors micro chips etc. are etched and deposited with nasty chemicals and gasses and a lot of power is used during the manufacturing process. This is similar for battery cars, it's all very well saying they're eco friendly but what about the the generation of the electricity to charge the vehicle? None of the above is as friendly as the powers would have us believe.

• Upvote 3

Only had brand new car when it was a company car,............in my foolish youth i got one on HP......Never did it again,only got cars i could afford to buy cash,

Bleddy Cars...............last one cost me £200,.........lol.

• Upvote 3

Only brought a 'spanker' once,an EFI black Orion new shape,worked at Standens then,took it up Chartwell to work..contracts Manager did his nut..zoomed off to headquarters behind star pub..and wingded to his gaffer!

YOU RIGHT NBL,..................my car talks to me..............but i can't even check the sodding oil.,...........and whats all this Diagnostic's shite////////////////////////////////?

I can remember when my friends dad had starter motor problems with his car. He went down the scrap yard and got a used one. When he got home he'd get his bag of spanners, the bonnet went up and he changed the starter motors. You could see things under the bonnet in those days. Nowadays, you lift the bonnet and can't get at anything bar the oil and water. If you have a problem you have to go to the garage where they'll plug the car into the computer to find the fault. Once they've found the fault they empty your wallet. :)

• Upvote 6

Bought wife a new car when I retired 11 years ago. It depreciated by £18k after 3 years. The most I've paid for a car since then is £3k. Current car £2.5k and taken me to France and back 5 times and a pleasure to drive. Can't see any reason for getting anything better. If a big bill looms at mot time I'll just buy another cheap car with a full mot. I had a £3k car for 8 years and only spent a few hundred on it; then it was nicked.2 years ago, otherwise I would still be driving it.

My old Renault who I call 'Ronnie'.. Obviously!!

Always runs better after a Polish and a hoover..even the tyre walls got a going over..runs like a beut, turns on a dime,purrs like a cat..700 bucks..bargain!!

When I bought "Reggie Babe" at a cost of £3k for a five year old car, I didn't sleep at night for ages.

I ran this car for ten years with virtually no problems, in fact this was then the best car that I had ever owned then.

p1010683-web.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

whats all this Diagnostic's shite////////////////////////////////?

You can buy a code reader for about a tenner, I bought one a few years back and it saved me thousands.

FWIW - all the readers and error codes are industry standard and you can find the meaning of the errors on t'interweb. I've used mine on Jeep, Jag, Volvo, Renault, Peugeot, VW and Ford.

• Upvote 2

Thanks mick,i know you mean well but I just couldn't buy owt like that it bores me silly,and I know it would save money but my Brain just switches off if confronted with owt technical/mechanical......................guess I just have to keep working to pay others to do it for me,............got my car back this morning and the bloke who repaired it started showing me all the Gubbins he'd replaced,wanted to throttle him (bless him nice bloke).....lol.

Just read back what I wrote............can't believe I put GUESS.....these Colonials from the good old USA on here must be rubbing off on me.

• Upvote 2

I've got an engine management light on on my Jag right now but knowing what it is this boy won't be fixing it. It's the second o2 sensor at the rear of the transverse V6 and it's a complete and utter bugger to get at. My repairer won't be too chuffed but what do I pay him for?

Pheew,these 02 sensors on the transverse v6's.............are a 'Bark' are'nt they Mick......................now where did i put that Banana thats turning black........lol.

• Upvote 1

Read S. 188 of the Highway Code and that will answer the question.

Just read it, Phil. It's roundly ignored in this part of the country. It seems most of us are capable of treating the junction as a roundabout for the purposes of priority, without the need to attempt to drive around it.