• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember when my friends dad had starter motor problems with his car. He went down the scrap yard and got a used one. When he got home he'd get his bag of spanners, the bonnet went up and he cha

But when you want a light to turn red......eg. if you want to adjust the radio or shuffle yourself round........they stay on green.

The best system is in the states, a red light acts as a give way if you are turning right. You can turn right if nothing is coming from your left. Unless prohibited.

49# PEVERAL.........................it seems everyone must be on fantastic wages for dealing/working in bits of metal,

Front brake pads are always replaced with new brake discs nowadays, why ?

Don't tell me the discs should be changed as well, NOT if they are not badly scored they don't.

A nice little earner there for someone !

• Like 1

Ben. #46. Its not rubbing off on you yet. Not 'til you start saying things like "I'm fixin too" like my Tennessee wife. Or ' I'm burnin' up"

Translation = I'm too hot. Etc.

Or if you live in Canada turn every statement into a question. Cold eh? Sunny day, eh? Nice car, eh? The list is unlimited. You know the rules though. When in Rome....

But none of 'em understand real Nottingham. We've gorrem licked there. Didjagdahn is total foreign to 'em.

• Upvote 2

Loppy so long as i don't get the Canadian one i don't mind,..........Upspeak' we call it,and i absolutely detest it,and its spreading like wild fire',even some news reporters now have it.every time i turn the car radio on someone is doing it,

One of the cleaners, where i do a bit of work uses it,all the wifes relatives in Devon do it,

ITS TAKING OVER THE WORLD,.....................HELP......................

and probably even 'educated fleas do it'..................................................

• Upvote 2

Just read it, Phil. It's roundly ignored in this part of the country. It seems most of us are capable of treating the junction as a roundabout for the purposes of priority, without the need to attempt to drive around it.

Some of the Highway Code is advisory and a breach could be a contributory factor in a prosecution but S.188 is a "must", unless the vehicle is too large to pass round, so it is a breach of the law to pass over the white dot. I sure we all do it at times but it could lead to a prosecution if an accident happens.

Catfan #32: The Greens all say that electric vehicles are CO2 free but in fact all they do is transfer their pollution to a point source - the power stations. Even if they are using windmill electricity they are not CO2 free by a long chalk; it takes about ten years for a windmill to become Carbon neutral, until then they are paying the enormous cost of strip mining for Rare Earth to make the magnets and all the concrete production that goes into their massive bases and steel for their towers. At the end of all that, the 45m blades cannot be recycled.

• Upvote 2

Upspeak eh? :biggrin: They were doing it when I moved there in 71. Not so much a raised pitch of the voice. Just a conclusion to many sentences. I heard it explained that it demanded a response. The reason being that if you were out in the woods with a buddy and it is thirty below and you just said "Cold" You would not necessarily get an answer. If you turn it into a question by adding Eh? he is expected to answer. No answer means he froze to death two miles back!

• Upvote 1

Not so much a raised pitch of the voice. Just a conclusion to many sentences.

Yes, doesn't sound like 'upspeak' in the least (which I agree is somewhat irritating).

Begs the old questions, Loppy...

Q: 'How do you spell Canada?'

Q: :C eh N eh D eh' etc. :)

• Upvote 3
  • 4 years later...
On 1/5/2016 at 12:27 PM, catfan said:

When applying butter to bread or toast, if you drop the said article on the floor WHY does it always land face down ?

Simples, wait until you’ve dropped it, before you butter it :crazy: 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

A collection of books is supposed to show some sort of intelligence!

The thing that is irritating me about these "home visit" interviews (especially bad on UK television but similar here as well) is having to  look up into the interviewee's nostrils. Why can't they position their webcam (or whatever they're using) a touch higher to make their face on a similar level as the camera?