Golden Age of Children's T.V.

Tomorrow night (Monday December 21st) there’s a programme on BBC 4 at 9pm called “From Andy Pandy To Zebedee The Golden Age of Children’s T.V.”. It may take quite a few of us back to our early years. It’s preceded by some old episodes “Play School”, John Craven’s Newsround”, “Blue Peter” and “Grange Hill”

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any one remember Tingha and Tucker, with Auntie Jean....I was a member, and my photo was shown on one episode...   

I think the rot set in with that awful BBC program "Grange Hill" absolute & utter garbage, this is when kids started to become brats, not children anymore.

I remember on Tingha and Tucker there was a sign made by members, you put your fore finger along your nose towards your forehead, and bowed your head. I am a mine of useless information!

It very much depends upon your age which children's TV programs you recall.

Again when you have your kids and yet again with the grandchildren.

From my childhood, in the fifties, watching on a very small screen Bush television in black and white.

Watch with Mother

Monday - Picture Book

Tuesday - Andy Pandy with Looby Loo and Teddy

Wednesday - Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men with Little Weed - Flobbalob

Thursday - Rag, Tag and Bobtail

Friday - The Woodentops - a family with the biggest spotty dog you ever saw

• Upvote 3

Sweet Valley High with my eldest granddaughter.

When I was little, it was Muffin the Mule I loved. The programmes in #1 were mainly the ones I watched with my kids. They used to like another one called 'Pogles Wood' although I think it was a bit scary for them for some reason - I think there was a witch in it? Later they liked Grange Hill...... so didI

Ian, I remember the Tomorrow People ..... loved that

Loved watching Muffin the Mule. I got one for Christmas one year but I wasn't very good at working the strings and it wasn't as 'exciting' as it was on TV, of course. It's the same with some of the toys that are advertised on TV these days. They look really exciting when you watch the children enjoying the toys, but when you actually get them, it isn't quite the same....

That story of the Tin Soldier was a bit different to the one I know... I seem to remember the soldier only had one leg because the manufacturer had run out of tin and the ballerina appeared to have only one leg as she was pirouetting - that's why the soldier fell in love with her... he thought she only had one leg the same as him! At the end of the story the little soldier ended up melting on a fire and a sudden (mysterious) gust of wind blew the ballerina on the fire too, so they were together for ever. All that was left on the fire was a little piece of tin shaped like a heart and a charred flower from the ballerina's hair. I'm feeling a bit choked now as I remember this story ..... it was beautiful

• Upvote 2

Merthyr, no I'm not a member of the Muffin Club..... I didn't even know there was one. But I can still sing the song and still remember Oswald the ostrich. His beak used to drop and Annette Mills used to close it and say: "Don't gape, Oswald". And there was Peregrine the penguin who I think used to be a bit angry?

I can remember Mr Pastry - he was supposed to be funny but I never thought he was. There was also Mr Turnip, but wasn't he a puppet?