Golden Age of Children's T.V.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any one remember Tingha and Tucker, with Auntie Jean....I was a member, and my photo was shown on one episode...   

I think the rot set in with that awful BBC program "Grange Hill" absolute & utter garbage, this is when kids started to become brats, not children anymore.

I remember on Tingha and Tucker there was a sign made by members, you put your fore finger along your nose towards your forehead, and bowed your head. I am a mine of useless information!

How about "The Bumblies" with Michael Bentine.

I'm Bumbly number 1, I'm Bumbly number 2, I'm the one that's not very bright, I'm Bumbly number 3.

And Michael Bentine's "It's a Square World".

And from the very depths of my memory, Torchy the battery boy.

• Upvote 1

I remember the name 'Bumblies' but nothing about the programme they were in.... The same with Torchy. Didn't care much for Michael Bentine on TV

Not TV but wireless in the mid-1980s: Anyone ever listen to "Wiggly Park"? I was an avid listener and have since been trying to get a recording of the series but to no avail.

Ah - Torchy, torchy the battery boy - he's a very clever walkie talkie toy

Best wishes

Peter

Annette Mills on Muffin the Mule - she died suddenly of course and her brother John Mills personally answered all the letters that were sent in.

In the 50s there was Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and oh yes I remember Jenny Handley and Pans People - got there autographs. We had our television from Redifusion the first cable TV.

Best wishes

Peter

The Golden Age of Children's Television by Geoff Tibballs

I bought this book a few years back and absolutely love it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1852864079?keywords=golden%20age%20childrens&qid=1451258937&ref_=sr_1_2&s=books&sr=1-2

For 1p plus £2.80 postage it's a steal.

It's one of the best books I've ever bought.

Also available here: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=golden+children%27s+television

I used to like Jonny Morris as the Hot Chestnut Man.

Also Shirley Abbeycare who used to sing Three Little Fishers. (not sure name spelt correctly)

I also loved Johnny Morris as The Hot Chestnut Man

Suggest you check out this brilliant website:

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/

Lots of the previously mentioned programmes (and some theme tunes) are detailed here including Shirley Abicair the previously mentioned Australian lady who played a zither.

BTW it was Frankie Howerd who recorded Three Little Fishes

)

I was born in 1950 and loved Annette Mills and Muffin the Mule. I also enjoyed the TV dramas The Railway Children and The Silver Sword.

I used to think Tim who drew Bengo was brilliant along with Spotty Dog in The Wooden Tops.

• Upvote 3

Frankie Howerd told the story but left the interpretations to your own imagnation,brilliant comedy actor and orator

Rog

• Upvote 2

I remember Roy Rogers and Dale Evans - we used to call him rock head Rogers as in one episode two men hit him on the head with a massive rock and as they bent to take his guns he jumped up and strated fighting again. Even his hat wasn't dinted

Best wishes

Peter