Golden Age of Children's T.V.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any one remember Tingha and Tucker, with Auntie Jean....I was a member, and my photo was shown on one episode...   

I think the rot set in with that awful BBC program "Grange Hill" absolute & utter garbage, this is when kids started to become brats, not children anymore.

I remember on Tingha and Tucker there was a sign made by members, you put your fore finger along your nose towards your forehead, and bowed your head. I am a mine of useless information!

I am surprised the PC brigade have not censored some of the children's programs.

The Magic Roundabout with Zebedee telling everyone "It's time for bed"

In the Night Garden with Upsy Daisy taking her bed everywhere she goes makes you wonder about her profession. The Pontipines and Wottingers two families of ten that look very similar?

Not to mention IgglePiggle's Tiddle?

Andy, Teddy and Looby Loo all living in a picnic basket, what was that all about?

Alas! the age of innocence long gone.

Does anyone remember a children's drama called 'The Silver sword ' ?.

I remembner that. Wasn't Melvyn Hayes in it? He was in everything else.... :)

Col

That story of the Tin Soldier was a bit different to the one I know... I seem to remember the soldier only had one leg because the manufacturer had run out of tin and the ballerina appeared to have only one leg as she was pirouetting - that's why the soldier fell in love with her... he thought she only had one leg the same as him! At the end of the story the little soldier ended up melting on a fire and a sudden (mysterious) gust of wind blew the ballerina on the fire too, so they were together for ever. All that was left on the fire was a little piece of tin shaped like a heart and a charred flower from the ballerina's hair. I'm feeling a bit choked now as I remember this story ..... it was beautiful

Donovan did a song about it.

Col

• Upvote 1

I remember a cartoon thing called 'Bengo the Puppy', which was narrated by a 'kindly old gent'.

Also something about a cowboy called 'Hank', who was always getting into scrapes with 'Mexican Pete'.

And in the early 60s there was a kids drama series called 'The Blackness', which was a mystery to do with spies and stuff in the couuntry somewhere... I think.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312099/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Col

Speaking of 'Hayes'. I well recall Elton Hayes, who sang lots of stuff but probably most famously this one:

He used to present 'Children's Hour' too.

Col

I remember the names Bengo the puppy and also Hank and Mexican Pete, but I can't remember any thing they did. I seem to remember a cactus being used as a background for Hank as he rode along on his horse. It was a 'rolling' background so the same cactus kept coming round again and again!

Just seen the Donovan song a couple of posts back - not quite the same story as I remember it but beautiful nevertheless.

Not a TV programme, but I remember I loved the original story of the little mermaid - not the Disney version! The end is "and she felt her body slowly but surely dissolving into foam". That made such an impression on me, because she'd knowingly taken the risk to become human for a while and make the prince fall in love with her. Sadly, she was unsuccessful but I loved it because she'd taken that risk. On reflection, I think there's a sermon in there somewhere....

Hi Col, didn't Elton Hayes sing the theme tune to Robin Hood starring Richard Greene?

I remember being in Bengo's club;until one day he sent a message to me and said that as he was soon to be starting school he didn't think that he would have the time to carry on writing to me. Din't matta tho cos I was startin skool at same time missen.

Was Hank and Mexican pete in Four Feather Falls?

• Upvote 1

Hi Col, didn't Elton Hayes sing the theme tune to Robin Hood starring Richard Greene?

Apparently it was Dick James.

However, I always loved this hip n cool tune. I had it by Geraldo and his Orch, but can only find this version by Tony Pastor. It was evidently written by Louis Prima.

He took from the rich man,

Gave it to the poor man,

He had a fear for no man,

Except for his chick... whose name was Marianne..

Priceless!

Col

Elton Hayes did William Tell then .

Dunno. I'll check.....

David Whitfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_William_Tell

Elton Hayes sang a song, 'Whistle My Love' in a film of Robin Hood in which he played Alan a Dale;

Col

Broxtowelad # 62. I think Hank and Pete were before Four Feather Falls. Much more simple cartoons with revolving sets, as Margie said.

For me the highlight of childrens' TV was the Blue Peter programme with Valerie Singleton and the baby elephant. A zoo keeper chap brought it on and it promptly peed all over the set. The keeper tried to restrain the jumbo and slipped on the wet floor. Amusing as this was, what struck me as being funny was the keeper - small in stature, stout, uniform, peaked cap and toothbrush moustache. The absolute epitome of a zoo keeper as seen in comics and cartoons.

• Upvote 1

I loved Worzel Gummidge when it was read at school and I watched the whole series when it was shown on tv with Jon Pertwee with my children and again when I bought the dvd series with my grandchildren.

I remember most of those mentioned but worzel was always my favourite.

Also from BP, the one where John Noakes climbed Nelson's Column - ladder at the top leaning backwards, no safety harness or anything - no way the'd let a 'celeb' do that nowadays.

I used to like the dubbed Tales from Europe; I particularly recall The Singing Ringing Tree and The Tinderbox.