Golden Age of Children's T.V.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any one remember Tingha and Tucker, with Auntie Jean....I was a member, and my photo was shown on one episode...   

I think the rot set in with that awful BBC program "Grange Hill" absolute & utter garbage, this is when kids started to become brats, not children anymore.

I remember on Tingha and Tucker there was a sign made by members, you put your fore finger along your nose towards your forehead, and bowed your head. I am a mine of useless information!

Re: Oztalgian's earlier post....

Unfortunately not. That's the music that was used later.

Interestingly the original music also featured a flute and I’ve often wondered if it's another one of Bach’s compositions.

Thanks for trying.

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2018 at 12:45 PM, Mess said:

I came across this link at the end of last year

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

For those who haven't seen it I thoroughly recommend it. It's packed with information from actual listings in The Radio Times.

It's helped me with lots of names and dates that have been swimming around in my ageing brain for a long long time.

I've tracked down a couple of Sunday teatime children's dramas from the 50s The Black Tulip and The Silver Sword and I've also established that Patricia Driscol presented Picture Book (Monday's Watch with Mother episode) from it's inception in 1955 right up to April 1963 when Vera McKechnie took over. 

Strange I know but some of this stuff has been driving me mad for a good few years.

I'm also desperate to track down the original theme tune to Picture Book. I can only find the later music they used when Ms McKechnie took over.

I heard it again a year or two back but it wasn't named so I'm none the wiser.

I heard this elusive music again last night when I was watching Salvage Hunters with my good lady. Thanks to my Sky Q Box I've got a recording of said music and my son is now trying to identify it using his music recognition aps. I'll keep you posted.

Unfortunately not Ian.

Bach's Badinerie is the theme music used when Vera McKechnie took over in 1963

The original theme music when Patricia Driscoll was the presenter is the one I'm searching for but thanks for your efforts.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Loved Picture Book! According to Wikipedia, this was the only music ever used for the programme.

Re my earlier post. That is what I thought too Jill, but Mess is convinced there was another so I guess we will have to see what he comes up with.

Patricia Driscoll played Maid Marion in the TV series Robin Hood with Richard Greene. The theme tune to which used to greet the Reds when they ran out at the City Ground in the 60's

Apparently, Patricia left in 1957 which is the year I was born. I watched the programme in the early 60s. Of the various programmes on offer, it was the only one I liked. The Flower pot Men and Andy Pandy seemed very childish. My older sister liked Muffin the Mule but I don't remember that.

Most of the children's programming, both on radio and tv, was accompanied by good, classical music which was regularly to be heard in our house anyway. Much more soothing and calming for young children than today's fare.

4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The Flower pot Men and Andy Pandy seemed very childish.

The only thing left to say is "Flobadob" and "Babap ickle Weed"

But I think the little house knew something about it, don't you?

Image result for bill and ben
  • Like 1

Just sat and read all post to this topic (sad I know) 

The best one of all to me was Dr Who, (only MargieH )gave this a mention, and of cause there was "CrackerJack" I think these two, were 2 of the best children's programs. Don't tell anyone but I still like to watch Dr Who.

I hated Dr who! I could never understand how Daleks could get up stairs.

We did not have a TV until I was about 13/14 but as a child a neighbour of my grandma occasionally let me watch hers.  The two I most remember are Torchy the battery boy and and a very silly one (even to a child) Twizzle who stretched his arms.

One presenter scared me, he looked into the camera and said " are you being good because I'm watching you" I really thought he could see me and I'd just told the lady a fib so I could stay longer and watch more. I suddenly remembered I had to be home tout damn sweet and ran off.

The best program by far for me was children's newsround, loved it.

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 7:25 AM, DaveN said:

Most of us will remember Sooty who was 70 thos week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-44886443

I've just discovered there are several Sooty films with Harry Corbett in colour on YouTube. Well worth a look if you remember the original black and white TV shows.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Mess said:

I've just discovered there are several Sooty films with Harry Corbett in colour on YouTube. Well worth a look if you remember the original black and white TV shows.

I watched Sooty only on a black and white TV when I was little, so when my mum showed me a sooty puppet in a shop window, I remember telling her he was the wrong colour.  I was sure he was grey and black and not yellow!

• Like 1

I loved Crown court. Weekdays at one, so I only ever saw it when I was ill off school. 

Andy Pandy, surprisingly, has Russian phrases in it. Looby Loo is basically Russian for I love you. My wife cannot understand why I giggle a bit when I tell her I love her in Russian. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Who remembers the ITV programme Popeye the Sailor Man?

I remember watching it in the early 60s on Monday teatimes in grainy 405 lines and B&W of course.

I used to enjoy the cartoons but the presenter used to bore the arse of me. He was an old guy with a white beard and pipe in a sailors outfit. Definitely a forerunner for Captain Birdseye. I think he used to have a Jack Russell dog with him too.

In true sailor fashion he would refer to the viewers as shipmates or maties and drone on about stuff I wasn't the slightest bit interested in. His role seemed to be to pad out the 2 or 3 Popeye cartoons that were shown in the slot.

As I've aged I've become more and more like the overweight, hamburger munching character Wimpy.

I see from Wikipedia that J Wellington Wimpy was a major character in the original newspaper strip but when the series became an animated cartoon series he only had a minor role because he was considered to be "too intellectual"  That really is me to a tee. Fat, greedy and intellectual lol

I can remember the Popeye presenter. He always gave me the creeps, didn’t like him at all, but then didn’t like the cartoon much either!