Golden Age of Children's T.V.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any one remember Tingha and Tucker, with Auntie Jean....I was a member, and my photo was shown on one episode...   

I think the rot set in with that awful BBC program "Grange Hill" absolute & utter garbage, this is when kids started to become brats, not children anymore.

I remember on Tingha and Tucker there was a sign made by members, you put your fore finger along your nose towards your forehead, and bowed your head. I am a mine of useless information!

I used to enjoy Johnny Morris telling stories as The Hot Chestnut Man but thereafter I agree with you Brew he was somewhat naff.

I've just checked out the BBC Genome site https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/ which is a real treasure trove for lovers of old BBC TV and Radio programmes and it has continue to evolve.

You can now view the contents of old copies of The Radio Times as scans of the originals. It goes right back to the first issue from 1923. The old adverts are just wonderful and the contents in general are an outstanding read.

I used to like Willy Wombat best. He used to fall asleep a lot IIRC. My role model these days.

There's a FB appreciation page here: https://www.facebook.com/251323384924669/posts/willy-wombat-was-great/717602521630084/

BTW there was a very naughty corruption of their names when I was at school in the early sixties which I won't repeat.

• Like 1

What an amazing organ the brain is.

This has just flashed into my head.

Boomerang, boomerang this is our song,

Merrily, merrily we go along.

Boomerang, boomerang look over there,

It's Tingha and Tucker the two little bears.

I wasn't a big fan of the show although as stated previously I did warm to Willy Wombat.

Strange how these things stick.

I remember on Tingha and Tucker there was a sign made by members, you put your fore finger along your nose towards your forehead, and bowed your head. I am a mine of useless information!

• Like 3

Your forefinger along your nose and your thumb at 90degrees to your cheek. Not that I ever watched it you understand. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2016 at 11:20 PM, DJ360 said:

Speaking of Blue Peter, Shep and John Noakes.

When I was an active caver back in the 70s, one of my friends somehow got roped into a caving trip Noaksy filmed for Blue Peter. They were descending Alum Pot, which is a massive open pot several hundred feet deep. I've been to the bottom a couple of times and it can be pretty hairy. Anyway, they were descending via an underground shaft which sits a little away from the main pot and is called 'Diccan Pot'. It is basically a single vertical drop and comes out in a large cave leading from the bottom of Alum Pot.

So Noaksy (on film) says " OK then.. I'd best leave Shep with Ian.." (My mate) Whereupon and out of shot, the BBC crew take Shep from Ian and chuck the dog in the back of a van.

Ian then proceeds to lead the descent of Diccan Pot, which is being done by abseiling on a single rope. When Noaksy gets part way down he's heard to say . "Eeeehhh, ah can smell buurrrrning"

Whereupon Ian shouts "Turn your head!! Now!!!

Noaksy replies. 'Why's that Ian?"

Ian replies. "Because you're burning through your own rope with the flame from your f*&^ing Carbide Lamp!!!!"

Needless to say, the film was edited. :)

Col

I was a caver for many years and know Alum pot well. (Cheese press was the worst) Carbide lamps! I had forgotten them but the smell of them was adorable. I recall little piles of carbide burnout all over.