Checking out at the supermarket, the young cashier suggested to me that i should bring my own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.

I apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

I said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. I went on to explain: Back then, we returned milk bottles, fizzy drink bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household rubbish bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.

We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 240 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.

Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of Wembley stadium. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the post, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the tram or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mums into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's £35,000 SUV or MPV, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off. Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

If I live to be 100, I couldn't better this. Spot on!

• Upvote 2

Love the last sentance Catfan, how very true, if only these youngsters knew what life was really about for us back then, they would die a thousand deaths, the only green thing I knew was the grass stains on ones, err, err, um - enough said..........

• Upvote 2

I hate all the waste of prepacked food. What do we do; get home, unwrap and throw packaging in the bin. If I can find a way of using packaging around the house, rather than throw it straight in the bin I will do.

Under my stairs, it is a mine field. If you move one plastic container, it causes an avalanche, I can't bear to throw them away!, I keep everything and usually find a use for it sometime.

We bought a bag for a Christmas Gift, inside I unpacked eight large sheets of white tissue paper screwed up to pack it out. I have filled the bag with goodies and the tissue paper is now neatly folded, waiting for its next use? It is safely tucked away among my plastic containers. :)

Gillie gillie hots n pepper cats n alanbogen by the sea.............................its only on me arm........don't panic caarnie..........LOL.

• Upvote 2

No Loppy aint been on much lately,......been busy with a couple of things...........and thanks for asking mate,......you too have a good xmas.

• Upvote 1

Without being too specific...........you could say 'ive slipped back into some old roles'.......... slywink.......lol.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I always look underneath, and if there is a triangular recycle sign, then it goes in with the rest. 

Some say LDPE, MDPE etc, so I presume they are sorted at base. 

• 1 month later...

I recycled a massive amount of small black and brown plastic plant pots, large plastic trays, and those flimsy little black trays that contained bedding plants to a local garden centre that has facilities for their disposal. 

However, rather than save them up for years as I have done in the past, I want to put them in my recycling bin, but most are filthy dirty and contain traces of compost. The label on the bin says only clean plastic allowed. So, do I waste resources by washing them, or just lob them in my general waste bin. I took the latter option !

Well I'm baffled, perplexed and getting somewhat fractious regarding the recycling of organic matter.

After shopping this morning, I told madam to throw the old salad stuff out of the fridge, and put in the new purchases. I have a little bin for such old stuff near the back door. Walking past, I noticed the small piece of limp cucumber still in its polythene covering. I politely asked madam to remove it, as I'd be emptying the stuff in the compost bin later. 

Lo and behold, when I went to empty it, I noticed that the soggy polythene was still in the little bin, as was the elastic band and plastic label still attached to two limp spring onions ! I had words, but unfortunately they fell on stoney ground.

Just what is it regarding recycling that SOME women don't manage to grasp ? Now most I dare say know what's what, but surely it can't be too difficult to understand what is organic and what is not. ... Can it ? 

No ladies, don't all berate me at once, as I just can't take it !  

Is it just me who's a nitpicking, pedantic, boring twot as I'm frequently told, or do others encounter such difficulties? 

Give  me strength as my dad would say !