Just for Girls wer'nt it Ann,?............me Dad caught me playing once,and said he'd take me Dolls off me if he caught me again..............

• Upvote 2

Mmmmm, It must be something some of you brothers like to do the same. My brothers used to do that to my dolls. They would push the faces in on my celluloid dolls and they never went back to the right shape. Of course that was after they had hung them from the kitchen door with a shoe lace. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Snobs. I just remember the following but not sure if this is the correct order:

Hold them all in your hand, throw them in the air and just catch one on the back of your hand. Throw that one up and catch it again.

Do the same thing but catch 2 on the back of your hand etc

Then 3, then 4, then 5

Next came 'scatters' where all the snobs were scattered on the floor

Pick up one of them, throw it in the air and pick up ONE from the floor, keep one in your hand, throw up the other and pick up another single snob. Keep doing this until you've picked them all up singly

Then scatter again, pick up one of them, throw it in the air and pick up TWO from the floor. Keep them in your hand, throw one up and pick the other 2 up

Scatter again and do the same thing, this time picking THREE up (then the odd one that's left)

Then do the same but picking all FOUR up

Then there was nine flies where all the previous steps were repeated but 'snatching' (not just catching) the snob that you've thrown up.

Is this what other people remember?

• Upvote 5

In some parts of country it is called jacks. We would finds any stones to play Things used to kind of go in seasons = snobs, conkers, marbles, faggies, whip and top. I remember playing hoop and stick and went miles then lost my stick so had to walk home!!!

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 2

Snobs were always 5 cubes; jacks were 10 stars and a little ball, and when playing jacks you threw the ball up and let it bounce before picking up the stars. Jacks was easier - perhaps boys played that!!

• Upvote 3

My snobs were made of pastel coloured plaster (like the photo in #9 top left) and I think I bought some at a shop at the bottom of Westdale Lane. Not on the same subject but I remember buying a 2d sucker from there as well, before I caught the number 25 bus home after school.

Why do we remember such insignificant stuff, I wonder...

• Upvote 3

I have bought my Granddaughter some Jacks and a Harmonica for a giggle from the sale in Laura Ashley. I couldn't resist it. Christmas wouldn't be the same without us all showing our skills on the Harmonica. I'll try and get first go. Good job Elf and Safety wont see us passing it round! Not quite Snobs but Jacks are better than nothing. She probably won't be bothered but I'm pretty sure us oldies will have a game and get her interested. Can't wait.Yahoo.

• Upvote 2