Gascoigne falls once more

How many more times can he go through this?

The link from The Daily Mail outlines the latest fall from grace of Paul Gascoigne which is arguably becoming predictable news in these times.

We've perhaps debated previously here his life and times, his successes and great failings. Many have little sympathy and that's fair enough. For all he is or fails to be and above and beyond that, it's a sad waste of a man, whatever your viewpoint on him and his character. I might agree with those who argue there is an element of 'choice'. Nonetheless, it's a truly sad and now long-running story.

He is now being weaned on small amounts of alcohol in order to treat him. This is a recognised method of dealing with an alcoholic's physical symptoms where more drastic methods can be harmful or even fatal. I'm glad to see at least that the hotel in the report refused to give him any more alcohol.

He clearly has a resilient constitution as many would be dead by now. It has been difficult to see a happy ending to his story, so far has it run.

Gazza 'being given alcohol to save him'

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once went 10 years without a drop of alcohol passing my lips. Then my 11th birthday broke the streak.

Its easy to criticise,but I don't think any one knows or understands the mind and the Demons with-in it............

Paul Gascoigne may be a "dick head" but please don't forget he is also ill. Alcoholism is not easy to quit especially when the stuff is all around us. Please note my post(#5) concerning this with my

To some people alcohol is as adictive as heroin or crack cocaine with the additional problem of it is all around us and easyly available.

My fitst wife was a alcoholic and she was well aware it could kill her but she carried on drinking(tried to hide it from me) and eventually it did kill her.

P.S. she was admitted to hospital on at least three occasians the third being the last as she died there on June 1st 2002.

• Upvote 1

My sincere condolences Bubble.

Re Gascoigne, the quicker this tw4t is off the face of this planet, it'll be better for all and sundry.

I'm fed up to the back teeth hearing about this idiot. Unsympathetic..... You got it.

Plus he cheated Forest in the Cup Final.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, and they should go too.

• Upvote 1

Even simpler if the papers would stop printing the crap about him we would all be better off.

Afterall there are thousands of other alcoholics about.

Some of them are M.Ps

P.S. you could always stop buying a paper I don't buy a paper these days & this thread is the first time I've heard of this episode.

• Upvote 1

Paul Gascoigne may be a "dick head" but please don't forget he is also ill.

Alcoholism is not easy to quit especially when the stuff is all around us.

Please note my post(#5) concerning this with my first wife's problem.

• Upvote 4

It's not a point of being quick to judge, it's what each person seriously believes.

Because certain members have views differing to ones own certainly doesn't mean you are right and others wrong.

Its what we strive for on here. Freedom of speech to a certain extent, and freedom to express different views.

• Upvote 1

I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've always enjoyed a drink(started well before my 18th) but can always have a few dry days each month.

And anyway the price of beer in the pubs(i dont enjoy beer as much at home) keeps my quantity down.

• Upvote 1

We're not discussing sons & daughters, that's a different scenario completely.

He is clearly one of life's casualties, just cannot cope with life ------ always a reason for everything though, I bet it runs in his family and if so, he should have tried harder, he had a great life and future ahead of him - the fame just went to his head and now it is an illness which he cannot beat, like Georgie Best........My friend's late husband was an alcoholic, she went through hell, he did try over and over again to stop, but just couldn't manage it, he was found dead in a ditch with alcohol poisnoing, now she has the same problem's with their son, must be genetic..........I did read that it was a sign of a Selfish person......

So what, is that crucial to the problem?