4k Smart TVs

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thin TV's don't have speakers, they use transducers, no way in the world will they sound good, because they are so small they only reproduce high frequency sounds. For good sound reproduction, yo

That's a very valid point. The highest frequency the human can hear is around 20,000 Hz. Many folk aged 60+ may not manage to pick up half that, certainly applies to me. Good job we can hear (and feel

Bravia40x,samsung ue55ju6800,5mbpx netflix,bandwidth5mbtx,streaming,.............i know ive woke up this morning,but what planet am i on ?

We used our TV without a sound bar for a short while because the shop didn't have a curved one in stock. Although there are no visible speakers on the tv it was OK without the sound bar and it doesn't make that much difference to us. I think the big selling point of the one we've bought is the colour, it really is good.

• Upvote 1

Just replaced our old crt tv with a cheapo 49" from Tesco for under £200 . The sound was tinny but expected that from the reviews before buying it .

Being a cheapskate bought the cheapest soundbar I could find , now even cheaper at £23 and it does make a tremendous difference apart from the fact it's another remote on the table and you have to scroll through for the correct sound source when its switched on .

Does have the advantage of being bluetooth so you can play your tunes from the phone through it .

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4296652.htm

• Upvote 2

I Think most modern TVs need separate sound systems now otherwise they cant make them as thick as a credit card.

In future we will have large thin TVs with Bluetooth remote sound systems.

The thin TV's don't have speakers, they use transducers, no way in the world will they sound good, because they are so small they only reproduce high frequency sounds.

For good sound reproduction, you need bass, mid range and high end speakers mounted in a well made cabinet with sound insulation to reduce vibration in the cabinet material, there is no other way of producing good quality sound, so even sound bars are extremely limited to "compromise" sound quality.

Doesn't really matter to most of "us old ones" our hearing has been ravaged by time.

• Upvote 3

Doesn't really matter to most of "us old ones" our hearing has been ravaged by time.

That's a very valid point. The highest frequency the human can hear is around 20,000 Hz. Many folk aged 60+ may not manage to pick up half that, certainly applies to me. Good job we can hear (and feel) that bass!

There's a site to test high frequency sensitivity here..

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html

• Upvote 2

My high end hearing is shot, I don't need to do a test, I suffer tinnitus real bad, partly due to working in a noisy environment and partly through a serious illness I had a few years back.

I used to be able to hear high frequencies most humans can't, bats for one, and when I started my apprenticeship, we had a high frequency noise on the face communication system, I was the only one who could hear it!! Drove me bloody bonkers!!

If we had next door neighbours catfan, they would complain how loud I have the stereo and surround sound is when I'm trying to listen to a movie or some music.

A lot of damage to my hearing was done by the continuous mining machine, impossible to wear hearing protection, due to having to listen for the props "talking", could have cost us our lives had we worn the muffs we were issued with.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Best buy for a long while Hisense 58" 4k 3d TV from Richersounds with 6 year warranty, £699

£999 from anywhere else. Its a cracking TV. Brilliant picture and the sound from the TV itself is very good with good bass.

But improved by putting it through my 850 watt Sony 5.1 ch - DVD Home Cinema System.

• Upvote 1

Samsung seems to be the way to go at the moment, their gear is excellent. Also, if I'm buying computer bits such as fixed disks I always go for Samsung if I can. I have two Samsung monitors on my home PC, excellent quality and long lasting.

ASUS have a two year warranty with their monitors BeestonMick.

65 inch version is $1399 from Amazon here Mick, free S/H no tax.... that translates to around 850 quid.

#40.

We have a pair of Samsung TVs here but nowadays a lot mote manufacturer's products are good, excepting Chinese !

Most flat panels are made by only a hand full of factories worldwide in any case.

My PC monitor is a flat LED TV, half the price of a dedicated monitor but much better in many repects, foreign no name manufacturer but exactly the same as my Father in Law's "Sharp" LED TV. They are both TOSHIBA models been rebadged !

ASUS have a two year warranty with their monitors BeestonMick.

We have some Asus monitors at work, they are pretty damn good. I reckon the Samsung monitors have two years on 'em now as well. The thing is, they're so cheap now if you get five years out of 'em and they fail you just buy a new one. My two were around £110 each. Considering I paid the best part of £1000 for a Sony Trinitron monitor at one time (bleddy huge thing for a 17" screen) I think they are now VFM.

Samsung seems to be the way to go at the moment, their gear is exellent.

Samsung 4k 60", £1,499.00

5 year guarantee included

5 years instead of 6 years, No 3D, £800 more?

The Hisense 4k 65" is £999 at John Lewis.

Both JL and RS only sell quality gear.

Would RS or JL offer lengthy guarantee or even stock a set that was likely to be troublesome?

Hisense have just taken the spot of third largest TV manufacturer in the world, alongside making other items such as large American style fridge freezers.

Other 'Name' Manufacturer's cheaper set are not actually theirs, only the badge. They are manufactured by Vestel in Turkey.