Tollerton Aerodrome

A couple more of G-AMYW of Hunting. 1957 Tollerton. I believe the contraption on it was something to do with geological survey but don't quote me. The second picture might reveal more as you can read what the aircraft says on it.

ab2gb8.jpg

The gang. My Father is the one in the 'clean' white cow gown. He was a chargehand or foreman or something by this time. I used to know who all the other people here were but that info has left the memory system. Someone may know someone!

1zekox2.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Chulla has said it was Fields who did the work on the Daks for the Yanks. My Father was one of those who did the work on them. They also did maintenance work for other airlines including BEA. He ha

I went there in 1969 to a kinda dinner dance with a fella called Aiden Palmereston who lived in a big Mock Tudor House in Tollerton, he bought me a long black slinky dress from the Birdcage Boutique,

A view inside Tollerton's main hangar, showing two DC-3s, a York, two Proctors and a Prince. We talk about missing the old local railway sights and sounds, it is just the same for the local aviation s

Note what I think is a magnetomer under the fuselage, looking like a bomb. It was trailed behind the aircraft on a long wire. There is something sticking out of the rear fuselage also. Interesting aircraft.

I have only just noticed since I put those last two here that two of the cabin windows still have the plugs in them that you pull out to stick your rifle through!

For those who are interested in the history of Tollerton aerodrome, there is a very good book - title is Tollerton, an Airfield for Nottingham 1929 to 2007. Its authors are Howard Fisher, Bob Hammond and Nigel Morley. It was published by the Keyworth and District Local History Society in 2008. It had 264 pages and cost £6. ISBN number is 0-9524602-3-8.

• Upvote 1

Around 1970 I went there to a disco or gig (can't remember) and had my coat nicked, devastated! Never ventured back until the other year when we went to an Indian Restaurant there, which is probably still trading but have no reason to drive out that way for an Indian when there are plenty of good ones in town.

I went there in 1969 to a kinda dinner dance with a fella called Aiden Palmereston who lived in a big Mock Tudor House in Tollerton, he bought me a long black slinky dress from the Birdcage Boutique, had a great night....I stayed over at his house as it was too long a drive to Hucknall and had to go down to breakfast in my evening clothes, I felt very conspicuous as his family were posh, but were very nice to me and they had a maid who bought me breakfast in the breakfast room, no less........., He was a nice guy and I often wonder what happened to him.............He probably would have married well, he was far to posh for me, I was just a miner's daughter from mucky uckna back then...........I didn't see your coat Lizzie, but I once had a sheepskin coat stolen from a Bernie Bar.................

• Upvote 4

Very good. My father would still have been there in 1958 but I don't remember him saying anything about Lincolns. Is it the Kings Cup Air Race you are talking about for 1972? I remember going to see that but can't remember when it was.

Very good. My father would still have been there in 1958 but I don't remember him saying anything about Lincolns. Is it the Kings Cup Air Race you are talking about for 1972? I remember going to see that but can't remember when it was.

The Lincolns were quite famous at the time, some entrepreneur had decided to buy RAF redundant stocks and convert them to fly meat over the Andes from Argentina, a pipe dream, three arrived at Tollerton, two were converted, sat around, then got scrapped, sad.

I recall the famous Kings Cup Air Race that took place in 1967 and was won by a silver P-51 Mustang, I cycled over there and watched it when I should have been revising for my 'O' Levels. Sheila Scott??? also took part in her Piper Twin? that she'd just flown around the world in record time, apparently.

The airshow was a one off in 1972, or so I thought, I looked on You Tube and it seems there were more with even Concord taking part.

A view inside Tollerton's main hangar, showing two DC-3s, a York, two Proctors and a Prince. We talk about missing the old local railway sights and sounds, it is just the same for the local aviation sights and sounds.

Tollerton%20hangar_zpsnr2qemdp.jpg

• Upvote 3

#26, regarding Hunting aviation, when I worked for Mcintyres I was sent to a warehouse, I think it was on Trent lane at Castle donington, to sort out all of their surplus spares, all of it was going for scrap, there was dozens of propellors, lots of instruments and engine parts. Everything was labelled and was still useable. The poor storeman was nearly in tears, seeing it all being scrapped. Probably worth a fortune to collectors now, there was skips of it, it would have been about 1995.

At other times I was sent to East midlands airport, to cut up some parts, I think they would have been some part of the wings, they were brand new, they were all packed in new wooden crates, the cost of the crate alone would have been more than the scrap value.

• 7 months later...

Getting back to topic, I used to fly control line and radio control model aircraft out there on Sundays in 1962 and 1963.

I still fly my models but out back of my house in a farmer`s field about the same size as the aerodrome!. That is Australia for you (LOL).

• 8 months later...

G - AOFO used to belong to the Sherwood Flying Club at Tollerton. It was permanently withdrawn from use (I don't know why) in February 1963. I don't know what became of it and all of my friends from the flying club who would have been flying in that era are now up in the sky themselves and are also permanently out of use!

• Upvote 1
On 01/01/2016 at 11:38 AM, LizzieM said:

Around 1970 I went there to a disco or gig (can't remember) and had my coat nicked, devastated! Never ventured back until the other year when we went to an Indian Restaurant there, which is probably still trading but have no reason to drive out that way for an Indian when there are plenty of good ones in town.

Just come across this thread..........and funny thing is Lizzie i could have been at the same 'do' as you mention,......but i think it was a ''savemore supermarket'' do,.........anyway took a girl there first date,but she went off with the 'Drummer' in the band.........and i went home with his smart 'Beatle' type overcoat,......velvet collar the works,..........dint really fancy her anyway................lol.

The building housing the Indian Restaurant (Saffron City) is still there,  https://goo.gl/maps/gJ1MHoM323U2   but the place seems to have closed fairly recently; its website has disappeared and its Facebook page says it is permanently closed.

On 06/01/2016 at 3:38 PM, Chulla said:

A view inside Tollerton's main hangar,....

The main hangar has recently been demolished; this is how it looked half way through the process.

8iOcv7C.jpg

Myself and three friends used to keep our aircraft in that hangar. Many happy memories of pushing planes around in there. Sad to see it go. One of our group was an ex Lancaster flight engineer, another was a navigator on Mosquitos and another was a navigator during his national service. I was the only one who was young enough to have avoided military service. Just two of us left now!

Very sad to see that Hangar being demolished. I wonder how long the aerodrome can survive now with the encroaching housing and the usual complaints about "the noise" from people who knew or rather ignored the fact that it was a long established aerodrome when they bought property there.  I remember that we used to go around by the Canal and sit in the York fuselage and other aeroplane detritus to the northern edge of the drome behind one of the RAF hangars.

Another resident of the late 50's was Taylorcraft Auster Plus D G-AIXA. This aeroplane was later owned by an RAF colleague of mine and based at Cranwell. It is still extant, but now it is suspended in the RAF Museum at Hendon in it's original  camouflage colours.  Other residents of note were the Miles Messenger and Gemini of T. Shipside and Messenger G-ALAW.  I can remember our excitement at some of the unusual visitors  such as the Convair 340 of Saudi Arabian Airlines and a Dakota of Turk Hava Yollari or the Royal Navy Sea Prince's

I have a few photos of pre-war days taken at Tollerton. If anyone else has some I for one would be pleased to see them.

I don't have any pre-war photos, but by coincidence I was there only a few days ago.

This is what the main hangar has ultimately been reduced to.

tollerton_zps1kdu7yev.jpg

Part of the former site is now occupied by a private hospital "The Spire". A strange location for people who might want peace and quiet after an operation.

The site of the old hangar is in the foreground; the hospital is in the background.

G1Dyxan.jpg

And one for plane spotters; I'm familiar with the usual light aircraft there, but I spotted this manoeuvring around. Someone will know what it is.

2ZWjS0w.jpg

GTIGA belonged to Dereck Leatherland when he owned Truman Aviation. It was originally registered GAOEG. I don't know if Dereck is still around. Must be getting on as he was older than me! The aircraft is still registered.

• 5 months later...

I used to catch the bus out there in the early 1960`s with my model aircraft. The Gee Dee model aircraft club used to fly control line and free flight and the Forresters club would fly radio control. Geoff Pike, George Bradley were a couple of the radio chaps names I remember. They would fly the Ed Kazmursky ORION aircraft, the 1960 world champion one.. I eventually made an ORION here in Australia in the 1990`s when I was teaching at RAAF Wagga. Great companions and great days.