Tollerton Aerodrome

Last time I flew into Tollerton they were talking about it being sold for housing, don't know if anything has come of it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Chulla has said it was Fields who did the work on the Daks for the Yanks. My Father was one of those who did the work on them. They also did maintenance work for other airlines including BEA. He ha

I went there in 1969 to a kinda dinner dance with a fella called Aiden Palmereston who lived in a big Mock Tudor House in Tollerton, he bought me a long black slinky dress from the Birdcage Boutique,

A view inside Tollerton's main hangar, showing two DC-3s, a York, two Proctors and a Prince. We talk about missing the old local railway sights and sounds, it is just the same for the local aviation s

There’s no housing on the airfield yet but the main shareholder in Truman Aviation, Brian Wells, is a property developer, farmer and grain store proprietor amongst many other things. He’s currently developing a large area around the Wheatcroft Island at Edwalton. He is 88 and very wealthy so I would think the airfield is ripe for a sale. He’s already sold a big chunk of the airfield to the Spire Hospital group and their large new building abuts onto the Sherwood Flying Club premises. There are also other new industrial units. I’m no longer a member there because the place has gone to pot but my contacts tell me they are unsure of the future. In contemplation of renewing my licence I took a look at Gamston near Retford which along with Netherthorpe are the only general aviation fields in Notts but well to the north of the county. I don’t think Rushcliffe council would oppose building at Tollerton as it would bring them more income than they receive from the current occupiers. From my occasional visits the airfield is not very busy and the helicopter operation has moved out to new premises near Wymswold.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

There’s no housing on the airfield yet but the main shareholder in Truman Aviation, Brian Wells, is a property developer, farmer and grain store proprietor amongst many other things. He’s currently developing a large area around the Wheatcroft Island at Edwalton. He is 88 and very wealthy so I would think the airfield is ripe for a sale. He’s already sold a big chunk of the airfield to the Spire Hospital group and their large new building abuts onto the Sherwood Flying Club premises. 

I said he was 88, that should be 78, sorry Brian!

I'm amazed that SFC is only run 'part time' and is all a bit 'ad hoc'. They have facilities what many flying clubs in the midland envy. I think  Donnair or Derby would make better use it.

Sherwood has always been, since inception, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. All the instructors were unpaid volunteers although I think they now get expenses. It came into being on the lapse of Players Flying Club. Back in the 70’s when I was a director the place was really swinging socially and we had some amazing times down there. Now it’s all gone a bit dour. There is another flying school on the field which is full time but more expensive. Most of the old flying characters have, themselves, flown off into the sky! I think the future is in some doubt. I meet up with old flying friends on a Monday evening. One is still a social member - I’ll see if I can get some up to date info.

Had some crackin meals at the Charde........Also some great nights at the dances in Tollerton Aerodrome, back in the late 60's -  Wonder where all the fella's are now ?    Aden, where are you ?

It's now the Charde Oriental (a chinese restaurant) and I'm afraid the food hygiene scores are very poor at the moment. I remember many years ago my friend raving about the place - particularly the large amount of veg you used to be given with your meal.