Good pictures.

Whereabouts on Woodborough Road was the Enterprise Hotel? On a street corner but I can't make out the name of it on that picture.

A good post, DaveN... hellothere

Even more eerie is the other NottsPost thread regarding the deserted centre of Nottingham a few days ago - nobody at all!!!!

http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/Abandoned-Christmas/pictures-28427874-detail/pictures.html#1

• Upvote 2

There was an Enterprise Hotel at 176 Woodborough rd, somewhere In between the area of Peas Hill Rd and Robin hood chase? Could be the same place? Probably demolished in the early 70s.

I found this Link with a few Pub addresses in, it might be interesting? It also covers other counties?

http://pubshistory.com/Nottinghamshire/Nottingham/index.shtml

The first picture could quite easily have been my grans back yard ! she lived on Corporation road St Annes, and my memories are quite vivid of her time and mine there as a child.

Funny really - when I was little we lived in a two up two down terraced house with no bathroom or hot water system and the lavatory across the yard.

Funny really - we didn`t know it was a slum. We just thought it was our house.

Mam kept it spotless with elbow grease and hot water from a gas boiler.

We were certainly crowded. Privacy was at a premium!

We didn`t know it was a slum, though. hellothere

• Upvote 8

You're spot on there Eileen, we must have lived in blissful ignorance! Everyone was the same so we just accepted what we had. I'm sure there was a lot more community spirit though - or is that selective memory like the fact it never rained in the summer holidays???

• Upvote 1

Whereabouts on Woodborough Road was the Enterprise Hotel? On a street corner but I can't make out the name of it on that picture.

It was on this corner, next one up from the church. The road where the white van is parked is now Westville Gardens, but the earlier equivalent was Northville Street. https://goo.gl/maps/ULEgcprmcXQ2

Didn't there use to be a post office building on Brook Street? I think it was where you used to collect PO Box deliveries, or it may have been part of the sorting office? I was based there for a couple of weeks when I was training to work on the counters.

She sure did Carni,Eileen's post rings very true..the houses were old but some kept them spotless!

Kloross? Was it? in the toilet and Zoflora everywhere, we even had a lady up the street dubbed 'Mrs.SweepyFront'.

Doorstep painters and carpet beaters were in abundance.

Mind you there was a few dodgy ones- a family from Luton moved in,Terry..if I recall,he wouldn't work when jobs were plentiful, his partying kept the street awake..so my Dad introduced him to a sterilised milk bottle off the windowsill.. wonder where I got it??

Talk about Shrieber or Hygena..the De LA Rue oven door,when opened.. Missed the scullery wall by 5 mil!!

We would use mangles for torture and often my Mother would see off a knicker pincher with the prop!!

I recall this perv nicked two elasticated stool covers one night!!

Slums they were,but standards were abound..Sunday shoe polishing..and woe betide if you touched that bottle of Dry Sack in the sideboard.

Street and house parties were great..people nowadays don't want M&S party food trampled into yer Flotex 21!!

As in most areas we had a neighbour on the game- we sat on her doorstep listening to Trojan music..one morning whilst greasing me trolley axle..a full pipe band..bearskins and all trotted out!!

Xbox teens have seen nowt!!

Spot on there regarding cleanliness, my grans place was old, run down, and she was a widow so not well off, but it was clean, the front step shone with her scrubbing it.

And yes remember the Chloros and my grans favorite some green soap, not sure if it was Sunlight, she used it for everything including me at bedtime ! (the soap not the bleach :-))

My mums family originated on Sun Street, Cliff ton originally found me that map a while back too.

Always remember my great aunts talking about having a bath around the corner at the bath house, must have been the Vic baths there adjacent to the old sneinton market.

• Upvote 2

#14 On that map that cliff ton posted, the new building used to be Shipsides , then the PO garage, the apartments was the old Brook street sorting office, and the newer old parcel sorting office can be seen further away and also next door the rear yard and building which was Bath st stores, (B Telecom).

All places I worked in and helped repair, maintain, improve, in the late 60's and throughout the 70's.

Pete, The Engineer, will also have many memories of these buildings, being ex PO Eng too.

Another thing I remember was that all the plumbing was exposed, lead pipes running up the walls,easy for the plumbers..no boxing in.

Loved it when the Gas man counted all the shillings on the table..made stacks and then gave a percentage back to my Mother/me!