Another thing I remember was that all the plumbing was exposed, lead pipes running up the walls,easy for the plumbers..no boxing in.

Loved it when the Gas man counted all the shillings on the table..made stacks and then gave a percentage back to my Mother/me!

Until I was about six I put my"savings" into the gas meter dad told me it was a money box hellothere hellothere hellothere

• Upvote 4

I baffled our new corner shop owner (under 35 & not born in the UK)

When I bought a 1st class stamp(67p) I said 13/6d for a stamp I can remember when I could get six pints of bitter for that :)

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...

BUMP

I have been doing a bit more research on my family tree and as I looked for more info on the area around Huntingdon St and particularly Milk Square, I turned up the link I have added below. I have bumped this thread, rather than start a new topic, as it covers a lot of the slum areas. Take a look at the link on Davids opening post, it is hard to imagine how these people survived.

There is a lot of info in the link that we already know, but it is always interesting to read other peoples versions. Mash a pot of tea and have a browse.               https://nottinghasm.wordpress.com/

• Upvote 3

Some interesting things there, although as carni says, quite a bit has been mentioned in various Nottstalgia threads.

Whoever writes it (and there's no credit or names) has spent a helluva long time researching and wandering around the area.

I just had another look on the link above, scroll down to the image of Milk Square. It looks as though they are having a great time, with the orchestra and everyone dressed in their finery. Take a look and it is difficult to find anyone without a hat.

When we visit our local 'Black Country Museum' on certain days, people dress up in the costumes of the era, and when you see the size and weight of those hats in reality, there must have been a few head aches at the end of the day.

Milk Square in the picture doesn't depict how I imagined it to be. I thought it would be very poor and run down, and dingy. It actually looks quite a cared for area?

• Upvote 1
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:55 PM, Bubblewrap said:

I baffled our new corner shop owner (under 35 & not born in the UK)

When I bought a 1st class stamp(67p) I said 13/6d for a stamp I can remember when I could get six pints of bitter for that :)

And a half crown mix up !!