Carrington Street Canal Street

That's the beginning of the building of Broad Marsh Centre, the gloomy bus station and the multi-storey car park. The road going down the middle of the top two photos is Carrington Street, and a lot of it has now completely disappeared under the shopping centre.

The top photo would be around 1970-71, and the second one is earlier - around 68-69.

In fact a lot of the old buildings on the west side of Carrington Street have survived.

carrington2.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A couple of places I recall..bought a NATO winter parka from the Army& Navy store, Redmaynes for me arrurs ( darts).

Great leather belts and buckles from ?..when I was in full Boat Club mode. Across the road from the chip shop was an electrical store in late 1980 i paid £51.00 for a Sony Walkman.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't help but think that Nottingham has lost a lot of it's character over the years due to modernisation. The history of the city could have been more sympathetically treated, look at Chester for a good example of how it can be done .

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure Redmayne's had the first floor too, remember going up there, but you don't realise there were 2 more floors. Were they let as office space in my youth?

Redmayne and Todd used to run the Thursday league football club that I played for, Notts Corinthians..............and it goes without saying we had the best Strip in the League,

Redmayne & Todd was an absolutely superb sports shop.

My friend and I used to spend hours in there on a Saturday morning in the early 60s.

How we lusted over those shiney footballs and gorgeous cricket bats. We were regularly told off for "testing" the merchandise.

I bought a pogo stick from them for my 10th birthday in August 1960.

My knees were bruised to hell as I learnt how to stay upright on it. It was brilliant when I mastered it.

The other sports stores I recall were Suggs and the Co-op.

I bought my first table tennis bat, a Dunlop Barna in the Co-op basement where they also sold records

R&T, Suggs and the Co-op all used to regularly advertise in Notts & Forest football programmes.

#18. Snap! AG. Me mam bought me a Slazenger bow and one arrer from Redmaynes. Put the arrer through a lad's football. - moving target; good shot!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

What was the name of the place that used to be on canal Street, that used to sell among other things, good quality snooker cue? Back in 1962 when I worked at Bilborough depot, I was advised to go there to buy me own snooker cue. We had a row of lockable tubes for the cues, (next to the dartboard). Timekeeper Alan Brown used to brush and iron the snooker table every week. I was taught to play by my old driver, Joe Handley, smashing bloke!

I had some beautiful running spikes from Redmaynes while at school, white kangaroo leather with red stripes, they were the biz!  
A friend’s dad was something to do with the company. My friend sadly died on the rugby pitch when he was only 23 but his brother is MD of Gunn & Moore I believe.

• Like 1

Great pic"s..could be wrong, didn't Remaynes have three floors? That's were the bows & rifles were.

It was an 7 years old paradise! 

Never a cricket player but didn't they have their own gorgeous bats?

Went there often,probably on my insistence with mum...

I recall it being expensive.

Did once come out with a brilliant football.:biggrin:

On 11/4/2016 at 10:06 PM, Guest said:

A couple of places I recall..bought a NATO winter parka from the Army& Navy store, Redmaynes for me arrurs ( darts).

Great leather belts and buckles from ?..

Remember that surplus place.. always wondered if they had done a flit, remained untouched for ages.

Think I may have mentioned the leather place before, just before the canal, window was a display of belt buckles, memory thinks it was also, cobbler's, key cutters, Certainly a survivor by the nineties..:(

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

snooker cue?

Mid Seventies,  "inherited' a cue,

Cue's London one piece, more relevant to this site...

.. Radford Billiard Works Nottingham, brass badge, on a one piece case, with a cork lining.. age or any info anybody?

On 4/23/2021 at 3:26 AM, HSR said:

Never a cricket player but didn't they have their own gorgeous bats?

On reflection, think those bats were Gun & Moore, did they have their own shop? 

Remember Sugg sports, a SHORT Left off Shakespeare St, those bats, dominated the window display.

Did Sugg sports and Blacks (I recall on the corner) occupy the same premises?

Seem to remember being able to see down from the Castle probably on Castle Boulevard ...the place where they made Gunn and Moore cricket bats...that were/are famous throughout the Cricketing world.........

Can't recall where their shop was........did they have one in Broad Marsh for a while ?