Alley off Long Row ?

HEY UP want some info LONG ROW used to be Pearson and a couple of other shops facinh Oden cinema right next door to the old Singer Sewing Machine shop was/is a lane way uo to parliament street whats it called any one not been in Nottingham since 1982 it was changing then lived here since 1971 but to a trip back in 82 got very depressed looked "SHAPPY" even down the river, all the steps looked cracked.

my local was the grey hound or plumtree on bunbury street went to trent bridge juniors and boys married a lass from sneinton looking at a photo book sent out for Christmas bought back good memories but could not remember that lane, was a café half way up it any one help wont sleep till I find out what it was called ;I was a meadows boy any old school mates around

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice shot of Long Row in 1949, from the Francis Frith collection mentioned by TrevorS a few weeks ago. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14910

Found some alleyways here....including Hurts Yard http://www.thomwhite.co.uk/?paged=25 and more Hurts Yard here http://www.thomwhite.co.uk/?p=438

Coming soon, to a bookstore near you. The Escapades of Benjamin. So big, it will have to come out in 3 editions!

Hurts Yard was lower down, towards the Council House. I bought my wife's engagement ring at Twemlows, which was on Hurts Yard. I think the one Dennis is asking about was just 'The Arcade' as I remember, and ended ended up as a flight of steps onto Upper Parliament Street, facing the Co-op.

Hurts Yard was lower down, towards the Council House. I bought my wife's engagement ring at Twemlows, which was on Hurts Yard. I think the one Dennis is asking about was just 'The Arcade' as I remember, and ended ended up as a flight of steps onto Upper Parliament Street, facing the Co-op.

Twemlows was on Greyhound St. which runs from Long Row and doglegs into King St. I also bought an engagement ring from there!

Hurts Yard, which is still there, runs past the side of Pearson Bros. old store and comes out on Parliament St. and, yes, the Granary Cafe was up there.

Thanks for putting me straight. It was 50 or so years ago, and I've not been back since for a good look around. I dare say my recollection of the grand spiral staircases in the Co-op is a bit dodgy, and the miniature ride-on railway in the Central Market?

#5 Nice photo Cliff Ton.

Seeing the Singer Sewing machine shop reminded me of when my mum bought us a second hand sewing machine there. It cost ÂŁ17 and I still have it. You see similar models in museums: black with gold patterns on and a wind the handle job. The shuttle is not the more "modern" round version, but the old fashioned torpedo shape! We got it for making curtains. I am not great at sewing and when I was at BGS we had to do needlework and use the electric ones. I hated this. They went far too fast and I knew that our next door neighbour who worked at Drury and Edwards used to get her fingers in the electric sewing machines there! Still hate sewing but I will not part with the machine my mum bought. Thanks for the photo that reminded me of all this.

I loved the stairs at the Co-op with the central part going up to the back wall and then branching out into two with the lovely black shiny walls. Walking down them made me feel like I was in a film. All good fun.

• Upvote 1

Thinking.. as one does on a flat January evening, Charlie Parkers was up Hurts Yard,didn't lady Babs Windsor own a beauty salon just past Way Ahead? Was there a side entrance to Pearsons up here? Nonsuch was a shop I recall.and The Waterfall Rst.

Also a club..near Robs records.

Still remember vodka & limes in The Kong Nam with my Mother- looking out the bay window at the ABC cinema,The Lite Bite,Peter Brown and the Odeon.

Thinking.. as one does on a flat January evening, Charlie Parkers was up Hurts Yard,didn't lady Babs Windsor own a beauty salon just past Way Ahead? Was there a side entrance to Pearsons up here? Nonsuch was a shop I recall.and The Waterfall Rst.

Also a club..near Robs records.

Still remember vodka & limes in The Kong Nam with my Mother- looking out the bay window at the ABC cinema,The Lite Bite,Peter Brown and the Odeon.

Have a look at my earlier post #3. Quite a few of the places you mention can be seen there.

Can't recall the name Chrissie? talking 80's,I think another entrance was around the corner towards west end arcade.

BTW thats another cafe we missed,you could sit up high in the window..did it become a cheap cig shop?

Didn't know that,st.Tropez was expensive when first introduced, I ceremoniously walked out of a meal in the waterfall, paid our bill + tip,and her taxi fare home and walked out..leaving diners a little shocked!!

If its West End Arcade there was of course the famous "rip off your toe "escalator now I understand closed, so thru traffic will be in short supply if you have to climb stairs.Would be interested to know when the escalator was installed because in 79/81 I owned the Honeycoombe Cafe at the bottom of the escalator so had to shell out a few bob in maintance and repairs ,but without it business would have been all the poorer....

So far, the person who originally asked the question (Dennisjm) hasn't been back to see the responses since the first post.

We've learned a lot about West End Arcade and Hurt's Yard, but not which one he was thinking of.

Looking at the photo in #5, on the right-hand side half way up the wall, is a white windmill.

The Windmill Cafe was also up Hurt's Yard.

As a youngster I was always intrigued by the Windmill Café sign which features in the photo.

I posted about it a year or so back: http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12179&hl=windmill

I think the little shop with the sun blind next to Singers is Mitsons hand made chocolates.

It was also nice to be reminded about the name of the Chinese restaurant The Kong Nam which I used to visit regularly for lunch during my college day release days in the late 60s. They used to offer a great value 3 course meal which usually included a nice curry.

I'm sure many other readers of these pages have found that if you look long and hard enough on this website you will eventually find all the answers to the names of people and places in and around Nottingham you've forgotten or maybe never even knew.