Strathdon was opened in 1970, I think? Could be wrong,I had my eye op in '65 and went to the hotel and cafe there.what I call City Gate,opposite kiddies Korner..now a cob shop that section was demolished later than up near Baker & Plumb. The small co-op shops were then demolished, as were their petrol pumps and the Co- op put in that big side window near Toll Bar.plus wasn't there a subway going under to City News and top of Chapel Bar? The modern bank had a big black eagle on the wall.

I hadn't realised that Steeples were in town too. The one I remember was in Daybrook Square.

There was a Steeples on Radford Rd where my mum used to get my school shirts from. They had some trendy stuff as well. When the Beatles were just lifting off in 1963 they had a purple collarless "Beatle " jacket in the window which I wanted. When I finally nagged my mum in to buying it for me it had been sold but they also had a brown tweed one which she bought me instead. I only wore it a couple of times before it went out of fashion.

In the early 60s I used to get my jeans from Stevensons opposite Lenos cinema. It was a very popular shop with all the young lads in the area. They were one of the first shops to have Beatle boots (aka Chelsea boots) with the black elasticated sides and cuban heels. I was gutted when I went to buy a pair and they didn't have my size but I was even more miffed when my best friends mum got him a pair off Sneinton Market.

• Upvote 3

Thanks mess,I never knew Steeples or Stevenson's were there,this site is priceless for titbits! Just wish my Dad was still around to share all this with me!!

Cliff posted a fine picture of the co-op and Chapel Bar last year..shows where the Toll bar is/was now.