1968 Bus Strike

These dark January mornings always remind me of the NCT strike in 1968.

I was working as a school laboratory technician at Roland Green Bilateral in Wilford and had to get up early (for me anyway) to walk from home in Forest Fields. It wasn't much fun at all.

I'd normally catch the 43 into town then walk across slab square to catch the no 40 outside the bank at the top of exchange walk.

The walk took me about an hour or longer until I sorted out a lift with one of the teaching staff.

I think the strike was over pay but I'm sure there are posters on here who can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think it lasted too long.

I don't think the the weather was too cold at the start of that year although I think it snowed later in December 1968 because by then I was working for Boots in Beeston and I remember having to walk home when the Boots special buses were unable to run that evening. Now that was fun because I was with a mate and we were talking and throwing snow around all the way home. Great memory.

Before my time on NCT Mess, so don't blame me !

Yes the strike was over poor pay & the council wouldn't budge at all. Businesses offered to pay the money, was quite a small increase asked for, eventually the council coughed up & paid.

Just remembered, rise requested was £1 per week for six days work, in them days bus crews worked for eight hours & were lucky to get a break. Non scheduled.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In my working life I've learned it's best not to blame anyone. Negotiations are always hindered by "finger pointing"

As a school laboratory technician I too was employed and paid a very modest salary by Nottingham Council. I was much better remunerated when I joined Boots but later learned through my mates at college that Boots pay was well behind Raleigh and Players pay rates.

Boots lab staff got ASTMS involved to try and get a better pay deal but nothing changed. Incidentally the ASTMS rep was Bill, later Baron Brett who went on to much bigger things.

I had an interview with Players in the early 70s and the salary was much more than I earned at Boots. Didn't get the job and had to wait until 1978 for decent money when I joined Pedigree Petfoods in Melton Mowbray. Now that was a good salary.

• Upvote 1

Only ever used NCT buses from Huntingdon Street down to Trent Bridge to go to the Forest matches and I cannot remember a strike, perhaps it was only a short duration and between home games?

Re #7 I used MDT and MGO services to go to work and "down town" and can never remember them going on strike either.

I can only vaguely recall the bus strike, I was in the 6th form at BGS at the time and used to cycle to school and, living off Trowell Rd, we used to catch Midland General buses into town. By coincidence I recall that Bilbraborn was working as a lab technician at a girls Catholic school across town, can't remember which one, how did you cope Mel.

I'm sure that there was a strike on the 'Blue Buses' at one point, I can recall having to walk up Birchover Road to catch the NCT 60 service into town.

• 2 years later...

The 1968 bus strike was over a claim of £1 per week pay rise !

Nottm City Council refused to pay so the bus crews had a strike every Saturday.

Eventually NCC gave in to the bus crews demands after city shop keepers offered to pay the pittance of a rise themselves !

I worked with many crews who took part in the strike.

• Like 1