Flying Scotsman in steam

Courtesy of Brian Marshall whom I know through one of my aviation sites (On-Target Aviation) Many thanks Brian.

Here's a link to his site

http://bamarshall.co.uk/

Aparently she will be up and running next year

FlyingScotsman.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bulwell Common A3 4472 Flying Scotsman - Doncaster to Marylebone c1963 - St Albans Road in the background running parallel with the train

Thanks Fynger,trust the BBC to get the facts wrong, claiming it was just about to make it's first run when it actually happened a few days ago!!

What is it about steam trains? I Just love the sound, noise and smell, when I was young I used to go with a friend and stand on the bridge at Victory Station so when the train went under the bridge y

No wonder the previous owners got rid of it, it was clearly in a bad state, you can see where the cracked frame around the cylinders has been replaced, apparently the rest of the frame was twisted and the boiler knackered too.

Looks like a lot of work to do over the next few months if it's going to be ready in time.

Here's I picture I took of it at Grantham when still running in normal service, just prior to withdrawal, must have been 1962:-

scan0006-4.jpg

I know Brian Marshalls pictures, very good aviation photographer.

2008_0831Caphouse0008-1.jpg

They don't seem to have made much progress since I took this picture in August 2008, except maybe bring the wheels in from the main hall

Rog

Not wishing to knock their enthusiasm and expertise, but clearly York Museum hasn't the heavy engineering equipment or staff to deal with such a massive overhaul within a short timescale and should have known that, when the loco, with all it's known problems, was purchased. It should have been out sourced to a proper engineering company, assuming that we have any left, I can't believe we have'nt.

• 6 years later...

Just watching the BBC News (6:50am) and they were live from Bury where Flying Scotsman is currently raising steam for a test run up the East Lancs Railway shortly. This will be it's first run in 10 years ( at a cost of £4.2m ).

They will be returning live to Bury at about 7:50, worth watching, it looks impressive in it's black livery, under lights and simmering gently.

Incidentally, just been outside to watch the International Space Station pass right over my house, looked like a jewel in the sunrise.

• Upvote 1

I remember seeing it pass the level crossing at South Muskham back in the 80s.

I'd just bought a motorwinder for my Pentax SLR so gave it its first test. Those photos may still exist, but if they do, sadly they're in my first wife's possession.

What is it about steam trains? I Just love the sound, noise and smell, when I was young I used to go with a friend and stand on the bridge at Victory Station so when the train went under the bridge you got covered in smoke. My uncle was a train driver and gave me a ride on the footplate of his train.

I just think steam trains were

MAGIC !!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

I last saw it during the early nineties at Derby and then nearly missed it. I decided to avoid traffic and nip through Ilkeston and along to Horsley and got caught up in water pipes being re-laid. What a carry on that was. When I worked at Derby sidings, we used to be involved in preparing heritage steam locos for the main line. If the right driver was involved he would let me have a wee drive across the sidings (strictly supervised of course). I had a go with The Great Marquess, Union of South Africa and various black fives etc but unfortunately never The Flying Scotsman. It was great to help the footplate men to prepare the engines for steaming, doing a bit of polishing etc. What a privilege. After work (2pm finish) I would drive like mad to see whatever steam loco it was going through Shipley Gate on a test run. Happy Days.

If I had the time to get the hang of this photobucket thingamy then I would post some of my pics. Maybe after I retire in April.......

• Upvote 1

Bury is only half an hour away for me, but I suspect that due to local TV near hysteria it will be 'heaving' with folk today.

Saw the Scotsman on static exhibit at York a couple of years back.

Think I'll do a bit of research and see what plans are for next week.

Failing that, maybe catch it when it goes on a national tour after the 'shakedown' and final paint job.

TBH, I'd sooner see Royal Scot which I believe is back in steam but can't remember where. I well recall it rusting in the sidings at Nottm Midland for ages. It was a sad sight for such an illustrious engine.

Col

[ Indignant mode on] I wish BBC reporters would stop calling it a 'train' It is an engine, or a locomotive. I also wish that they would at least make reference to the earlier claimed (but sadly not proven) 100 mph by GWR 'City of Truro', which I saw in the early 60s as it made stately progress to York via Bulwell Common. [/indignant mode off]

Col ;)

Although I call it a locomotive (as opposed to a train), technically, if it were on the main line as a light engine (what a misnomer) it would be described as a train as is any unit in movement on the main line.

However, The Royal Scot? That was the last engine my grandfather ever drove in 1961 before he had the year off work for civic duties with Nottingham City Council. When he returned for his last couple of years before retirement, all steam had gone from 16A. They wanted him to learn to drive diesels. I can't print here what he told them to do. He ended up spending his last railway years at Derby as a sort of caretaker sorting and cleaning all the artifacts taken from closed railway locations preparatory to them being sold at the many famous Derby auctions. This was before Collector's Corner was established at Euston. Derby at the time was a true Aladdin's Cave of everything railway. Including all the used and collected Edmonson tickets we used to find in abundance littering the floor at the west end of platform one. I remember getting told off by a porter for picking them up.

Re #14, two separate occasions, in the top photo the train has come down the main line (over the viaduct), in the lower the train is on the branch from Bestwood Junction.