Britannia 70047 no name plates.

9F 92250 chimney

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bulwell Common A3 4472 Flying Scotsman - Doncaster to Marylebone c1963 - St Albans Road in the background running parallel with the train

Thanks Fynger,trust the BBC to get the facts wrong, claiming it was just about to make it's first run when it actually happened a few days ago!!

What is it about steam trains? I Just love the sound, noise and smell, when I was young I used to go with a friend and stand on the bridge at Victory Station so when the train went under the bridge y

Stephenson link motion Black 5.

Vulcan ..... Only named Austerity.

#45. Looking at that wonderful photograph all I can say is - Gresley 10, Churchward/Collet 0.

• Upvote 1

Royal Scott.............46170 different steam pipes

46170 had different boiler, the only one of its type. The boiler was redesgned for the rebuilding of Royal Scots, Jubilees, & Patriots. Its boiler situation was similar to 60700, which had also been rebuilt from an experimental high pressure loco.

Re #53. North British I think.

RE #23. We used to leave FFGS around 4.15. So if we were out quickly, we would cycle to the site of Carrington Stn, and we often would be in time to get the first Fast Fish. The fish trains prior to using Brit haulage, would use K3's, B1's and Standard 5's.

This was always useful for copping Immingham loco's.

Other good goods trains were all the north east or York to Wales or the south west. These often produced York or Thornaby V2's or B16's. Great cops.

• Upvote 1

A beautiful K3, a powerful, strong and robust loco developed from an earlier GN design. Such a great pity that none of this class of loco was preserved.

Yes, I remember the K2's briefly. Went to Skeggy behind one at least once.

Actually one or was it two 2-10-0 austerities carried a name at one time.

So did some of the one's that were kept by the WD, 'Gordon' on the Longmoor Military Railway springs to mind. What happened to that, I know it was preserved.

Gordon the Big Engine is blue.

Henry the Green Engine is - er - green.

The picture above shows Henry in his unrebuilt state. As everyone knows, after the unfortunate incident of 'The Flying Kipper' he was sent to Crewe ('a fine place for sick engines') and re-emerged with a new shape - that of a Black Five. Although still green. Hope that's clear?

• Upvote 2

In at least one history of the Railway it's pointed out that Topham Hatt and William Stanier were apprentices together at Swindon Works, and suggested that the latter owed a favour to the future Fat Controller for getting him out of a scrape on one occasion.

Consequently, when Henry was badly damaged in the Flying Kipper accident ('The signal was down, sir!'), Hatt was able to send him to Crewe and get him rebuilt in Black Five form and thus he became a Really Useful Engine for the first time.

• Upvote 1

WD Austerity 2-10-0 600 'Gordon', 601 'Kitchener'.

WD Austerity 2-8-0 400 'Sir Guy Williams', 401 'Major General McMullen'.

All these loco's were based on the Longmoor Military Railway in Hampshire, not far from Petersfield and it closed down in 1969. I can remember the rail connection with the Waterloo-Portsmouth line where it was possible to see loco's and rolling stock from time to time. It's closure coincided with me leaving BGS and starting my RICS Surveying degree at Portsmouth Poly, I seem to recall a section of the line ran alongside the old A3 which I passed many times, but don't remember seeing anything running along it.

I reckon the lines main claim to fame was as the star attraction in 'The Great St Trinians Train Robbery', they always seem to be repeating that film on Freeview, worth giving it a look sometime, if you can put up with Frankie Howard!!

• Upvote 1

MI, as you, like me, were/are clearly a 'Thomas' fan, you might like this little story, and if you read this Bilbraborn I'm sure you were with me at the time, could be wrong!

My old man was a compositor at Hill and Tyler's print works in Basford, his best friend there was a bloke called Terry who's garden backed on to the GCR line off Western Boulevard. Terry was a real railway enthusiast in every sense of the word, he had a large model railway set up at home, he once gave me a Hornby Dublo 'Bristol Castle' that he couldn't be bothered to convert to 2-rail (I still have it) and hatched a plan to purchase a BR 'Crab' 2-6-0 with the intention of keeping it in running order at Wollaton Colliery sidings, the idea proved financially impossible to achieve.

One day in 1965, Terry dragged us off down to London to the National Model Railway Exhibition at Westminster Hall in his Ford Anglia van, clapped out, it used more oil than petrol on the way down there, we sat in the back which was hot and reeked of fumes, were you with us Mel?

I recall that after driving around Central London in a blue haze of fumes, somehow he managed to get parked right outside the main entrance. The exhibition was vast and quite stunning, it made the Nottingham annual exhibition at Victoria Baths look like a side show.

Walking round, we came across this vicar running a small layout called Sodor, yes, it was the Rev Awdry himself with his scratch built models of Thomas, Henry, Gordon et al. Interestingly he had a pre-recorded reel to reel tape on which he had recited the stories and was re-enacting them live, or trying to, nothing went to plan and stock kept getting uncoupled and engines were being derailed, fantastic stuff, though back then, even though I had some of the original Thomas books, I would never have imagined the future worldwide fame of Thomas.

Eventually we wandered over Westminster Bridge to Waterloo Station to witness the real deal, still MN, WC and BoB Pacifics on the expresses then, even the incoming stock was pulled in by Standard tank loco's. I have the photo's somewhere along with the original programme for the NMRE, I think it's in my archive cabinet in the garage.

Happy Days.

Sorry Pete. Can't recall going on that one although I've been in a few clapped out Fords (mostly my own). However, I used to take my two boys to the exhibition at the Victoria Leisure Centre in the early 80s and Rev Awdrey was always there exhibiting 009 in the form of quarry railways. Nice bloke.