Flying Scotsman in steam

I have just been watching the Flying Scotsman setting off from London to York.What a beautiful sight!

They have had to close the east coast main-line due to people on the side of the line.

It was stated that this was not a protest but due to the volume of people wanting to see this famous engine.

They said that steam was dead.I think that this proves the opposite.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bulwell Common A3 4472 Flying Scotsman - Doncaster to Marylebone c1963 - St Albans Road in the background running parallel with the train

Thanks Fynger,trust the BBC to get the facts wrong, claiming it was just about to make it's first run when it actually happened a few days ago!!

What is it about steam trains? I Just love the sound, noise and smell, when I was young I used to go with a friend and stand on the bridge at Victory Station so when the train went under the bridge y

Newark or Retford. It left KX at around 8. York eta is lunchtime or thereabouts.

ALL Gresley engines were aesthetically pleasing and very easy on the eye.

Just a one off thankfully Bubble. It was better when rebuil into the W4.

W1 yes another senior moment. I didn't check my facts.

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandson Ben is 4. I don't think he's ever seen a real steam loco running, but he is a rabid fan of Thomas and his friends. :)

Col

I went up to York to see the Flying Scotsman in the railway museum. It looked splendid stood on the turntable in the Great Hall but nowhere as near impressive as when it is in steam. I'll be nipping up to Pickering while it/s running up and down the North Yorkshire Moors Railway to see it in all of its splendour.

I as told by a curator at the museum that in his opinion, after its boiler ticket expires in 10 years time. it will be kept on permanent display in the museum, never to run again. Such a pity.

Also in there was Duchess of Hamilton in all its streamlining. I'm not old enough to have seen these locomotives running about streamlined. They must have been a spectacular sight. That loco will never run again as it is out of gauge now

Very interesting albert. One of the things I have always wanted to do was have a trip on the Flying Scotsman.

We spent nearly three years whilst courting in the 60s going between Notts and W-ton at weekends on the Steam Trains, so glad I had that experience, not many of todays youth will have that pleasure. Sometimes it was a smelly , smokey experience; but great all the same.

I really adore all the heritage steam locos, but they will never create the true atmosphere of the railway when steam was king.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The awful stink of a badly steaming loco, the thick clag all over the place, the funny wheezing sounds of a very sick loco and of course the layers and layers of pure muck on all the rolling stock. Not forgetting the steam days infrastructure like semaphore signals, multiple sidings, proper station signs, saggy telegraph wires with rows of swallows sitting on them. The list is endless. Happy days.

• Upvote 1