Hi .... Does anybody remember a Family Business, J. & S. Farr Ltd, who had premises on the corner of Parliament Street and Trinity Walk, they were Electrical Contractors and in the same building had a shop selling Electrical Appliances and Light fittings. The Farr family were closely linked with the Home Brewery at Daybrook and also Daybrook Laundry and a lot of work was done for various Public Houses.

The Company went into liquidation in 1969. My first job was here in 1962 (until 1966) The staff / stores entrance was about 50 metres up Trinity Walk and the shop entrance was on Parliament Street, opposite the old Nottm Evening Post Offices.

I can vividly remember a Newspaper vendor outside the shop on a daily basis, shouting something totally incoherent and it took me many months to realise he was saying 'Evening Post & News'.

In connection with the above, I was very interested to learn recently that William Bendigo lived on what is now Trinity Walk.

Is the exact location of the Site of that dwelling known?

• Upvote 1

Yes Malc,remember the shop well,it was all cream with green sills,doors and windows. Inside it had some fabulous displays for light bulbs etc..

I have loads of photos.. as my dad stood opposite on scout parades.

Trinity Walk was originally called New Yard .

Looking in the news archives there was a Bendigo cafe in Trinity Walk in the 1940s . Maybe that was the site of his birthplace ?

Trinity Walk was originally called New Yard .

Looking in the news archives there was a Bendigo cafe in Trinity Walk in the 1940s . Maybe that was the site of his birthplace ?

If we're to believe Wiki he was born 'in the slums between Long Row and Parliament Street'. So not far away. I'd be interested to know exactly where.

One of 21 kids!

You may not have expected to see a photo of the place. According to Picture the Past this is 1971, which differs from your comment about Farr going into liquidation in 1969. But PTP may be incorrect.

parliament%20st%20farr.jpg

And I've borrowed this from the Facebook page of the Nottingham Hidden History Group. https://nottinghamhiddenhistoryteam.wordpress.com/
This is Trinity Walk when it was called New Yard, and they say Bendigo's house is the one on the far right with three steps.

bendigo_1.jpg

• Upvote 3

According to Bendigo's own words it was New Yard off Parliament St .

From The Era 8th Feb 1852 :

"Sir

......(there was ) a statement that I was born in 1812. I wish you to be so kind as to explain for the benefit of the public that my birth is registered in St.Mary's Church , Nottingham as taking place on the 11th day of October 1811 in New Yard , Parliament Street .......

Yours truly John Long ,2 Vicars Croft for William Thompson ( alias Bendigo)"

• Upvote 1

Great picture . Can you read the wording of the sign over the 3 steps ?

Great picture . Can you read the wording of the sign over the 3 steps ?

I've now found that photo is on PTP and they give a date of 1913.

Looking at Directories, the name on the sign above the three steps is Thomas Oldham - Electro-plater. It ties in with the one in the left foreground which is Matthew Manser - Upholsterer.

1911 Census :

Thomas Oldham born Arnold 1846, living at 10 New Yard "a tankard measure-maker".