Went over to Nottingham for the first time in ages yesterday (Saturday).

It was nice to hear "Little John" in the Market Square and other familiar sounds of Nottingham.

A new sound to me though was the odd whirring noise these new trams make, it's a little unnerving, not sure what they remind me of, Daleks perhaps??

One sound that did stick out for me came at 3pm.

At first I thought it must be some stragglers further down the street on their way to the Forest Cup match but then I realised it was

"Mull of Kintyre" being sung at the City Ground and I was on Heathcote Street!

I remember in the early 1960s walking through Clifton Grove and clearly hearing "Little John" strike 11am.

With the current level of background traffic noise nowadays this is probably not possible?

However this all me wonder, has anyone else heard either "Little John" or indeed the crowd singing from other parts of the city?

We can hear Little John most of the time from our house in Mapperley Park, I do love to hear that dong. We can also hear any big event going off on the Forest and we sometimes wonder if we live in Gotham City with the Police, Ambulance and Fire engine sirens whizzing up and down Mansfield Road.

• Upvote 2

I could hear Little John from near Asda in West Bridgford when I used to live at my parents house but, then again, it isn't that far away really...

I love hearing Little John. It's especially audible when it's warm weather and the bedroom window is open.

I agree with Lizzie on the police, ambulance and paramedics sirens. I don't know whether it's just me, but I find it so offensive and penetrating to my hearing system that when one passes me, I really can't help yelling out "F*** Off" .

So if you happen to see a nutter on Hucknall Rd doing likewise, then I'm sorry, it's me.

• 1 year later...

Well this query isn't worthy if it's own thread but has anyone else heard that strange noise during the night recently? To me it sounds like the burner on a hot-air balloon but  a sort of rumbling sound.  I've heard it these past couple of nights around midnight when I've just gone to bed, with bedroom window open. Others have heard it apparently because there's a mention in Evening Post on-line today. 

Yes Lizzie having the windows open I have also heard them, very strange.

There has been a lot of talk on radio Nottm about it but nobody has a clue what it is.

• 3 years later...

Strange hearing things in the night and not knowing what they are. The other night I was driving home and I saw a red light in the sky. It wasn't moving particularly fast but couldn't make out what it was. It certainly wasn't a plane as I wouldn't have seen it quite so plainly. Thought it may have been a hang glider seeing as we have a lot round here but surely flying at night would be dangerous. Mystery solved the following day as it was a helicopter air emergency practicing night flying.