New Houses Everywhere

Seems everywhere you look new housing is springing up,Towns and Cities getting ever closer,...ie Nottm/Derby,......then i hear on Andrew Marr show' this morning our PM saying old council estates should be bulldozed,to make room for affordable housing............whats the old council estates then ?............theres many who just can't afford the new ''affordable rent' let alone buy.

Imagine Nottttingham minus Aspley,Broxtowe,Stockhill,Bilborough,Bulwell Hall,Bestwood est,Heathfield est and many more,these now older estates have provided 'Affordable housing' for many years and are now being turned into big profits for private ccompanys and individuals and making an ever widening gap for the haves and have nots,

Many of us on here grew up in the 50sand 60s in nice council houses,many of us moved on and bought our own places,thats fair enough but many of todays young won't get the chance,with speculaters making lots of money,the 'right to buy' has alot to answer for,many ex council properties now being purchased and rented out at silly prices.

• Upvote 7

Yeah Benj but the wheels of capitalism will not move effectively if speculators are unable to exploit someone somewhere...........

The rules apply to housing as well as everything else!

The last time the experts tried to improve housing, they got it totally wrong.

Basford flats - had a life of less than 30 years. Lenton flats - had a life of less than 50 years. Balloon Woods - less than 30 years. Hyson Green flats - less than 25 years.

• Upvote 2

# 4 Cliff ton - You are so right, as far as I am concerned the Nottingham Councils have always got things wrong........I remember the collar system in the 70's too and those cheap ugly flats.............

I have always thought that there was to much back handers on the Council................

I came from Hucknall and all the houses built by the council there as far back as the mid1800s were built to last and most of them have..............

• Upvote 2

The haves and the have nots has been in existence since the dawn of creation and things will never alter.

Some people strive to better themselves, others are content to wallow in poverty and self sympathy.

If it weren't for investors and speculators, we'd all still be living in caves and mud huts.

• Upvote 3

Most councils built estates to house families after their inner city homes were demolished.....they were looked after with pride and many bought their homes......

Today the estates have become undervalued, unloved and a new underclass has emerged who don't want to save and buy their own property.......that's down to the nanny state to provide , their cash is for other commodities !!!!!

• Upvote 7

After suffering and overcoming a rotten situation with the last mortgage I had (thank you dad) due to negative equity I vowed never to buy again. I haven't and I'm quite happy renting, I share a four bedroom house on three floors with two other people who I hardly see. If I have issues with payments (not that I expect to) etc. the social will sort it out, they won't even talk to you if you have a mortgage.

• Upvote 4

Good post Mick,......there are lots of hard working people who don't want to buy......and for good reasons....

• Upvote 1

If anyone cares to watch Homes Under The Hammer, they will see that 99% of property developers are just ordinary, run of the mill, salt of the earth types who just want to do something that they enjoy and make a fair profit. Is this a crime ?

What has happened to this world whereby someone using their skill, initiative, money, enthusiasm and drive to make a comfortable living for themselves and family is frowned upon. They at least had the gumption to give things a go, and good luck to anyone who has the foresight to embark upon such projects. There's absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with trying to better oneself.

• Upvote 5

I can think of many reasons why Council houses should'nt be sold...........but everyone to their opinion.

• Upvote 3

If anyone cares to watch Homes Under The Hammer, they will see that 99% of property developers are just ordinary, run of the mill, salt of the earth types who just want to do something that they enjoy and make a fair profit. Is this a crime ?

Also, most of the people on that programme are taking something which is an uninhabitable run-down wreck of a building, and turning it into something which can be lived in. Better than leaving an empty shell which is wasted.

• Upvote 4

Two of my children rent ( at extortionate prices ) in London and would have a very long and expensive commute if they were to buy outside London......

Why live there ?......their job prospects and lifestyle choices mean they are happy to do so, but they are not asking for subsidised help, they just work longer days and use their money wisely .....

• Upvote 6

Iloved working in London...........just a buzz about the place.....and the feeling of History could'nt aafford to live there tho,

• Upvote 1

HG had an office in Mitchum for about 3 years,after dealing with some of the 'Geezers' down there found everywhere else a 'Doddle',brilliant days (and nights) hope you get there Girl.....as they say in them parts......lol.

• Upvote 1

Cor blimey gav,get down the Frog and give it a curve,yall lav it............see you down the fanny Geezer...........iny old iron...........lol.

Buy to let ? what a legalised racket that is. Joe Bloggs & his uncle & brother are buying clapped out houses in areas that will never sell.

A bit of wall paper & paint then a tenent moves in ,they don't care how much the rent is, the social will pay it.

BTL landlord jacks the rent up as far as possible, just greed, pure & simple. They get away with this because local council's haven't built affordable housing for years, coupled with the fact that bought council houses have severely reduced housing stock in the public sector causing a national shortage.

How a young couple starting out in married life can afford to rent nowadays is beyond me, council housing is out of the question esp if they are not asylum seekers with a house full of kids.

And governments sit back & do nothing.

• Upvote 5