Tomorrow Belongs To Those Who Hear It Coming!!

I thought that a decent tribute to a man that is ingrained into my life and all of ours is due.on a larger scale,David Bowie was the bloke who optimised cool and applied art and visual elements to his work. Along with Rory Gallagher and Rolling Stones and Iggy Pop- he championed the Musicland Studio in Munich and helped Ignatius through his bad times,by assisting him via Lust,Idiot etc..

I seem to remember he lead a campaign in the 60's for long hair,gave Ian Hunter All The Young Dudes..as Mott were about to throw in the towel.

Mick Ronson cited him as "a great mate and front man". His image creation has gradually seeped into our culture.. without us realising it. His re- invention and constant shift in musical out put ensured conversation if little else..Elephant Man being a case in point.

From London Boys to Lodger..he was quintessentially English and that cannot be denied. On matters near to me and Nottingham, well I bought tickets from Way Ahead to see his Glass Spider Tour,like many others I queued outside Selectadisc for Young Americans or Low.I frequented The Asylum Nightclub on Tuesday nights which was guaranteed for a blasting of Cracked Actor or John I'm Only Dancing. This performer plied his trade smack bang in my era and provided the springboard from glam to punk and back again..Tonight MY brain hurts like a warehouse.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sad when anyone dies so R.I.P. David Bowie. I've had enough now though. 12 hours of major news channels with half a dozen songs on a loop and all the arty farty commentators analysing his contributio

My view http://wp.me/p71U2g-gI

I liked this tribute from a non-fan. Beautifully written and highly gracious. Well worth five minutes of anyone's time - admirer or not. 'So I sat on the train and I read of David Bowie’s failings i

Sad when anyone dies so R.I.P. David Bowie.

I've had enough now though. 12 hours of major news channels with half a dozen songs on a loop and all the arty farty commentators analysing his contribution to music to make themselves sound interesting.

• Upvote 9

I have 5 tracks of his on my iPod out of my 3000+.

Like I said it's all the arty farty controllers in the media. I wouldn't normally choose his music but I wouldn't necessarily switch him off.

If a measure of popularity is sales then when Cliff Richard goes look out for at least 24hrs of non-stop media coverage.

• Upvote 1

No one is questioning his contribution to the 'arts' , it's the almost pant wetting eulogising perpetrated especially by the 'trendy' BBC that is somewhat nauseous.

• Upvote 3

I get protective Fly and see the passing of Bowie( and I wasn't Bulwells answer to the thin white duke!) as a loss of our heritage,a days waffling on the telly I can ignore; but he won't be replaced- not now or the future.Yes it is opinion and free speech..but at the back of my mind i feel some Brits can't tolerate media feeding,this 'emphasis'placed on speaking ones mind can blur a reality. I equate that my culture is disappearing and So many in the UK will or have never been touched by someone like Bowie or even care!

If your culture is disappearing, where the hell has mine gone. LOL

As regards media coverage, one can expect it. And there are many who would want it. Pity the media can't be as comprehensive covering ALL news.

A nice piece Moz, in fact better than some I've in the press. However, and I must reiterate that it must be me, but he had no effect upon my life whatsoever. I didn't like his music (other than Rebel, Rebel and Hero's) and I always tend to think that the 'in your face' fashion tendencies went over my head totally and in my mind diverts one from the music, which is always my priority.

However, a trendsetter, legend, icon and more importantly to me, a thoroughly nice person. Thanks Moz.

• Upvote 1

Moz, just to put the record straight, my favourites were Rory Gallagher (yes, I still dress like him, but my hair is now 18ins shorter)

Family, great band, great talent and great songs. The Groundhogs, if ever a man deserves some kind of recognition, then it's Tony McPhee. Great band. Great records. Chicken Shack, Free, and the original Fleetwood Mac. It wouldn't do if we all like the same things in life.

I detest novelty records & acts, superficial superfluous pop, and what I call 'dancing round your handbag music' .

There you go, that's sure to offend someone.

• Upvote 2

I have always liked all sorts of music. If you've read my blog on music in the 60s I saw back then Chicken Shack, Family and the original Fleetwood Mac. I never saw Rory Gallagher or Free, missed them somehow. I saw Tony McPhee just a few years ago at the Brit.

Tony has been very I'll over the last few years with heart problems (Guinness) . I believe he's still doing the occasional solo gig. I'll google him later. My collection is very varied, but minimal soul or similar.

You couldn't dance around your handbag these days, it'd get knicked!

Mick, ive never had a problem with it...............

You've got the strap wrapped around your ankle that's why.

Some interesting comments on here, was I a great Bowie fan, well, despite being part of his era, I wasn't really, respect, yes, but that's about as far as it went. I recall back in 1969 when 'Space Oddity' came out, I was at College in Portsmouth attempting my RICS Surveying degree, us students were all into Free, Groundhogs, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall, Led Zeppelin et al. One of our housemates bought 'Space Oddity' and played it continually, we hated it, and one night when he wasn't around, I opened the skylight and slid it under the roof slates, I wonder if it's still there!!

When the Bowie explosion happened in the early 70's, which, incidentally, caused such crap as the 'Laughing Gnome' to be re-released, my pal Richard, a fashion icon, who I worked with at Royal and Whitehorn opposite the Castle, persuaded me to buy 'Ziggy Stardust' and 'Hunky Dory'. Ok, interesting at the time, but it was not really my thing, apart from that, the albums sparked off the 'Glam Rock' so called Revolution, which I absolutely hated,( the worst gig I ever went to was T-Rex at the University, it was awfull, despite the smoking of certain substances as we walked across Wollaton Park on the way there), I had to turn to US music to avoid it all.

My pal Herbert and I formed a piss take band which we called 'Ziggy Cosmos and the Methane Breathers from Arcturus', all we ever did was write over the top songs and fool around in my living room with guitars, amps and our home made 'Synthesiser' which gave me an electric shock every time I switched it on!!

I eventually bought 'Young Americans', only because Lennon featured on it, that must have been 40 odd years ago, and I've never bought any Bowie stuff since.

I'm not running Bowie down, he was a great icon of his time, he just didn't particularly appeal to me, just like Eminem now, our youth plays him all the time, I hate his stuff, but he is a very talented and influential artist and I respect him for that.

Incidentally, I rummaged about in the garage last night and dug out my original vinyls of Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust, they're a bit scratchy but sound ok, madam came home from work and promptly turned the volume down, being a lot younger than me, she doesn't always appreciate my old stuff, particularly Bowie, as she said, had it been George Michael that had died, whatever his faults, she would be upset, Bowie's death has gone over her head, I'll try her out with Young Americans tonight, if I can find it.

• Upvote 1