Can anyone remember the Clifton Standard Newspaper, (part of the West Bridgford Standard) which was published weekly between 1957 to 1969.

They were the days when the papers actually had more News than Advertisements, although some of the adverts, reading them now, are interesting in themselves, reflecting the different era that we lived in then.

The Newspaper was Broadsheet style and covered everything and was very good on reporting local Sport, particularly, junior football, which I was involved with at that time.

It is an excellent source of info on all Clifton Life during that period and all the issues can be read on Microfilm at the Archives of West Bridgford Library.

• Upvote 1

Yes Malc,could'nt remember the name,but remember a 'Local Paper' that we Advertised in when i worked for 'Savemore' supermarket (part of Farrands/Marsdens) on Southchurch drive in the 60s

• Upvote 1

Benjamin, Mentioning Supermarkets at Clifton.... Can remember a mobile Grocers Van coming round Clifton, It always seemed to park outside my parents house on Colleymoor

Can't remember which Supermarket it belonged to!

• Upvote 1

Grocers Van ? the very idea Malc.........Marsdens/Farrands/Savemore were a bit more upmarket than that mate......lol.

No i only worked there.......did'nt live there,.........got relatives on Surgeys ave though.

Think it was Marsdens on Varney rd and Savemore on Southchurch originally Farrands?.....worked in em both.There's a thread about Marsdens/Farrands you might find interesting.

Worked at all 3 Coop's as well,.....Varney rd,Southchurch drive and the Green,.......all gone now I believe ?

I think the ex Coop on Southchurch Drive, near the Library, is now Wilkinsons.

Had a Saturday morning job for a short time at Varney Road Coop in early 60'S delivering Paint / Wallpaper on Bike with basket on front.

Remember nearly falling off once due to overloading and some of the wallpaper falling out.

My wife reminds me that one of her Uncle's was in Management at Coop (Food Dept ) for several years, for a time at Clifton.

Before my time Malc,.........glad he,s still around though,..........i was Coop in the 90s and early '0' s

Worked with Stan and Sid Howard in the 60s,both Managers for Marsdens,........Sid was Manager at Sherwood and Stan at Netherfield.......any relation ? both be well in their 80s now,...........lovely blokes.

I remember the kids colouring competition in the Clifton Standard.

Amazed one week when our name appeared in it as a winner!

Looking back they probably rotated the winners to even out all of the entrants....

I think the ex Coop on Southchurch Drive, near the Library, is now Wilkinsons.

Had a Saturday morning job for a short time at Varney Road Coop in early 60'S delivering Paint / Wallpaper on Bike with basket on front.

Yes, the Co-op on Southchurch has been a Wilko for many years. The one at Varney Road only stopped being a Co-op a few years ago; one of the last remaining shops which had been there since the very beginning of Clifton. At least during the late 60s the manager there was a guy called Morrell.

I remember the Wallpaper dept; it had its entrance on the corner. Still there but with a steel shutter. https://goo.gl/maps/H56R6gM5Zbs

I know it all because we lived nearby, and I went to Greencroft School (infants and juniors) across the road.

Yes, remember the entrance on the corner.

I went to Greencroft and Brinkhill .... Don't know why I went to each of them ... Didn't have far to go from Home as we lived on Colleymoor Leys Lane, near to the Park.

Left in 1957 to go to Mundella.... Can't remember any of classmate names of that year, although my Brother once sent a photograph of me in one of the classes, taken at Harvest Festival. Would be very interested to learn of any names from that photograh or that era.

• 5 years later...

I believe the manager at Marsdens was a Mr Greenwood (my mothers uncle). I worked there delivering groceries on the shop bike whilst still at Fairham. I would have been 14 in 1961. Then had a paper-round at newsagents Rivergreen/sunninghill parade of shops.

BTW does anyone have class photos of Greencroft junior school upto 1958.

DavdD

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveD said:

I believe the manager at Marsdens was a Mr Greenwood (my mothers uncle).

Ben will probably be along soon to tell us that he knew and remembers such a person.

1 hour ago, DaveD said:

BTW does anyone have class photos of Greencroft junior school upto 1958.

Are you on Facebook ? There is a Group specifically for Clifton School Photos.

I relief managed the Marsdens in about 62' never met the manager.........a lady handed me the keys on the Monday morning.........also worked all the Coops in Clifton plus Farrands and Savemore.........busy lad wern't i.............

• Like 1