gedling road & carlton rd house numbering?

Hi

Some of my relatives once lived at 33 Gedling road, by the Carlton nursery but I noticed when I visited the area that the numbering system isn't normal there are houses 47, 45 etc but 33 is missing in the sequence, nothing it appears has been knocked down or removed...anyone able to explain or know which house was/is number 33??

thank you!

Sorry can't help with the current numbering as it's over 35 years since I lived in the area but there is an advert for domestic staff at number 33 Gedling Rd from 1945 .

The person advertising was a Mrs Torrance .

Deep in my memory from childhood in the 50s, I think my doctor was a Dr. Torrance , so was this the Doctors surgery ?

Information which adds to what DAVIDW has just said.

Looking at old maps for the 1950s, the building which is now the Nursery (No. 37) is marked as a Surgery, and is numbered 33.

I've had to enlarge this a long way so it's not too sharp, but you can see the Nursery building is numbered 33. Further evidence is along the road and you can see 37 and 43 etc. If you work backwards from those clearer numbers, the Nursery is still 33.

gedling52.jpg

Just for any future researchers , Dr. Torrance's full name appears to be William Tenlon Torrance born 1886 , died 1975 .

His wife Winifred died 1973 .

I don't know if this has any connection with the house numbers on Gedling Rd, but I have got a bit of a query with an address of an ancestor. . Does anyone know if the Road from Dr Parks Corner has always been called Gedling Road up to Westdale Lane, where it changes to Main Road.

The reason I ask is my ancestor on the 1911 census lived at 71 Main Street Carlton.(Not Gedling)? I can't find where that was.I have looked on Street Maps but I have not had any luck. Is there any chance that it could be that part of the road renamed as Gedling Rd? There might be no connection but it is just a thought.

I'm only guessing but I would have thought number 71 was somewhere in the central part . There were certainly a few shops in that area .

In earlier maps there was a Main St West and Main St. East though not sure if the numbers run in sequence through both .

He died long before I was born but I knew roughly where my grandads house was on Carlton Hill , quite a way up the hill towards town (leaving Carlton) . Was surprised that it was still called Main Street in earlier times .

• Upvote 1

David, Do you mean central part of Carlton or Gedling? I don't know where the boundary's are. What has thrown me is on the death certificate of my ancestor, it gives the address as Main Street Carlton and not Main Road Gedling. Do you think it could be the same Road just a mistake in the title...... Road and Street? If so. I still can,t locate 71?

Road names have changed around there.

At the turn of the century (1900) the road at Carlton Square was known as Main Street. Going up Carlton Hill was known as Main Street West, and going out on Burton Road was known as Main Street East.

• Upvote 1

Carni . I would have thought Main St Carlton was correct

If its any help, the Earl of Chesterfield pub was number 75 Main Street in 1909

In 1914 , number 73 was a fish and chip shop .

So now you would call it bottom of Carlton Hill !

• Upvote 1

Did the white building here used to be a chip shop ? If so number 71 could be the left hand part of that building ? Earl of Chesterfield is out of view to the right of Southdale Rd .

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCG000143&prevUrl=

• Upvote 1

Based on what DAVIDW has said about numbering.......... the Earl of Chesterfield is just out of shot on the right; I think the man is standing on the corner of Southdale Road, so the houses level with the tram might include 71.

carlton%20road.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thank you David and CliffTon, I have been trying to find this location for a long time, and the change of Road names explains it to me. When we visit Gedling we generally look around that area to see if we can spot the address, now I know why we couldn't find it.

I was interested to see that my ancestors neighbors were a pub and a Chip shop. I didn't realise people could afford take a ways in those days? Quite a while ago you found a Savages Yard(Next to the pub) for me where some of my ancestors lived, we discovered that the Landlord of the pub had the name Savage? Interesting. Many Thanks for your help, if you turn anything else up I will be very grateful.

carni. #19

I have my old identity card,the address on it is 49 main street,Carlton.This is now Carlton hill,but the house is long gone.I can't remember living at 49 and always assumed I was born at 114 Carlton hill,now demolished and replaced with flats.So they either changed the name of the road or changed the house numbers,Confused ? I certainly am.i have tried to find a picture of 114 Carlton hill with no luck it was next to the nags head pub in a row of 4houses which stood back .

Further to cliftons pic,I think the man standing in the foreground of the tram is opposite st Paul's school (now gone)

• Upvote 1

Cliiff Ton. #18

I think the house or shop behind the man on the right is still there,now painted white and minus it's chimneys.

On the other side of the road is what used to be buds paper shop(before the alleyway)then another shop which I think changed hands a few times,at one time it sold bits of furniture ,my mam bought a black leatherette three piece which was trendy at the time....she was paying a bit each week as you did in those days.Well the shop shut and the man dissapeared so she got her three piece without finishing the payments,never found out what happened to the man.

I have found the other thread with the info on Savages Yard, with mention of Carlton Hill being Main Street. I didn't realise I had two lots of ancestors living so close to each other, and just wondering if no71 could be the family in Savages Yard. I need to delve a bit more to see If they could be the same family?

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10614

Carni, I went out with a boy called Kenny Savage for a few months while we were at school at C le W and he lived in the Carlton area (I think). Never went to his house so I'm not sure. Is he on your family tree?

Hi Margie. I knew a family with the surname Savage. The girl was a friend of my sisters; they lived in one of the row of cottages that ran sideways from the road near to the back gate of Gedling Church. No relation just school friends.

The Savage that we are referring to in my tree was the name of the Yard that my ancestors lived in round about 1880ish. Savages Yard probably was named after the owner of the pub, of the same name. Again no relation, probably the landlord of my ancestors? No Kenny Savage or anyone with that name related to me Margie. You never know; Kenny Savage could be an ancestor of the person on the census that we have been discussing. Small World.

• Upvote 1