MPs to vote on national anthem for England

As regards to my post yesterday concerning the erosion of 'englishness'- I stand by it.The proof was there on David Bowie's obituary site,I was brought up not to talk ill of the dead,there are suitable places on this site to post your "opinions"- though social barriers seem to have disappeared in the last few years,probably due to the fact that most of Britain fail to recognise such a loss and their culture and intelligence doesn't give a monkeys anyway!

That actual detachment from so many towards England ( apart from benefits!!) is rubbing off on you,maybe my comments yesterday applied to the " capfitters".

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MPs to vote on national anthem for England Yes, yes, yes and about soddin' time!! And did those feet in ancient time Walk upon England's mountains green? And was the holy Lamb of God On England's

I really hope that they don't choose 'Jerusalem' as the new anthem! The melody is OK I suppose but I think the words are really stupid and based on a sentimental legend that Jesus came to England on

Personally I don't give a toss what they decide. This country isn't english any more. Don't forget the "ethnics" must be catered for too. We can't be seen to be TOO english can we.?

I'll take that as a yes then.

Sorry Ian, you have entirely missed the point the 'capfitters', as you call them, were making. The mild criticism was of the extent and coverage of the obits, and in no way denigrated Bowies influence and achievements.

• Upvote 1

Ian after reading #52 I re-read #10.

The whole message is an aggressive, derogatory, inaccurate and confusing rant.

What has the number of chip shops and burger places got to do with free speech? Halal meat is not peculiar to Nottingham, there are dozens of halal registered restaurants in Dublin, Limerick and even a steakhouse in dear old Tipperary.

What has backbone got to do with tolerance? I think this line is the crux of your whole tirade and I really don't understand the reference to Tobruk.

Someone or several people clearly touched a nerve because of your lack of understanding regarding the media coverage. Shame really as your post are normally interesting and often humorous.

• Upvote 1

If the proverbial fits !

Not a rant,an abstract way of explaining that THERE are other areas on this site.I view an obituary page as a place to express your respect at a loss,but a lot of people on here don't appear to have those set of standards,maybe that has all been diluted by the way that generations today conduct themselves and deem an opine as far more important. I'll leave it at that TVC 15.

Ian, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with critical judgement . Without healthy irreverence, life becomes tedious, boring and nonsensical. NOBODY had criticised Bowie as a person, just a couple of his songs.

I sense from a couple of your posts that there is an aloof attitude appearing. Do you aspire to be better than a couple of fellow members?

• Upvote 1

!! Whatever they choose it has to be better than the Italian. At least with the english national anthem everyone knows the words. Here hardly anyone knows the words.

!! Whatever they choose it has to be better than the Italian. At least with the english national anthem everyone knows the words. Here hardly anyone knows the words.

No many footballers in the England national team know the words!

• Upvote 2

Not that many can speak proper English.

• Upvote 1

#63. Does the Italian national anthem actually say 'Who can defeat us'? Since the fall of the Roman empire they have been a pushover.

• Upvote 1

I see Jeremy Corbyn will sing the national anthem next time. I reckon he could have got away with it if he'd sung the words to the red flag, no one would have noticed.

By Billy Bragg to a tune(the original) most of you will not recognise (The White Cockade)