Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

I have so envied other countries for years, including Wales and Scotland, who have rousing anthems that stir the blood. God save the Queen is a dirge and couldn't stir a pudding.

Let's just hope the MP's make the correct decision.

And, and by the way, maybe once they adopt something better for an anthem they'll stop England cricket playing in blue.

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MPs to vote on national anthem for England Yes, yes, yes and about soddin' time!! And did those feet in ancient time Walk upon England's mountains green? And was the holy Lamb of God On England's

I really hope that they don't choose 'Jerusalem' as the new anthem! The melody is OK I suppose but I think the words are really stupid and based on a sentimental legend that Jesus came to England on

Personally I don't give a toss what they decide. This country isn't english any more. Don't forget the "ethnics" must be catered for too. We can't be seen to be TOO english can we.?

I agree. Plus the England Football team too.... RED shirts at all times unless there is an obvious clash.

Some of the kit colours over the years have been laughable.

• Upvote 2

MPs to vote on national anthem for England Yes, yes, yes and about soddin' time!! And did those feet in ancient time Walk upon England's mountains green? And was the holy Lamb of God On England's pleasant pastures seen? And did the Countenance Divine Shine forth upon our clouded hills? And was Jerusalem builded here Among these dark Satanic Mills? Bring me my bow of burning gold! Bring me my arrows of desire! Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold! Bring me my chariot of fire! I will not cease from mental fight, Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand, Till we have built JerusalemIn England's green and pleasant land I have so envied other countries for years, including Wales and Scotland, who have rousing anthems that stir the blood. God save the Queen is a dirge and couldn't stir a pudding. Let's just hope the MP's make the correct decision. And, and by the way, maybe once they adopt something better for an anthem they'll stop England cricket playing in blue.

Too religious. More suitable for Womens' Institute.

It's a fine tune, I don't see it as religious (I'm the last one to be spouting religion being an atheist for more than forty years) more a rousing tune for the troops.

What would you suggest in place then?

Land of hope and glory I suppose but it doesn't rouse me like Jerusalem.

Both tunes are very good well written music. I don't like the very religious overtones of Jerusalem, starting with the title itself. I don't have any problem with any religious suggestions in Land of Hope and Glory. Writing something new, well we would most likely end up with yet another monotonous drone in D Major by Michael Nyman!

A Scottish friend of mine suggested,...............''There'll Always be an England''

with the following lines...................as long as Scotlands there,

To bare the brunt of battle,

and take the lions share,.............lol.

You know Catfan, you have just hit it on the head!

Living here in Ireland you get a real sense of what it's like to be proud of your country.. its even on sodding milk cartons!!" Buy this, its Irish and saving jobs." Maybe our Scottish and Welsh members see it the same way. I am sick if hearing this "free speech and opinions claptrap".

You lot over there can no longer tell the difference between Patriotism and Racism.

I was in Nottingham on three separate occasions last year,I did not like what I saw. Free speech my Aunt Fanny!!..what with only 3 real chip shops in the whole of YOUR city..if you don't want halal or U.S burger heart blockers..you're screwed!! No sign of a steak and kidney pudding anywhere!!

You bang The opinion and free speech drum..whilst more people celebrate St.Patrick's day than St.Georges!!

A recent survey asked British?? ( whoever they are!) who is/was Churchill?..

The reply??..an insurance dog!! Yep!

The backbone has gone my friends..you lot couldn't even tolerate some repetitive news footage on the death of an English music maker,Like Him Or Not!!

Don't worry though, in five years you lot will be mourning the loss of lead Singer of Johnny Jihad and the shoe bombers!

You need more than free speech and opinions my friends..a little more was needed at Tobruk!!

monotonous drone = God save the Queen

I don't think a new write would do, we'd end up with something from X-factor.

For some reason the English aren't allowed to be patriotic. By law you can't hang a George flag outside your house in England, but I can in Wales, go anywhere else and there's flags all over the place. It's about time the English said "screw you we are English"

• Upvote 2

Anyone a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan? This is from HMS Pinafore :

He is an Englishman...

He is an Englishman!

For he himself has said it,

And its greatly to his credit

That he is an Englishman.

That he is an Englishman.

For he might have been a Russian,

A French, or Turk, or Prussian,

Or perhaps I-tal-i-an.

But in spite of all temptations

To belong to other nations

He remains an Englishman -

He remains an Englishman!

Seriously misinformed BeestonMick

The full list of flags that DON'T require consent

(a) Any country’s national flag, civil ensign or civil air ensign;

(b) The flag of the Commonwealth, the European Union, the United Nations or any

other international organisation of which the United Kingdom is a member;

© A flag of any island, county, district, borough, burgh, parish, city, town or village

within the United Kingdom;

(d) The flag of the Black Country, East Anglia, Wessex, any Part of Lincolnshire, any Riding of Yorkshire or any historic county within the United Kingdom;

(e) The flag of Saint David;

(f) The flag of Saint Patrick;

(g) The flag of any administrative area within any country outside the United Kingdom;

(h) Any flag of Her Majesty’s forces;

(i) The Armed Forces Day flag.

• Upvote 2

Saw this elsewhere:

"Being English is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, and then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American or Australian shows on a Japanese or Korean TV which will soon be powered by a Chinese nuclear power station.

And the most English thing of all?

Suspicion of anything foreign."

As for the English anthem, we have some of the best songwriters in the world so why not get Elton John, Paul McCartney et al to write a new one?

• Upvote 4

Here we go again. Ethnic minorities have no objection to the flag of St George or the Union flag being flown. Saying it's the case is just the usual nonsense trying to paint immigrants as somehow anti-British. BeestonMicks statement just perpetuates this myth and is totally incorrect. Find me some news reports of objections being made by ethnic minorities to British flags being shown or stop spouting nonsense please.

• Upvote 2

On the issue of whether to have a new song composed or use an existing one. Does anyone think that the public at large would form an attachment with a new song or would it be just an anthem that no-one identified with, much like the EU or Olympic anthems. I can't see beyond choosing a song we're already familiar with myself.

• Upvote 2

Which law is that ?

Google it.

It was red tape and you had to pay 2 or 3 hundred quid for permission to fly a flag. That has never been the case in Wales as far as I'm aware.

#14 I don't see the English flag mentioned

Google it.

It was red tape and you had to pay 2 or 3 hundred quid for permission to fly a flag. That has never been the case in Wales as far as I'm aware.

I googled and posted the results. You're talking rubbish I'm afraid. You are free to fly any national flag any time you want at no cost and always have been. The 2012 change of law now allows you to fly many other flags for free too but the flag of St George has never required a fee.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/294072/Flag-flying-fee-is-axed

• Upvote 3