As a recent member, I have been ploughing through past posts and was interested to see Clifton Youth Club mentioned a few times.

I remember The Club which was opposite St Francis Church and adjacent to the site on what is now the High Rise Flats.

Behind the Club was an illuminated concrete / tarmac sports area where we played 5 a side football as part of training for the Clifton YC Junior

Football team, who were members of the Notts Youth League upto under 18's. (1963 /64)

Our home games were played on Farnborough Road playing fields on the pitch immediately opposite the changing rooms.

The Team was organised by Bert Perkins and Ken Dudley, the 'trainer', who took great pleasure in running on with the Cold water sponge and bucket to treat any injuries... You didn't stay injured for long!!

The cold sponge treatment couldn't have done us any harm as we won the League in 1964.

Names I can remember from that time are ... Andy Watt -- Arthur Redgate -- Ray West - Charlie Burrows - David Watts -- Mick Devonport

Bob Woolley - Bob Abdy - Trevor White.

Remember playing for Coop pathfinders youth team Malc about the same time,,on Farnborough rd ground,was'nt it a School playing field?...our youth club was on George st/Broad st in town,now the Coop Arts centre I think..........happy nights there,Dancing and if you were lucky a Snog on the fire escape,i still see a couple of the lads from them days when i'm in my beloved Bulwell,.......Colin Pettit,whose Mam and Dad used to run it,and Harry Fewkes my old next door neighbour on Bestwood..................sorry i'm rambling,...........great mates and great days...........

Remember Ray West - David Watts - Bob Abdy - Trevor White.

Still see Dave occasionally.

I used to go there with Mick Neal when he practised on his electric guitar.

Shouldn't this thread be under Bread & Lard Island & South of the Trent

Hi TRD .... Next time you see Dave, ask him if he remembers Malc ... Used to call Him 'Bomber'

Heard quite a while ago that Ray had emigrated to Australia.

Sorry if in wrong thread, as I said, new to this Site and not fully aware of negotiating around Site yet.

Benjamin ... Can't remember playing against Coop Pathfinders but school field you refer to would be the Farnborough School

which was separated from Council playing fields by a wire fence.

Cliff Thanks for posting the aerial photo of building. Have recently been seen the renovated building while on Tram.

St .Francis Church looks a bit rough, windows broken or boarded up... is it still an active Church? ....

Was a choirboy there in 50's, on duty when it was officially opened.

#4 -moved to 'Bread & Lard' with link left in 'Estates'

I went to Trent Bridge School with some Watts, I think they were involved with Watts Van Hire, Wells Road, St Anns

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing an item on the Midlands news last evening about the gardens of Capability Brown with reference to Belvoir Castle reminded me of some very happy times living in the vale. We lived on Cranmer Avenue on the married quarters estate at what was then the Detention Centre at Whatton Althhough we were outside the village we were very much part of village life our children attended the village school (Archbishop Cranmer) we frequented the village pub (Cranmer Arms) played for and supported the village cricket team (Saturday and Sunday) played football for Vale FC in the Grantham and district league. I went back there a short while ago and got lost when I got to Saxondale roundabout How times and things change.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...