I'm trying to remember when the bridge at Meridian on Haydn Road was demolished - the picture is a still from 1966.

I've got a feeling it was the late sixties but could have been early seventies, does anybody know for certain?

24392170395_a48c631a58_d.jpg

I had my first car in January 1975 and I'm sure I remember seeing (and driving under) this bridge in my early years of car ownership - which means it was there until at least the late 70s.

But I'm not certain, and maybe I just dreamed it.

TBH I don't remember the bridge at all. But I do remember the swimming pool at Meridian which we accessed off Mansfield Rd in the early 60s. As I recall you had to have some sort of relationship to a Meridian worker to get in.

Col

General consensus amongst contacts of mine is that the bridge was gone by 1972, I'd still like to get an exact date if I could - hoping an ex employee might know.

As regards, the swimming pool, access was from Haydn Road and you needed a pass, only available to employees, to get in; I used to live across the road and during my teens used to go nearly every day; it's a shame it was eventually closed.

• 1 year later...

And it seems to have been built some time between the mid-20s and the mid-30s. It isn't on this photo from 1926 - the X is approximately where it would be - because there are clearly no buildings on the other side of the road, but they all appear by 1935. The sports ground to the left of the factory is still there today.

Rn86vnL.jpg

And it's also a good view of Basford railway station.

New Basford station in the foreground, Cooper Brothers knitwear factory over the railway line and Stag Cabinet opposite - although I'm not certain that it was occupied by Stag at the time of the photograph. Also the George Brough works can be seen facing onto Haydn Road just above Cooper's. All demolished now and replaced by housing and car showrooms

• 7 months later...

I used to live Nottingham Road end & would often walk - or roller skate - through to Mansfield Road .. 

I remember this bridge - there were offices both sides of the road, with garages underneath - set in what was once a deep cutting ..

Cliff Ton - How do I get to see the photo you posted ? .. 

philmayfield - my mother once worked at Coopers - & my Grandpa was a Director at Stag and, for a short time, I worked in the Export office a P.P. Paynes .. 

Sue 

Welcome Suek ,

Not what you asked for but this is a pic of when the bridge , under construction in 1934 , fell down !

31592038466_8bbf69f185.jpg

Or from a different angle :

27823312589_87717c89f4_b.jpg

38 minutes ago, SueK said:

Cliff Ton - How do I get to see the photo you posted ? .. 

The photo originally disappeared because Photobucket screwed up everyone's account last year.  I've now re-posted it, so if you scroll back a bit you'll be able to see it.

Thank you .. Great to see these old photos ... So I take it they rebuilt the bridge - obviously much stronger than this collapsed one .. :) .. 

I too have used the Meridian swimming pool; Once past the gate security it was easy .. :) .. It later became an indoor climbing centre .. 

Sue

Hubby tells me that one of Uncles was employed on the construction of this building & that a good part of the frontage collapsed during it's construction .. Apparently, it was held back with a steel cable - the cable snapped & part of the frontage all fell down ..

Sue 

• 3 years later...
On 1/16/2016 at 8:05 PM, zab said:

As regards, the swimming pool, access was from Haydn Road and you needed a pass, only available to employees, to get in; I used to live across the road and during my teens used to go nearly every day; it's a shame it was eventually closed.

I went a number of times during Summer Hols, with a former neighbour of mine who was a little younger than me. I was still living on Bestwood Est.. whilst his family had moved to a property tucked between Valley Rd and Hucknall Rd, with a back garden which backed onto the fence around Nottm prison.  Either his older Sister or one of his parents worked there. I clearly remember going through some sort of gate on Hucknall Rd (Not Mansfield Rd as I said earlier..) and picking our way between factory buildings to the pool.  There was a sort of booth on the left as you entered where some lad was supervising, though as I recall he spent much of his time chatting to girls. There was often a radio playing and I distinctly recall hearing 'Well I Ask You' by Eden Kane.. which would date things to 1962. Maybe things weren't so tightly controlled on weekday afternoons.

Looking at that collapsed bridge and thinking for a bit..  It seems to me the main diagonal struts are all pushing their load towards the centre of the lower spar. Maybe not quite that simple, but whatever .. it doesn't look right.  I wager a small sum that some design engineer got an almighty roasting after that.. even if he kept his job.  A bit like when a gate is hung back to front, so that the diagonal is hung to the opening side, rather than cantilevering back to the post. Everything sags....

When I was doing my engineering course I was really good at working out the stress and stains around a point in a structure and whether a member was in tension, compression or a redundant member. Like much of what I learned I never ever used it whilst working.

• 11 months later...
On 1/15/2016 at 10:04 AM, zab said:

I'm trying to remember when the bridge at Meridian on Haydn Road was demolished - the picture is a still from 1966.

I've got a feeling it was the late sixties but could have been early seventies, does anybody know for certain?

24392170395_a48c631a58_d.jpg

That was me driving that van , the only red one in the fleet, JAU 282D 

I worked at Meridian in mid 60s  and i was driving the red van JAU 282D ,  It was a brand new chassis and cab and the luton body was off my old Thornicroft , the new Austin Clydesdale  came with what was call a motorway back axel and could do 85 mph easily . great motor . Three weeks after we had the motor i met a thames trader near Cockney cross roads, on my way back from Meridian factory at Clowne. the Thames Trader decided to brake on the bend in pouring rain , consiquently the backend of the Traderr slew round and chopped my cab almost in half , so it was fitted with another new cab .  Happy Days .   

1 hour ago, Yellow Peril said:

That was me driving that van , the only red one in the fleet, JAU 282D 

Are you seeing a photo ?  I'm only seeing a box with a question mark. I can't see any red vans.