motor bike and sidecar

You don't see motor bike and side car racing on telly anymore. well not on my telly, it was brilliant to watch

we used to watch motorbike scrambling too Arthur Lampkin comes to mind, a pleasure to watch.

• Upvote 1

Sidecar racing makes an occasional appearance on Eurosport or Motors TV channels, and of course, during TT week on whichever channel has that year's coverage. BBC Northen Ireland also covers all classes during the Ulster GP and NW200 races - accessible via one of the Sky 900-something channels or on the BBC web site when they're on.

As for scrambling, it quietly faded away and you get the choice of either motocross or trials now, in which Lampkin junior is a master. But both seem to be more stadium sports now, rather than a snowy or muddy farm field in deepest Yorkshire.

Karlton, I remember the scrambling well, used to go to Coombes Farm just of the A614 before the Farnsfield turn off.

Saw Arthur Lampkin many times on his BSA along with Jeff Smith. The other big name in British scrambling bikes was Greeves and then came Husqvarna and CZ from Europe and then in the seventies the Japanese invasion.

Many happy days.

• Upvote 1

And as for "proper" bike racing, BT Sport covers MotoGP live, with highlights a few days later on ITV4, while Eurosport covers both World Superbike and British Superbike. MotorsTV also has some racing, usually AMA Superbike and French championship, and some of the endurance events like Le Mans 24hour.

All of it can be a bit too much for my missus as I just have to watch it all when its on.

#1 Karlton..................I remember the scrambling Karlton in the early 60s ?.............and the venue always seemed to be North Allerton

Just beat me to it Ian lol..............when i think of combinations' as we called em, i think of Sat night Sun morning,me Uncle Harold who lived on Bulwell Lane and frequented the Pear Tree most evenings,..........and 'on the Buses' when the Suit cases went in the river,..............by the way Ian do you know Paul BARTON ?

Nice bloke about your age lived on corner of Beckhamton and Eastglade,.........anyway he's a chef at a place i frequent and when i told him i was Old Bestwood he reeled a load of names off,yours being amongst them.

Don't know but they gave Mr Seaton a right good Hiding ,.........i got a Hiding like that behind the pictures in Mansfield,......pair of Brothers.....who thought i did'nt love their sister..............lol.

Ruined me Suit.

Worst place I knew for aggro,though Mansfield girls were very very pretty!

( add-on) went to Mansfield on the train last year,they have laminated posters of banned trouble causers all over the shop with a number to ring if spotted in town.

#10 Cliff Ton Looks like a double adult sidecar cliff

Going back to arthur Lampkin I seem to remember a bike called 'DOT'

• 3 years later...
On 19 January 2016 at 8:32 PM, Karlton said:

You don't see motor bike and side car racing on telly anymore.

Been some cracking coverage on ITV4 of the Isle Man TT 2019, anyone been? 

• Like 1

I went to the Senior in 1969. Cheap trip included train tickets to Liverpool, ferry tickets, a bag of sandwiches, and a copy of MCN, courtesy of MCN; 5 quid. We met friends in Ramsey who gave us a lift up to our chosen spot, The Gooseneck. Highlight was of course Agostini on the MV. Gooseneck was a slow corner and while the field were negotiating it, knees out, elbows out, Agostini, who had caught most of them passed them here on the outside then disappeared up the hill leaving a black rubber line on the road, sounds were awesome since we were sitting on the roadside bank, feet dangling over the edge of the road.

That year the course marshalls were riding the Triumph Trident 3 and I think they were in a 'display' mood as they opened them up departing the Gooseneck. The howl of the 3 was new to me at the time and quite bloodcurdling. A great day out roughing it, sleeping on the night ferry deck on the way home.

• Like 3

In 1965 I Part Exchanged my solo197cc  Francis Barnett Motor bike for a 650cc BSA Gold Star with a Busmar Side Car attached. The deal was done at the Central Garage in Hucknall and the transition from one bike to the other was frightening. Just kick starting the BSA required the legs of a Rhino and the stamina of a Grand National winner and in those days at 10 Stone and 2 lbs and 6 Ft 3 Ins I had neither. The "kickback" from the kick start arm was a real ankle breaker. Just having the Side Car, made passing through gaps something else to take into account and weirdly the first railway bridge I encountered, I slowed down to almost a stop, in the belief the Bike and Side Car would not fit through. In those days 650 cc bikes had a really throaty roar.  At that time I was working at Robert Windsors during the day and the Cavalier pub during the evenings and in consequence arriving home after midnight.The combination of the noise of the bike and the late hour persuaded some of the neighbours to sign a petition requesting me to arrive home with less noise. In the spirit of the good old British compromise I agreed to cut the engine at the top of the street and coast to a halt outside the house. Result. 

• Upvote 1

It was a Black 650 Twin ex Police Bike ev996sps. Loads of fun, because the roads were comparatively traffic free in those days and totally empty, thank God, on the way home from the pub at night-time..The only minor setback was I had to become a dab hand at removing the back wheel and shortening a chain which used to stretch with monotonous regularity. The Bike was also known as the BSA A10.

• 6 months later...