The People's History of Pop

Hi, I'm Paul Robey of BBC Radio Nottingham, purveyor of Nostalgia & Nonsense every Sunday afternoon!

We'd like to share your memories of local concerts and gigs from the '50s through to the '80s. Do you have any pop memorabilia? What about photos with stars?

"The People’s History Of Pop” is a partnership with BBC Music, charting British pop history from the 1950s onwards. You can find more information here: http://phop.co.uk/

Every Friday morning on BBC Radio Nottingham just after 10am, Mark Dennison continues the history of pop – and there’s a special Sunday afternoon nostalgia show on 7th February 12-4pm with me, which will be a celebration of Nottinghamshire's pop heritage. Please feel free to reply here or email me directly: paul.robey@bbc.co.uk

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kath, I was one of the dancers on that BBC programme.....it was called cool spot and ran for a number of weeks........ I can list the artists, some of whom I became friends with ...... Spencer Dav

Yes Mick,there were some Daft Buggers about,.......came out of the 'Boat' one night and a Forest player of the 60s offered to race me over the Trent for a 'Fiver'......him swimming and me running,....

Not very exciting compared to everyone else's memories of pop music in the '60's, cos I never went to a concert, but I did participate in Hot Ice at the Ice Stadium. The Beeb taped 6 shows, lots of po

Good morning Paul and welcome to Nottstalgia. Love your Sunday programme and try to listen every week. Think there'll be a few folk on here who will come up with some stories for you to use. Expect you've already looked through the music threads whilst lurking?

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the warm welcome...

We're thinking back to some of those iconic local venues like Mansfield Granada, Nottingham's Albert Hall, The Astoria, The Cavendish, Colmans, The Empire, The Gaumont, The Odeon, The Palais in Mansfield or Nottingham, Worksop's Regal and what about Sunday concerts at The Savoy Cinema? Not forgetting places like The Boat Club, The Festival Hall in Kirkby, The Festival Inn at Trowell, The Musters Club in West Bridgford and Rushcliffe Leisure Centre. Who did you see and where??

A warm welcome Paul. Always try to catch some of the Sunday show. Keep up the good work, and continue with real music.

• Upvote 2

Never mind all of those, what about the Beachcomber? Charlie Brown laying down the vinyl, playing all those great soul dance tunes. I met my (ex) wife there, I will say no more. As a boy it was great, it was always packed full of stunning girls.

And the Room at the Top.

• Upvote 1

A reminder that there are several threads already on this site about various clubs in Nottingham. Use of the Search box at the top of the page will bring even more.

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5684

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13366

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2352

• Upvote 1

I shall assemble my memories and post them a little later Paul.

Beachcomber, Boat, Brit, Union, Palais. And of course my own small contribution at the 360 Club.

• Upvote 1

Paul ......L shaped room near Trent uni, pigalle club hockley, babels Huntingdon street, ad lib/ beachcomber ( jimmy Hendrix ) st Mary's gate,

Penny farthing Wollaton street......all 1960s into 1970s.....

Pm if I can help you anymore .... Chrissie

• Upvote 3

Don't forget the Boat Club too. Late 60's some of the greatest bands ever!

• Upvote 1

She'll be having her own radio show soon I reckon!

• Upvote 1

Oh no! Let's keep somethings sacred for Gods sake !

Paul, I remember going to see a concert at Nottm Albert Hall in March 1963.

On the Bill were ...Gene Vincent -- John Leyton-- Jet Harris & Tony Meehan -- Patti Brook -- Johnny Temple -- Sammy King & The Voltairs

Advertised as 'Popular Concert' .. Balcony Tickets 7s / 6d .... Can't remember the Balcony, I sat in the stalls.

Done a bit of research on on Pattii Brook... Apparently she duetted with Cliff Richard on 'The Young Ones'.

Can't find anything on Johnny Temple. (apart from an American Blues Artist... assume it wasn't him!!

Sammy King from West Yorkshire, regular support artists on Package Tours in early 60's, with such as Beatles, Stones and Roy Orbison.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Paul. You've certainly come to the right place for the info you need for your show.

This is a post I put on a while ago.

Does anyone remember the Everly Brothers Show at the Nottingham Odeon on the 23rd October 1963. Also on the bill was The Rolling Stones, Little Richard, Bo Diddley and a few other less known people. I took my girlfriend to see the show and it was absolutely fantastic. The Rolling Stones were on their first major UK tour after forming in 1962 and had just released 'Come On'. I loved the raw R&B sound of the Stones and became a big fan in their early years. Bo Diddley had his famed rectangular guitar and his driving, hard edged sound was fantastic.The Everley Brothers stood there and did their stuff but the guy who sent the place wild was Little Richard. He pounded out a song and then started having a bit of banter with the crowd. He'd only sung one song but the sweat was pouring off of him. He took his coat off and unbuttoned his shirt and asked the crowd if he should take it off. You can imagine what their reply was. He then went to unfasten his trouser belt and I thought I'd go deaf with the screaming girls. It was all innocent fun and his music had everyone rockin'. It was a fantastic show and, as you can see, one I'll never forget.

• Upvote 3

i was there Michael, LR was fantastic.

• Upvote 1